Suffolk (VA) cemetery shooting that left man dead ruled justifiable

This is a discussion on Suffolk (VA) cemetery shooting that left man dead ruled justifiable within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Suffolk cemetery shooting that left man dead ruled justifiable | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com A man who wounded one and killed another in an October shooting ...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Suffolk cemetery shooting that left man dead ruled justifiable | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com
    A man who wounded one and killed another in an October shooting in a Suffolk cemetery acted in self-defense and won't be prosecuted, the commonwealth's attorney has ruled.

Police had charged Chad Andrew Kinney with second-degree murder, use of a firearm, malicious wounding and shooting from an occupied vehicle in the Oct. 17 incident. According to the commonwealth's attorney findings released in a letter to Suffolk Police today, Kinney "reasonably feared he was at risk of imminent death or severe injury."

According to an analysis of the case, Kinney was on his way to a home near Eclipse Drive around 9 p.m. when a truck began pursuing him. Kinney attempted to flee by turning into a cemetery, but the truck blocked him in.

Two men in the truck, Glen Bauwens and Dennis Bailey, got out and began yelling and cursing at Kinney, the analysis said. Then Kinney said he saw the driver's side window explode from what he thought was a gunshot and fired a .40 caliber semi-automatic handgun through both the driver's side and passenger window.

"Bauwens was under the influence of both alcohol and cocaine and Bailey was extremely intoxicated," the report said. Both Bailey and Bauwens were shot. Bailey survived; Bauwens died of a gunshot wound to the abdomen on the way to the hospital.

Commonwealth's Attorney C. Phillips Ferguson said that the shooting was justifiable. "Kinney was confronted with a rapidly evolving situation where he was alone while being attacked by two strangers in a dark graveyard."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    At first, I thought he tried to escape and was trapped. Good shoot.

Then I thought, why not stay on the road until a well lit location or police station. If it were me, the last thing I would do is turn into a cemetery trap at night. Then, I realized the dead and injured had not exited their vehicle. The shooter shot the driver through the driver's side window and the passenger through the passenger's side window.

I wasn't there. Those involved are the only ones that know what happened.

VIP Member
    Yea boy,
    Tough call, especially from the armchair position, but it does look kinda odd.
    But in his defense, the two perps were drunk and coked up, so I'm sure that amped up their behavior, possibly to the point of pandemonium, so maybe the reaction from the shooter was justifiable. I'm just sayin'

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace, we ask not for your counsel, or arms.Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Here is what the Daily Press wrote up on the story....
    Tell me which you feel was reported better...

Suffolk - An Isle of Wight County man will not be prosecuted for shooting a man to death in a "road rage" confrontation, because prosecutors in Suffolk have determined that he acted in self-defense.

Chad Andrew Kinney, 36, of Carrollton, was arrested Oct. 17 after he fatally shot Glenn Bauwens, 42, and shot and injured another man in a confrontation at the entrance to a cemetery on Eclipse Drive in Suffolk. Both shooting victims were unarmed, and Kinney shot them from inside his vehicle.

On Thursday morning, Commonwealth's Attorney C. Phillip Ferguson issued his report dismissing all charges against Kinney. After studying the police report on the incident, Ferguson noted that Kinney attempted to avoid a confrontation, but that Bauwen and Bailey used their vehicle to block him in and then approached his vehicle and broke out a window to come after him. Kinney shot them with a .40-caliber Glock semiautomatic handgun, for which he had a valid concealed-carry permit.

In his report, Ferguson said Kinney immediately reported the incident to police and cooperated fully with the investigation. The forensic toxicology report showed Bauwens had high levels of both alcohol and cocaine in his system at the time of his death. The police report showed Bailey to be intoxicated.

High stress and under 'attack'.........with the limited info and from the safty of my armchair it sounds like a good shoot.

I agree he should've stayed on the road, but not being there I can't objectivly judge the actions taken.

Two drunk and drug crazed idiots forcing a fight after an attempt to escape/evade the situation..........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Sounds reasonable to me, the trapped individual really had no choice...two on one...dark night...attacking BG's blocking exit?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That's what the drunk and doped up monkeys get for trapping the guy in and not being smart enough to change their own fate by letting the guy go.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Links