Shopko Pharmacist Who Tackled Armed Robber Fired

This is a discussion on Shopko Pharmacist Who Tackled Armed Robber Fired within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; "A northern Idaho pharmacist who tackled a gun-toting robber and received a special award from the city of Coeur d'Alene has been fired for violating ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopko Pharmacist Who Tackled Armed Robber Fired

Thumbs down Shopko Pharmacist Who Tackled Armed Robber Fired

"A northern Idaho pharmacist who tackled a gun-toting robber and received a special award from the city of Coeur d'Alene has been fired for violating company policy."

Idaho pharmacist who tackled armed robber fired -- chicagotribune.com

If this story upsets you and you have a Shopko in your state and you'd like your voice to be heard in the unfair firing of this pharmacist, here is Shopko's contact information:

Shopko Customer Service Phone: 1-800-791-7333
    Shopko email: OnlineCustomerService@shopko.com
    Shopko Customer Service
    P.O. Box 19060
    Green Bay, WI 54307-9060

Rant off!

2. Remove Ads

Kudos to Jerry Gunderson. Guy deserved a raise if you ask me.
    Proud NRA & MCRGO Member

"The handgun would not be my choice of weapon if I knew I was going to a fight....I'd choose a rifle, a shotgun, an RPG or an atomic bomb instead."

Typical of corporate America, acting on the fear of being sued by criminals...

Maybe he should open his own drugstore, I'll give him my business.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I sent them an e-mail letting them know what I thought about it. I understand, in theory, not resisting a robbery all the man was attempting to do was get some useful information for the LEO's when the guy turned on him and went for his gun. Where is the ACLU (ROTFLMAO) when we need them.
    "The theory that the children of the Commonwealth are the charge of the Commonwealth is a pagan one, derived from heathen Sparta and Platoís heathen republic, and connected by regular, logical sequence with legalized prostitution and the dissolution of the conjugal tie." R.L. Dabney

NRA Member

Shows how different people think between Idaho and Wisconsin. One awards him the other fires him.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    That's low.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Maybe someone in the city of Coeur d'Alene can help him find a new job? At least they appreciate a motivated individual.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    Shows how different people think between Idaho and Wisconsin. One awards him the other fires him.
    Its Wisconsin, what else would you think.
    Dave
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

A colleague was fired for protecting people, for doing something no ShopKo manager would have the initiative or honor to attempt?

ShopKo, eh? Sort of like Widgets-R-Us, or Stuff.Inc, or JunkMart. Apparently, the management have all bought the automated ThinkMaster-6 from aisle 3B, in the hopes they'd get a clue. Too late.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    There is something in the ShopKo company policy against tackling armed criminals? WOW they thought of everything huh?

seriously though why punish the hero?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I think their policy is designed same as banks with bank robbers. Give them what they want, hope they leave and let the insurance pay for it. This gives less liability than if your policy instructed them to resist, they do, get killed, and then the family sues the company for liability since the company wanted them to do it.

I realize it is lame, but with our sue-happy society, as a business it makes sense. I don't see why firing someone who helps is necessary. They should just have the policy that says you are not required to resist, but will not be penalized if you do.

But I guess that would be a rational and reasonable thing to do. Who wants to do that.
    Walk softly ...

This is just another zero tolerance policy that can't allow discretion. The corporate loss prevention department of a company has the company buy insurance and the company must conform to the policies spelled out in that insurance for the insurance to be valid. If they make exceptions for any reason they won't be able to argue in a court of law for some future event that they are serious about company policy.

This is just another stupid thing our legal system forces on all of us. Too bad for the fired hero but it has to be this way. Complain all you want to the company for being unreasonable - nothing will change - they MUST act that way - they are actually being quite reasonable given their constraints.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    seriously though why punish the hero?
    IMO, the only rational reason is the the belief that doing so puts people at risk, by escalating the situation and causing the robber to deal with an attack against him. Disincentive reduces this risk. Of course, it turns all employees into bleating sheep that are of zero use to any citizens who happen to have the misfortune of being in the store at that moment. And it completely ignores the probability that the criminal(s) will simply turn on the survivors and take them out.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    A colleague was fired for protecting people, for doing something no ShopKo manager would have the initiative or honor to attempt?

ShopKo, eh? Sort of like Widgets-R-Us, or Stuff.Inc, or JunkMart. Apparently, the management have all bought the automated ThinkMaster-6 from aisle 3B, in the hopes they'd get a clue. Too late.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    IMO, the only rational reason is the the belief that doing so puts people at risk, by escalating the situation and causing the robber to deal with an attack against him. Disincentive reduces this risk. Of course, it turns all employees into bleating sheep that are of zero use to any citizens who happen to have the misfortune of being in the store at that moment. And it completely ignores the probability that the criminal(s) will simply turn on the survivors and take them out.

^^^^^^Dont'ca just love ccw9mm???^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I think their policy is designed same as banks with bank robbers. Give them what they want, hope they leave and let the insurance pay for it. This gives less liability than if your policy instructed them to resist, they do, get killed, and then the family sues the company for liability since the company wanted them to do it.

I realize it is lame, but with our sue-happy society, as a business it makes sense. I don't see why firing someone who helps is necessary. They should just have the policy that says you are not required to resist, but will not be penalized if you do.

But I guess that would be a rational and reasonable thing to do. Who wants to do that.
    You would think theres some middle of the road , oh well

Quote Originally Posted by BurgDog View Post
    This is just another zero tolerance policy that can't allow discretion. The corporate loss prevention department of a company has the company buy insurance and the company must conform to the policies spelled out in that insurance for the insurance to be valid. If they make exceptions for any reason they won't be able to argue in a court of law for some future event that they are serious about company policy.

This is just another stupid thing our legal system forces on all of us. Too bad for the fired hero but it has to be this way. Complain all you want to the company for being unreasonable - nothing will change - they MUST act that way - they are actually being quite reasonable given their constraints.
    Sounds Plausible, Never thought of it that way^^^^^^^^^^

"If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started."
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links