This Sheriff was hooked!

This Sheriff was hooked!

This is a discussion on This Sheriff was hooked! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Former Sheriff Headed to Federal Prison The former sheriff of Mercer County was sentenced to six month in a federal prison on Thursday. Reporter: WSAZ ...

Thread: This Sheriff was hooked!

This Sheriff was hooked!

Former Sheriff Headed to Federal Prison
    The former sheriff of Mercer County was sentenced to six month in a federal prison on Thursday.
    Reporter: WSAZ News Staff
    Email Address: news@wsaz.com
    Former Sheriff Headed to Federal Prison

BECKLEY, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- The former sheriff of Mercer County was sentenced to six month in a federal prison on Thursday.

Federal prosecutors say Danny Ray Wills, 63, of Bluefield, who is also a medical doctor, pleaded guilty in August to fraudulently obtaining and possessing hydrocodone.

According to court documents, Wills admitted that while he was sheriff, he ordered and obtained 4,500 hydrocodone pills from a Virginia company and paid for them with proceeds from the Mercer County Concealed Weapons Permit Fund.

Wills had the pills shipped to the sheriff’s office in Princeton. The hydrocodone was to be dispensed to "patients."

Wills admitted to agents that he had been taking up to 4 to 6 of the hydrocodone pills daily for about two years.
    I'm pretty sure that he broke a gun law somewhere...
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Seems like a pretty light sentence to me. I would given 15 years.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

WTH??? 6 Months? !!!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

A sheriff and a medical doctor? He must have had his brain removed...
    StuuuuuuuuuuPiiiiiiiiiiiiid.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

He might have been hooked, but they definitely need to reel his butt in. 6 months? Had that been any of us we'd be in for every charge they could find in the book.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    He might have been hooked, but they definitely need to reel his butt in. 6 months? Had that been any of us we'd be in for every charge they could find in the book.
    Yep, that reminds me a video I saw yesterday when I went to live leak from the forum. There was another video there about DA Clay "Boss" Ballman <sp> who was in his car drunk after he ahd commited a hit and run. The cops beg him for 8 minutes to get out of the car in very sof and ginger voice. Just that had me thinking the same thing "what if that was me". Worse yet he was never charged with the hit and run and got a light sentence for the DUI and was later found in the court house parking lot drunk. They took him home in a county car.

Back on topic: So, for those that ask are there two set of rules. Apprently in some cases the answer is yes.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Of course this has to happen in MY state now doesn't it.

"Turning red with embarassment".
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus View Post
    WTH??? 6 Months? !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    A sheriff and a medical doctor? He must have had his brain removed...
    StuuuuuuuuuuPiiiiiiiiiiiiid.

NO Doubt^^^^^^^^^^^^

"It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Slavery has so frightful an aspect to men accustomed to freedom, that it must steal in upon them by degrees and must disguise itself in a thousand shapes in order to be received."
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links