Walmart Shopper Attacked in Utah

This is a discussion on Walmart Shopper Attacked in Utah within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ksl.com - Shopper attacked in parking lot; witness intervenes Shopper attacked in parking lot; witness intervenes December 31st, 2009 @ 11:00am MIDVALE -- A Midvale ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walmart Shopper Attacked in Utah

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar

Walmart Shopper Attacked in Utah

ksl.com - Shopper attacked in parking lot; witness intervenes

Shopper attacked in parking lot; witness intervenes
    December 31st, 2009 @ 11:00am
    MIDVALE -- A Midvale shopper was attacked while loading bags into her car Wednesday night. Police said the suspect was after the woman's purse, but another shopper came to her rescue before she was seriously injured.

"The victim was actually struck one time by the suspect with an elbow to the face," said Sgt. Marcelo Rapela with the Midvale Police Department.

Rapela said had it not been for another shopper coming to the victim's aide at the Walmart parking lot at 7250 S. Union Park Ave., the outcome may have been a lot different.

"We certainly believe that person that intervened was a key element in stopping this crime from continuing," he said.

Police said just before 8 p.m. a woman in her 40s was in the parking lot loading up bags from her shopping trip when another woman in her 20s walked up behind her and threatened her with a gun she claimed she had in her pocket.

The attacker said she wanted woman's purse, but when the victim refused to give it to her, the attacker struck her in the face.

"There was a struggle," said Rapela. "The victim and the suspect went to the ground."

Just as the scuffle began, another shopper saw the commotion and realized the woman was being attacked. That shopper ran towards the woman to help her, and in the process scared the attacker away.

"Officers immediately came to the area. We set up a containment and deployed our K-9, but we were unable to locate a suspect at this time," Rapela said.

Police said Walmart's surveillance cameras did catch video of the attack. They're now in the process of reviewing it to see if it's clear enough to identify the person responsible.

Rapela said, "Hopefully we can view that video, enhance the image and get that person's picture out."

Police released a description of the attacker. She is described as 5 feet 7 inches tall with a thin build and long brown hair. Police said she wearing a green and turquoise parka with a fur lined hood at the time of the attack.

Police said if caught, the suspect will be charged with attempted robbery and possibly assault.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

2. Remove Ads

Possibly assault?
    Too bad a nearby citizen couldn't have stomped the attacker's head to the pavement...that could have ended the threat.
    Sounds like it will only be a short time until police find out who she is.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    If someone says they have a gun in there pocket and it looks like there could be do you shoot? Can you legally?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    If someone says they have a gun in there pocket and it looks like there could be do you shoot? Can you legally?
    Sounds like it would satisfy AOJ
    Ability - You have reason to believe so, and little reason not to.
    Opportunity - Yep
    Jeopardy - She says she has a gun, it looks like she has a gun, and she's threatening use of said gun. So yep.

Looks like it would be a clean shoot depending on the state it occurred in...

If you are attempting to rob me, and you tell me that you have a gun (that I cannot see)...I will 'legally' believe you and react accordingly.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you are attempting to rob me, and you tell me that you have a gun (that I cannot see)...I will 'legally' believe you and react accordingly.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

hmmmmmm.
    sorry but i probablly will not think about hmmm are you bluffing or is it real........
    it will be BANG......... I DO
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Same here!
    If you tell me you have a gun and are threating to use it on me in the commision of a crime, I will not wait and find out IF you are telling the truth.
    I will, as was said, React Accordingly. Because I KNOW I have a gun, and I know how to use it. You may kill me, but I'll be found dead in a pile of brass. And you, the BG, will be full of as many holes as I can put in you.

VIP Member
    I'll bet Wal-Mart parking lots have more crime than any major city!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

+1

Huh & iam planning on going to Wal-Mart tomorrow too
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    Sounds like it would satisfy AOJ
    Ability - You have reason to believe so, and little reason not to.
    Opportunity - Yep
    Jeopardy - She says she has a gun, it looks like she has a gun, and she's threatening use of said gun. So yep.

Looks like it would be a clean shoot depending on the state it occurred in...

What xader said,

Especially in Michigan, all the knuckledraggers tell the truth, so who am I to not believe them when they tell me so???

You couldn't fool your mother on the foolingest day of your life if you had an electrified fooling machine. -Homer Simpson
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Most laws say "the belief" ..... so if you believe she really has a gun and your life is being immediately threatened. .... and it's all up to the jury to decide if they would have "believed" the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I'll bet Wal-Mart parking lots have more crime than any major city!
    One of ours is the busiest place in town for the cops. Last year a shooting, stabbing, several robberies, kidnapping, and lots of theft. They have to shut down at midnight because of all the trouble. I mentioned how bad it was to a manager of another store and she said, "yeah, I know." I don't go much, but I'm armed when I do.

Working 3rd shift and getting off @ 3-6am leaves me with only wally world as a "convenience" that is open when i get off work. i still wonder when/if i'll end up as a story here on this forum. thankfully i have yet to encounter any problems and hopefully the new year brings me as much again this year

Thankfully, NEITHER of the WM's in my area are "posted".
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links