Once again - Gave up wallet and keys then shot

This is a discussion on Once again - Gave up wallet and keys then shot within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Five a.m. going to work. Shot at work parking lot. Custodian who gave up wallet, car keys is shot anyway | St. Louis Crime Beat ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Once again - Gave up wallet and keys then shot

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar

Thumbs down Once again - Gave up wallet and keys then shot

Five a.m. going to work. Shot at work parking lot.

Custodian who gave up wallet, car keys is shot anyway | St. Louis Crime Beat | STLtoday

12.16.2009 9:55 am
    Custodian who gave up wallet, car keys is shot anyway
    By Kim Bell
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch
    UPDATED, 11:20 a.m. with new details

ST. LOUIS — A man who works at the Smiley Urgent Care Center was shot on the parking lot early Wednesday — even after he handed over his wallet and car keys to the robber.

St. Louis police have made no arrests.

The 67-year-old victim works in maintenance for the care center, 5535 Delmar Boulevard.

At 5:13 a.m. Wednesday, he was shot two times, in the chest and arm. He was listed in serious but stable condition at a local hospital.

The man had just parked his car and was walking into the care center to start his early-morning shift. A stranger came up to him and brandished a gun. The robber demanded the man’s property.

The victim gave up his wallet and car keys but was shot anyway.

Police have no detailed description of the gunman.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Another attack during a late morning when more people are unsuspecting. I believe we’re going to see a lot more of this tactic in the future. It’s actually quite smart and the BG’s are way ahead of the sheep.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    Ugh. I'm assuming the victim was unarmed and didn't have much choice...

I was discussing this re-occurring scenario with a fellow cc'er last week, who stated that he carried a fake wallet to hand over, that way he wouldn't have to draw his weapon in that scenario .

I told him that I would be embarrassed for him, knowing he was shot dead while armed and did not even attempt to defend himself.

cmb
    I carry a gun in front pocket for this situation, hope it never happens. Do you take the chance of being shot anyway or trying to defend yourself? Pull, point in your line of sight, fire and be backing up for cover.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I was expecting it to be the guy gave up his keys and wallet, and shot the BG while BG picked them up...and was wondering why the thumbs down. Oh well.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Lets see - One thing I would check into is if the employer had a "no firearms" policy; IF they did, then I would sue the pants off of them for not allowing me to have the means to defend myself.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Another attack during a late morning when more people are unsuspecting. I believe we’re going to see a lot more of this tactic in the future. It’s actually quite smart and the BG’s are way ahead of the sheep.
    I am not convinced BGs are planning the morning thing because they think folks are unsuspecting this time of day. Might just be the last thing they did that day before going home and going to bed. Wanting more drugs to keep the "party" going.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Stay armed...stay safe!

OK, here's my wallet, here's my keys, oh!, and here's my bullets...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    I don't think this would happen to most of "us" as we would be likely to have noticed this dirtbag and been ready for him. If you aren't sure, draw to low ready. If he goes away, great! (And be sure to call the cops in case he calls them). If he doesn't go away, he may be a nut who thinks he can get the jump on you, or he might not believe you will shoot him -- your call on that. Don't worry about "brandishing" -- its called "self defense".
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

I quit carrying a wallet in my back pocket due to back problems and started carrying a "slim clip" in my left front pocket and a firearm in my right front pocket...guess which one they'll get.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Unfortunately, my employer does not allow firearms in the building, but they are allowed in our cars. I cable lock mine to the seat frame while at work, but this situation does concern me walking out late at night to a far back parking lot. I wish they had a lockbox or something for when you enter and leave the building.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

And some people still wonder why I carry so often around St. Louis.

I've been on Delmar many times. In fact, I will likely travel Delmar this weekend as part of a planned family event. I will be more heavily armed than all the event security personnel combined.

This poor victim is the poster child for the Anti's ...

1.) Since guns are bad, & only COPS have any business being armed ... the rest of us should be unarmed as he was (my assumption based on no mention to the contrary in the article).

2.) He complied with the BG so that he would be safe & left alone if he simply does what the BG says, & gives the BG what he wants.

.... stay unarmed & always comply ... yeah right ... not me!

I do sincerely hope the vic pulls through & fully recovers.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Stay armed...stay safe!

OK, here's my wallet, here's my keys, oh!, and here's my bullets...
    EXACTLY: Reminds me of this:

YouTube - William Shatner on Gun Control

My gun is right next to my wallet, if I reach back.... no telling which they might get to see first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links