Police/Media: "Shotgun might accidently go off during holdup" - Page 2

Police/Media: "Shotgun might accidently go off during holdup"

This is a discussion on Police/Media: "Shotgun might accidently go off during holdup" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by tns0038 Armed robbery is basically a ransom of the clerk’s life for money in his drawer. Most BG’s who are not hyped ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Police/Media: "Shotgun might accidently go off during holdup"

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Armed robbery is basically a ransom of the clerk’s life for money in his drawer.

Most BG’s who are not hyped up on drugs; really have no intention of hurting the clerk. While there are some truly sick BG’s out there, for the most part, most do not want to go to jail for life or the electric chair for $200 bucks?

To get the clerk attention this BG is raking the slide of his shotgun. The problem is by racking the slide with his finger inside the trigger guard, he is taking a chance of killing a clerk, he did not want to.

By announcing this, Police are hoping to draw this to the BG’s attention, so the BG stops doing it, and possibly saves some poor clerks life.

I agree with others, I hope the BG gets put down soon before he kills someone
    If he had no intent on hurting someone he wouldn't load it with live and lethal rounds!
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member
    Perhaps the shotgun isn't loaded. I wouldn't want to bet on it, but maybe he's betting on the "intimidation factor".

If I were a shotgun wielding BG, I'd load it all the way up. If he's racking it, and not ejecting a shell, perhaps it's unloaded.

I'm just sayin'
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

“They may not mean for the gun to go off, it may be an accidental firing of the gun but it's still going to be a murder / homicide type conviction for these people. That's what concerns us the most,” Lt. McGovern said,

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that they are more concerned that the BG will be convicted of murder than the fact that some innocent person loses their life?

Quote Originally Posted by ak56 View Post
    “They may not mean for the gun to go off, it may be an accidental firing of the gun but it's still going to be a murder / homicide type conviction for these people. That's what concerns us the most,” Lt. McGovern said,

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that they are more concerned that the BG will be convicted of murder than the fact that some innocent person loses their life?
    Perhaps they are actually hoping to alter the behavior of the perpetrator. It's not unheard of for the Police to talk to perps through the media.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    All of this seems kind of irreverent to me. If you are going to point any kind of gun at another be ready to shoot. This guy is obviously a BG and he committed a crime. What the Cops told the press or how the press interpret it might be another story.

The fact is, If the shogun had a trigger safety on it, the assailant would have had to have pumped the gun at some point if were or unexpectedly go off.

This would be an unlikely event.

I would hardly consider this an accident if that were to happen.

The only other way the gun can go off is if the BG has his finger on the trigger.

Not impossible for somethig else, just not likely.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Hopefully, this BG will be taken out sooner than later. It's clear that he has developed confidence with his mode of attack. Perhaps his luck will run out, and we’ll all be hearing about his childhood, and that he was always a nice boy. 'Those that live by the sword shall die by the sword'.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    aparently, this old story about some teenagers is fresh in their mind:

SR.com: Family is also victim in teen's killing

Walter took the shotgun that Hanowell had gotten from his brother. The plan called for Walter to work the gun's pump action to scare Migaki into giving up the marijuana, according to court records. However, when Walter pumped the weapon, it fired and hit Migaki in the neck, police said.
    Bottom line is that discharging a firearm requires pulling the trigger. Killing someone further requires it be loaded, safety off, and pointing at someone.

Maybe the LEO's are using the media to text message the BG. Do BG's really take a hint?
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Murder: First Degree.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In most states, first-degree murder is defined as an unlawful killing that is both willful and premeditated, meaning that it was committed after planning or "lying in wait" for the victim.

For example, Dan comes home to find his wife in bed with Victor. Three days later, Dan waits behind a tree near Victor's front door. When Victor comes out of the house, Dan shoots and kills him.

Most states also adhere to a legal concept known as the "felony murder rule," under which a person commits first-degree murder if any death (even an accidental one) results from the commission of certain violent felonies -- usually arson, burglary, kidnapping, rape, and robbery.
    Either way pointing a gun at someone is perceived that you have intent to kill them.

He intended to aquire the gun
    He intended to load the gun
    He intended to rob a store
    He intended to point the gun at someone

It would be awfully hard to prove he didn't intend to pull the trigger.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    aparently, this old story about some teenagers is fresh in their mind:

SR.com: Family is also victim in teen's killing

Bottom line is that discharging a firearm requires pulling the trigger. Killing someone further requires it be loaded, safety off, and pointing at someone.

Maybe the LEO's are using the media to text message the BG. Do BG's really take a hint?
    The quote regarding ‘Walter’ reminds me of the first homicide I assisted/responded to. It was a typical Saturday wedding. Then, two brothers crashed the reception and assaulted the groom. One brother used the ole’ hit the guy with the butt of the shotgun routine, when his thumb slid down accidentally pulling the trigger. The other brother was positioned right behind him (yeah, let's get em'), and was struck in the neck – game over.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    The quote regarding ‘Walter’ reminds me of the first homicide I responded to. It was a good old fashion Mexican wedding. Two brothers crashed the reception and assaulted the groom. He used the ole’ hit the guy with the butt of the shotgun when his thumb slid down accidentally pulling the trigger. The other brother was right behind him, and was struck in the neck – game over.
    That would be second degree murder... no?

note to self... turn to safe when clocking someone with the butt of my shotgun.

Makes me wonder if someone ever shot himself pistol whipping someone...

Well there's a simple fix really - we need to pass a law requiring BG's to take a firearm training class.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    That would be second degree murder... no?...
    The detectives wrote it up, but I do recall it was argued between 1st and 2nd. The guys went to the party with intent, and someone died during that intent.
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    Oops! posted in wrong thread - disregard...
    ~ Stephen King

They can all go off at any moment - when you train wrong and handle them ignorantly.

A gun wont' go off "accidentally" or "by itself"; but on the other hand a gun is extremely unforgiving of stupidity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links