Update on NC Sen Soles: May be indicted

This is a discussion on Update on NC Sen Soles: May be indicted within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is an update to this thread http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...er-merged.html State pursuing indictment against Sen. Soles RALEIGH, N.C. A grand jury in North Carolina on Thursday ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    VIP Member

This is an update to this thread http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...er-merged.html

State pursuing indictment against Sen. Soles

RALEIGH, N.C. A grand jury in North Carolina on Thursday found probable cause to indict state Sen. R.C. Soles, D-Columbus, on a charge of assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury.

A spokeswoman for Attorney General Roy Cooper said his office plans to present an indictment to the grand jury in January.

Authorities have said that Soles shot a man in August after two intruders kicked in the front door of his Tabor City home. The grand jury found there was probable cause to conclude that he "unlawfully, willfully and feloniously" shot the man.

Attorney Joe Cheshire has said that Soles fired in self defense. Cheshire did not immediately return a call seeking comment Thursday, and a message left for Soles was not immediately returned.

Soles, who has has spent 40 years in the General Assembly, also was accused this summer of fondling a teen years ago, but the man who made the allegation later recanted.
    State pursuing indictment against Sen. Soles :: WRAL.com
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

... a charge of assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury.
    Authorities have said that Soles shot a man in August after two intruders kicked in the front door of his Tabor City home. The grand jury found there was probable cause to conclude that he "unlawfully, willfully and feloniously" shot the man.
    Much is missing in the news pieces, if a Grand Jury was able to conclude that defending against two intruders who violently entered the home constitutes aggravated felonious assault on criminals.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If he is anti-gun, what is he doing with such a dangerous item that is well known for it's history of just spontaneously discharging and killing innocents.

One is forced to wonder if the grand jury was Pro-gun and took the opportunity to fry him for his views. "Here you go, this is exactly what you want to happen to gun owners. Enjoy the ride."
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I guess he's reaping what he sowed,but even if he has an anti gun stance with 2 guys breaking into his house he should be able to use deadly force to stop the threat
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You guys are coming in late, read the link as noted in the OP from when this story broke.
    He is NOT anti-gun. Very much the opposite.

Do not assume that because he has a "D" after his name that he is automatically anti-gun.
    Same as one should not assume same for persons with an "R" are pro-gun or pro-small govt. or for that matter anything else.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...292-post8.html

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

Do not assume that because he has a "D" after his name that he is automatically anti-gun.
    These days, I view "R" as "replace" and "D" as "dismiss".
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

You guys are coming in late, read the link as noted in the OP from when this story broke.

Same as one should not assume same for persons with an "R" are pro-gun or pro-small govt. or for that matter anything else.

Excellent post, Jang.

Few gun owners realize that 38 US House Republicans voted for the 1994 assault weapons ban and 76 House Democrats voted against it.

There is more to this story than is being reported in the one article. If one follows the other associated stories, the man shot was a client of the Senator. It was not just a man breaking in, as there WAS an altercation between the men prior to the shooting. I'm sure more will come out.
    A grand jury in this state is not going to indict someone who is clearly defending his home against 'strangers' breaking in...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    The two guys weren't strangers. Former clients.Sheriff: Sen. Soles shoots man at home :: WRAL.com
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Based on my sister's analysis (local resident), Soles has some other behavior issues that might included dementia........

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...292-post8.html

- Janq
    Janq - Just gong off the OP title - Anti Gun Senator....I don't know the man, nor live in NC. I take it on faith that the OP title is accurate. If the man is Pro Gun, then I humbly retract my statement. I do not look at "D" or "R" and judge a person. My political views are on both sides of this jacked up 2 party system we have.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    These days, I view "R" as "replace" and "D" as "dismiss".
    +1^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    There is more to this story than is being reported in the one article. If one follows the other associated stories, the man shot was a client of the Senator. It was not just a man breaking in, as there WAS an altercation between the men prior to the shooting. I'm sure more will come out.
    A grand jury in this state is not going to indict someone who is clearly defending his home against 'strangers' breaking in...

I AGREE^^^^^^^^^^^^

Our country was not founded on the absence of religion, but rather the freedom to choose religion, or not. It was founded to be free of dictated faith and allow free expression.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Sen. Soles indicted for shooting man who broke down his door

State Sen. Soles indicted in shooting case
    By Benjamin Niolet
    (Raleigh) News & Observer
    Posted: Thursday, Jan. 07, 2010

State Sen. R.C. Soles Jr. has been indicted in connection with an August shooting at Soles' Tabor City home.

A Columbus County grand jury returned a true bill of indictment Thursday charging Soles with assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury.

On Aug. 23, Soles shot Thomas Kyle Blackburn. Soles said that Blackburn and another man were trying to intrude into Soles' home and that the shooting was in self-defense.

The indictment was expected since the grand jury had previously found probable cause in the case.

The prosecution is being handled by the Attorney General's Office because District Attorney Rex Gore, who has long ties to Soles, recused himself from the case.

Soles is the longest serving lawmaker in the state and he was a key member of the Democratic leadership in the Senate. He announced last week that he did not intend to seek re-election
    Last edited by MattInFla; January 8th, 2010 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Cleaned up posted text
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Distinguished Member
    It's almost too bad he's not running again. We may have had a convert to our cause.

But then again, who knows with the bozos on the Hill...

Kinda hard to run for office if your behind bars
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links