LEO shoots and kills BG at ATM

This is a discussion on LEO shoots and kills BG at ATM within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; FIRST ON WITN: Would-Be Robber Identified In Deputy ATM Shooting [QUOTE]Authorities say an off-duty deputy sheriff, with less than four months on the job, shot ...

FIRST ON WITN: Would-Be Robber Identified In Deputy ATM Shooting

[QUOTE]Authorities say an off-duty deputy sheriff, with less than four months on the job, shot and killed a would-be robber.

The State Bureau of Investigation tells WITN News that the dead man has been identified as Antonio Lacy of Greenville. The Medical Examiner's Office in Greenville wouldn't say how many times Lacy was shot, but did say the 19-year-old was shot in the chest.

Greenville police say Lacy approached the off-duty Pitt County deputy at an automated teller machine at the State Employees Credit Union at 2296 Charles Blvd. around 10:30 p.m. Wednesday. A press release says when the suspect tried to rob the deputy at gunpoint, the deputy fired his gun at the suspect.

Sheriff Mac Manning identified the deputy as Zackary Odom. Manning said Odom is fresh out of the academy, and has been with his department since August.

Lacy was transported to Pitt County Memorial Hospital, but police say he died there. The deputy was not injured.

The sheriff says the deputy was in his vehicle at the ATM and noticed someone coming up from behind him. Manning says he used the same ATM the night before.

As is standard procedure when a law enforcement officer is involved, the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigations is handling the investigation.

Court records show Lacy had a January 15th court date for traffic charges in Pitt County. He was charged with having no operators license and driving by person less than 21 years old after consuming alcohol or drugs.

/QUOTE]

Another BG dead, more food and fresh air for the rest of us...

Center of mass, baby!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like good situational awareness kept the Deputy alive.

Good job.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

This life of crime just does not pay.

You never know who is packing a firearm, thank goodness the off duty policeman did not leave his firearm at home.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Job well done, Officer Odom
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

You know I have to think that BG's are seeing how many of them are getting shot and realizing lead poisioning is a real occupational hazard for them.

Not reported on this is that the BG had a bb gun not a real one however, as we all know, in the dark, coming up behind you with a gun makes no difference what kind of gun it is. The element of fearing for your life is just as real. This guy is a good guy. My preachers cousin. Pray for him as he goes through the trauma of shooting this young man.

It looks as if it will be determined that it is a good shooting and no charges will be preferred however, the investigation is still continuing.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticman View Post
    You know I have to think that BG's are seeing how many of them are getting shot and realizing lead poisoning is a real occupational hazard for them.
    Don't let that info get out, next thing you know the OSHA folks will require "lead free" bullets to be used so that the BG's don't suffer from lead poisoning.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Hope it all turns out OK for him.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

The right guy (the officer) won the gunfight !!

Funny and ironic...this dirtbag came to the ATM for a withdrawal, and got a 'deposit' (of course it was a lead deposit).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by grandma4 View Post
    Not reported on this is that the BG had a bb gun not a real one however, as we all know, in the dark, coming up behind you with a gun makes no difference what kind of gun it is. The element of fearing for your life is just as real. This guy is a good guy. My preachers cousin. Pray for him as he goes through the trauma of shooting this young man.

It looks as if it will be determined that it is a good shooting and no charges will be preferred however, the investigation is still continuing.
    IIRC, that's still armed robbery in NC. Deadly force would be justified. You don't get to play dumb because it's not a real gun. Hope everything works out in his favor.

My wife has asked me several times why I unholster my handgun and lay it uner my leg every time I pull up to an outdoor ATM.
    No matter how many times I tell her is for JIC, she still thinks I'm being paraniod.

I'm going to send her this so she can read for her self.
    You'd better believe I'm being paranoid.
    I've often played this very scenario though my head for a plan of action. Paranoid or prepared? Good Shoot Rookie!

BB Gun or not, this punk was planning on taking something, that did not belong to him and he did not work for, from someone by force and intimidation.

He deserves a dirt nap.

This fron a rookie probley still patroling with an FTO. I hope the deputy recovers from this experience and continues on in his new career.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Links