True SHTF Story

True SHTF Story

This is a discussion on True SHTF Story within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; HURRICANE KATRINA...

Thread: True SHTF Story

True SHTF Story

NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

JD
    Administrator
    Looks like an interesting read, definitely one to print off and take home.

FYI:

Like JD I too thought it would be an interesting read and it may be.

But upon looking through the table of contents and selecting at random a single page to review with intent to read I found images prominently displayed that are misleading and even out right known to be false:

Note that both Bush's are wearing winter jackets in a an area and seasonal time frame that was infamous during the event for being hot and muggy!
    That alone makes no sense at all and should jump out as being an item of 'huh' to anyone, even for those who may have never been to New Orleans or even to a southern state.
    snopes.com: Fishing Trip

This image is also featured prominently at the page. Problem is this occurred in _China_ at the city of Xiamen, and is not relevant at all to that of NoLA nor Katrina.
    The pic went it came out made international news not for the result but how it came to be. The photographer had staked out a known hole in the road and waited for a cyclist to hit the hole, without warning.
    In China the majority conveyance method is bicycle, unlike here in the US or specifically NoLA.
    I'd seen this frame among what was then published as a series of stop action frames years ago. To see it featured at this site as related to Katrina makes no sense, to me. Especially when Katrina was _very well_ documented and there are more than enough images of that event to fill any website.
    The complete series of pics and background story from 2005 can be found as archived at; Ananova - Photographer criticised

Frankly my interest in reading waned upon noting these two items.
    In general if you are going to develop a document be it print or electronic it is important and in some professions even required to maintain relevance and historical context to a given subject matter. In this case an event. You would use not only quotes and anecdotes but images too, which are taken same as quotes and anecdotes, that are _directly_ related to the subject matter and time frame.
    To not do so waters down and reduces the validity and value of your project and/or intended statement.

I stopped reading as result of a loss of interest and value upon noting these images.
    Now I can't be sure if the text as displayed is the authors own and is relevant to the event either as he's made active choice to use misleading and out right false imagery for same.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    FYI:

Like JD I too thought it would be an interesting read and it may be.

But upon looking through the table of contents and selecting at random a single page to review with intent to read I found images prominently displayed that are misleading and even out right known to be false:

Note that both Bush's are wearing winter jackets in a an area and seasonal time frame that was infamous during the event for being hot and muggy!
    That alone makes no sense at all and should jump out as being an item of 'huh' to anyone, even for those who may have never been to New Orleans or even to a southern state.
    snopes.com: Fishing Trip

This image is also featured prominently at the page. Problem is this occurred in _China_ at the city of Xiamen, and is not relevant at all to that of NoLA nor Katrina.
    The pic went it came out made international news not for the result but how it came to be. The photographer had staked out a known hole in the road and waited for a cyclist to hit the hole, without warning.
    In China the majority conveyance method is bicycle, unlike here in the US or specifically NoLA.
    I'd seen this frame among what was then published as a series of stop action frames years ago. To see it featured at this site as related to Katrina makes no sense, to me. Especially when Katrina was _very well_ documented and there are more than enough images of that event to fill any website.
    The complete series of pics and background story from 2005 can be found as archived at; Ananova - Photographer criticised

Frankly my interest in reading waned upon noting these two items.
    In general if you are going to develop a document be it print or electronic it is important and in some professions even required to maintain relevance and historical context to a given subject matter. In this case an event. You would use not only quotes and anecdotes but images too, which are taken same as quotes and anecdotes, that are _directly_ related to the subject matter and time frame.
    To not do so waters down and reduces the validity and value of your project and/or intended statement.

I stopped reading as result of a loss of interest and value upon noting these images.
    Now I can't be sure if the text as displayed is the authors own and is relevant to the event either as he's made active choice to use misleading and out right false imagery for same.

- Janq
    I have no way of knowing if those pics are false or not but I don't really care about those pics.

What was interesting was the lessons learned in a True situation like Katrina and learning from it so I don't have to make some of the mistakes the guy in the blog made.

I have learned from his blog and I hope others do as well. If this isn't for you then you don't have to read any of the content. I just wanted to post this blog because it did make me think about things I didn't before.
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

Diesel,

The first pic is patently false.
    Photoshop.
    I'd even provided a link proving as much...Click it and see for yourself.

The second image as I noted is a misrepresentation of what was a real image as depicted.

Again I did not peruse the rest of site.
    I'd selected that single page at random and discovered exactly what I stated.

I can't say the whole isn't for me as I didn't read further.
    But as I did state at first blush the authors application of false and misleading imagery as part and parcel to the telling of tales and support of view does call into question manner and procedure.

This is not a knock against you nor should be taken that way, unless it is you who is the producer/author of the site.

I noted here in this thread what I'd found simply because the China pic image is relatively obscure and that people who see the Bush image might not think to question it. Even as it clearly makes no sense as I'd noted by their apparel choice...as those persons in the background are wearing t-shirts and waist deep in water.

Anything and everything is on the internet as even by major news organizations. One has to apply some critical thinking and as in this case review to anything and all that is purported to be 'fact'.
    Not to do so can result in embarrassment or even catastrophic action.

Well known recent cases in point:
    In an Iranian Image, a Missile Too Many - The Lede Blog - NYTimes.com

Colin Powell: The Speech that led to WAR
    Dead Wrong: Colin Powell's UN Speech - CNN
    CNN.com - Former aide:*Powell*WMD speech*'lowest point in my life' - Aug 19, 2005

Be careful what you read or hear of, and take to be a matter of fact and factual advisory or reporting.

I will though likely go back and read more taking away what I will as confirmed from what I already know to be fact, and as against what to myself seems to simply make sense and/or be useful. As anyone else would do same.
    Sadly times have come to be that it's difficult to take any singular view as a whole to be gospel. For same reasons as I had detailed above regarding accuracy in reporting and professionalism in manner.

- Janq

"Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see." - Benjamin Franklin, Founding father and a very wise guy
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Diesel,

This is not a knock against you nor should be taken that way, unless it is you who is the producer/author of the site.

Sadly times have come to be that it's difficult to take any singular view as a whole to be gospel. For same reasons as I had detailed above regarding accuracy in reporting and professionalism in manner.

I didn't take it as a knock against me. I'm not the author of the site. I had a friend email me the link a few weeks back and when I got done reading the blog I did learn some things that I think we can all do when prepping.

If others feel the same great, if not then no biggie.
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

I am in southern Mississippi. I was here for Katrina. I will assure that no one was wearing a coat in August that year.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I skimmed through all of it quickly. Eh, not impressed.

Yes, Janq, every photo is stolen from elsewhere. I don't see a single one that I would attribute to the author. It seems he has little respect for intellectual property and few photos of his own. This is ironic as he has a section dedicated to having a camera with you.

The info is not bad, but it is basic at best. The occasional vulgarity is enough to turn off most of the everyday people it would help.

He misses what I consider important points. For example: It is wise to keep copies of important documents and dvd's of photos/computer data with a trusted out of state relative. There is no substitute for having important items pre-cached in multiple redundant locations.

-just my .02 cents from a quick skim
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Links