Why Does Interpol Need Immunity from American Law?

This is a discussion on Why Does Interpol Need Immunity from American Law? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; These people really do not see this as giving up our sovereignty; they really see this as joining the world community. Meanwhile if Holder Is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Does Interpol Need Immunity from American Law?

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar

Why Does Interpol Need Immunity from American Law?

These people really do not see this as giving up our sovereignty; they really see this as joining the world community. Meanwhile if Holder Is restrained from investigating someone or some organization by that little Constitution Thingy then he just hands it off to INTERPOL.

Why Does Interpol Need Immunity from American Law? - Andy McCarthy - The Corner on National Review Online

You just can't make up how brazen this crowd is. One week ago, President Obama quietly signed an executive order that makes an international police force immune from the restraints of American law.

Interpol is the shorthand for the International Criminal Police Organization. It was established in 1923 and operates in about 188 countries. By executive order 12425, issued in 1983, President Reagan recognized Interpol as an international organization and gave it some of the privileges and immunities customarily extended to foreign diplomats. Interpol, however, is also an active law-enforcement agency, so critical privileges and immunities (set forth in Section 2(c) of the International Organizations Immunities Act) were withheld. Specifically, Interpol's property and assets remained subject to search and seizure, and its archived records remained subject to public scrutiny under provisions like the Freedom of Information Act. Being constrained by the Fourth Amendment, FOIA, and other limitations of the Constitution and federal law that protect the liberty and privacy of Americans is what prevents law-enforcement and its controlling government authority from becoming tyrannical.

On Wednesday, however, for no apparent reason, President Obama issued an executive order removing the Reagan limitations. That is, Interpol's property and assets are no longer subject to search and confiscation, and its archives are now considered inviolable. This international police force (whose U.S. headquarters is in the Justice Department in Washington) will be unrestrained by the U.S. Constitution and American law while it operates in the United States and affects both Americans and American interests outside the United States.

Interpol works closely with international tribunals (such as the International Criminal Court which the United States has refused to join because of its sovereignty surrendering provisions, though top Obama officials want us in it). It also works closely with foreign courts and law-enforcement authorities (such as those in Europe that are investigating former Bush administration officials for purported war crimes i.e., for actions taken in America's defense).

Why would we elevate an international police force above American law? Why would we immunize an international police force from the limitations that constrain the FBI and other American law-enforcement agencies? Why is it suddenly necessary to have, within the Justice Department, a repository for stashing government files which, therefore, will be beyond the ability of Congress, American law-enforcement, the media, and the American people to scrutinize?
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

2. Remove Ads

We have elected those who will sell us out to the International community. The Constitution means nothing to these people.

Baby steps...piece by little piece..."Your papers, please?"
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Baby steps...piece by little piece..."Your papers, please?"
    It's much closer than we will let ourselves believe....
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Elections have consequences and it's obvious too many people just don't care any more.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I just heard today that SecState H. R. Clinton has committed the U.S.A. to the UN "small arms" ban. Just what that means, and how it is going to play out, I don't know, but it doesn't sound good. Coupled with this little Interpol zinger, I foresee dark days ahead.

November 2010 can not come fast enough! And 2012 seems like a life time away!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I just heard today that SecState H. R. Clinton has committed the U.S.A. to the UN "small arms" ban. Just what that means, and how it is going to play out, I don't know, but it doesn't sound good. Coupled with this little Interpol zinger, I foresee dark days ahead.

November 2010 can not come fast enough! And 2012 seems like a life time away!
    I don't really know what the significance of the ammedment to E.O. 12425 really is, but in general I don't believe what I hear on right-wing sites. Nor do I know what SecState Clinton supposedly committed us to. But the article here provides the most balanced, non-partisan analysis that I've seen: International Gun Ban Treaty? | FactCheck.org
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
    I don't really know what the significance of the ammedment to E.O. 12425 really is, but in general I don't believe what I hear on right-wing sites. Nor do I know what SecState Clinton supposedly committed us to. But the article here provides the most balanced, non-partisan analysis that I've seen: International Gun Ban Treaty? | FactCheck.org
    Hey man, thanks for the link. Very interesting read. I appreciate it!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Here's the actual announcement.

The White House

Office of the Press Secretary
    For Immediate Release
    December 17, 2009
    Executive Order -- Amending Executive Order 12425

EXECUTIVE ORDER
    - - - - - - -
    AMENDING EXECUTIVE ORDER 12425 DESIGNATING INTERPOL
    AS A PUBLIC INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION ENTITLED TO
    ENJOY CERTAIN PRIVILEGES, EXEMPTIONS, AND IMMUNITIES

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including section 1 of the International Organizations Immunities Act (22 U.S.C. 288), and in order to extend the appropriate privileges, exemptions, and immunities to the International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL), it is hereby ordered that Executive Order 12425 of June 16, 1983, as amended, is further amended by deleting from the first sentence the words "except those provided by Section 2(c), Section 3, Section 4, Section 5, and Section 6 of that Act" and the semicolon that immediately precedes them.

BARACK OBAMA

THE WHITE HOUSE,
    December 16, 2009.

They have no shame!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

First step in knocking down the barriers that prevent a "one world government and police force".

Looks like it's only a matter of time.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Hey man, thanks for the link. Very interesting read. I appreciate it!
    Factcheck.org is a great place to start, however, I have caught them with erroneous information in the past.

VIP Member
    Sadly, I can't say I am surprised by anything the current administration does. I sure do hope that the majority of America wakes up and starts being offended by something that this administration does and starts voting them out. The sooner the better...

Administrator
    Voting!? I'm all for storming DC and building gallows.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I think this is yet another political thread disguised as gun related talk.

When my son graduated from law school, the speaker was the then head of Interpol (an American btw). Very impressive speaker, and if there is a problem with Interpol it is that its activities are limited by the sovereign nature of the many countries it operates in. Hence, there are too many countries which either don't adequately cooperate with its activities or actively thwart them to protect particular individuals.

The bottom line, if you aren't a BG fleeing the US (or another country) to avoid prosecution or jail, you have nothing to be concerned about with this organization. Its powers and reach are rather severely limited by each country it operates in.

I get sick of the paranoid and ignorant talk that emanates from the political propagandists who seem to always need a straw enemy, and are always seeking to foment fear and hatred of our own government. Faux patriots, the lot.

VIP Member

We can't ask other to do what we won't do

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Here's the actual announcement.

They have no shame!
    It has nothing to do with shame. IT is a matter of ordinary practical need.

We can't ask other countries to give Interpol the freedom it needs to be effective at catching international fugitives if we won't give Interpol the same immunities we demand other countries give them.

If you are for law and order and catching bad guys, you should be a big fan of Interpol. If you are for letting minor dictators harbor international fugitives, then use stuff like this for political noise.

We have to do the same as what we ask others to do, else they will and do thumb their noses at us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links