Man is shot in robbery try, possible abduction?

This is a discussion on Man is shot in robbery try, possible abduction? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not even on the website, but lower right page of the obituaries page B7 in the Sunday paper Man is shot in robbery try at ...

Thread: Man is shot in robbery try, possible abduction?

Closed Account Array Steelhorse's Avatar

Man is shot in robbery try, possible abduction?

Not even on the website, but lower right page of the obituaries
    page B7 in the Sunday paper

Man is shot in robbery try at grocery
    by Lisa Renze-Rhodes
    www.Indystar.com
    lisa.renze.rhodes@indystar.com

Sunday April 30, 2006 edition

Two people were hospitalized and three others were taken into police custody Saturday night after an attempted robbery at the Marsh Supermarket at Rockville Road and Lynhurst Drive on Indianapolis' westside.

Lt. Chris Boomershine of the Marion County Sheriff's Department said a man, who witnesses say had a gun, entered the women's restroom at the store and demanded money from a female customer.

The man forced the woman out into the common area near the store's front, where the security guard heard her cries for help.

The guard ordered the man to stop, then fired a shot at him, wounding him as he ran from the store, Boomershine said.

Police located the suspect and two other men and a woman a short time later in the parking lot of a nearby Taco Bell, where the wounded man's companions called for an ambulance.

The Security guard was taken to a hospital with chest pain.

2. Remove Ads

I to am from Indiana and have been watching this story. I am wanting to see how it turns out. The local news stated today that the guard shot the man in the back. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    See, this is the scenario that plays in my mind whenever I see a security guard that should be long retired. I see armored car drivers, bank security, etc. Sometimes in those types of jobs, the gun isn't always going to save you, ie. surprise attack. I don't see these oldies having a chance against some young thug if it comes down to blows.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhorse
    The guard ordered the man to stop, then fired a shot at him, wounding him as he ran from the store, Boomershine said.
    Yea, since the man was "leaving" that could be a problem. Keeping this on updated would be interesting.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Closed Account Array Steelhorse's Avatar

Shot in back?

The story stated that this guy was shot while leaving the store and it gave me some concern. I haven't heard that he was shot in the back.

If the prosecutor gives all the details, I'm sure a Grand Jury would 'no bill' this security guard.

However, if it does go to trial; it seems to me that given the circumstances of the crime, I wonder if it could be successfuly argued that Tennessee v. Garner could be applied under a modification for a private citizen in the use of deadly force.

Under U.S. law the fleeing felon rule was limited to non-lethal force in most cases by Tennessee v. Garner, 471 U.S. 1 (1985). The justices held that deadly force "may not be used unless necessary to prevent the escape and the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others."

Links