Man Beaten with Club

This is a discussion on Man Beaten with Club within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Happened less than a mile from my house. UPDATE: Charges authorized against 4 men in South Haven beating | Kalamazoo News - - MLive.com SOUTH ...

Thread: Man Beaten with Club

Man Beaten with Club

Happened less than a mile from my house.

UPDATE: Charges authorized against 4 men in South Haven beating | Kalamazoo News - - MLive.com

SOUTH HAVEN — A Fennville man who was struck in the head with a club multiple times Monday night in South Haven had been involved in an ongoing dispute with the four men arrested in connection with his beating, police said.

Charles Flanner, 38, was listed in critical condition Tuesday at Bronson Methodist Hospital in Kalamazoo, said Tom Martin, acting chief of the South Haven Police Department.

Flanner was found lying unconscious in the parking lot of the Phoenix Square shopping plaza, in the 1200 block of Phoenix Street, by South Haven police officers who responded at 8:30 p.m. to a report of an assault. He was taken to South Haven Community Hospital and then flown to Kalamazoo.

Witnesses told police Flanner was beaten by four men and that during the assault one of the suspects struck Flanner in the head with a club. The witnesses were able to give police descriptions of the suspects and a license plate number that officers used to track down the vehicle’s owner, who was arrested in connection with the assault.

The other three suspects ran from police after they were tracked down, police said. Two of the men were later found by officers and the third eventually turned himself in.

Martin said Flanner and the four men were acquaintances and had been involved in a dispute “over the last several days.”

The suspects, ages 18, 21, 22 and 24, were each being held Tuesday in the Van Buren County Jail on a charge of assault with intent to commit murder, pending their court arraignments.

Martin declined to say what the root of the dispute was. He said three of suspects men are from the South Haven area and another is from the Grand Junction area.

Martin said police believe that Flanner was struck in the head with the club multiple times and that at least two of the men used the club to assault Flanner.

“I think it started out as a fist fight and then the weapon was used,” the acting chief said.
    Proud NRA & MCRGO Member

"The handgun would not be my choice of weapon if I knew I was going to a fight....I'd choose a rifle, a shotgun, an RPG or an atomic bomb instead."

2. Remove Ads

A properly used firearm could have easily even the odds...

Now these 4 dirtbags are in for a loooooong ride...or maybe they will each BE a 'ride'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This is yet another example of why I laugh at people, IRL, who state that a 'real man' doesn't need a gun or knife or OC/CS and that all one needs is 'old school' skill with their hands so as to fight mano y mano.
    Same for those who online comment they are <fill in the blank height> and weigh <Typically some overweight to obese figure> and don't have concern because they can just push people around/down.

Uh huh. Yeah right, Juggernaut.

All it takes to neutralize your hands, height and weight is a cut (not even a body piercing stab) with a knife or broken beer bottle.
    Or a blow to the head with a fist or object such as what can be easily found anywhere (rock, brick, scrap wood) or even carried and concealed on your enemy combatants body.

All it takes is one strike to the head and you are out of the fight, and at the mercy of those standing around beating on you.

Official: Suspect admits role in beating death of Chicago teen - CNN.com
    LiveLeak.com - Street robbers violently attack couple outside their motel room

Fist fighting with folks in the streets is a losing proposition, no matter how much you weigh/are overweight.
    Never mind fighting one vs. four. :|

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    A properly used firearm could have easily even the odds...

Now these 4 dirtbags are in for a loooooong ride...or maybe they will each BE a 'ride'.
    To funny!

Now all I gotta do is delete that visual from my minds eye.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

4 to 1 is a hard win if you can win with out being in hospital for some time.

Even with a firearm 4 to 1 is still a hard win because in many states using the firearm will likely put you behind bars.

Best way if possible to win is not be in the fight in the first place.

All that said, A good fast draw and willingness to shoot may have turned the tide without ever firing a shoot.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    Fist fighting with folks in the streets is a losing proposition, no matter how much you weigh/are overweight.
    Never mind fighting one vs. four. :|

- Janq

^^^^^YEP^^^^^^

Odds are bad agin' ya' at two to one

"The right of self-defense is the first law of nature. When the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any color or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction."
    St. George Tucker, in his edition of Blackstone's "Commentaries"
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Yup, ugly all around!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Links