Police: Man takes off with groceries after brandishing knife in Hadley

This is a discussion on Police: Man takes off with groceries after brandishing knife in Hadley within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported in my local paper: Police: Man takes off with groceries after brandishing knife in Hadley Wednesday, December 30, 2009 HADLEY - Hadley police ...

Thread: Police: Man takes off with groceries after brandishing knife in Hadley

As reported in my local paper:

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

HADLEY - Hadley police are searching for an unidentified man Tuesday who threatened Stop & Shop security guards with a knife after exiting the store with a shopping cart full of unpaid for items.

Police said a Hispanic or light-skinned black male in his 20s filled his shopping cart with various items, exited the Stop & Shop without paying and attempted to stab one of the store's loss prevention officers when confronted at 12:21 p.m. Tuesday, according to a press release from the Hadley police. Officers from Amherst, the University of Massachusetts and state police performed a search around the supermarket at 456 Russell St. but could not locate the subject.

Anyone with information regarding this case is encouraged to contact the Hadley Police Department at 584-0883.

Source with a shady looking pic - http://www.gazettenet.com/2009/12/30...g-knife-hadley

- Janq

Note:
    Mrs. Janq and I both shop at this grocery store regularly as it's just down the road from Whole Foods and Trader Joes.
    She was at this store yesterday morning on a grocery run.
    99% of the people who shop here are college students and academics.
    When I moved to this region people told me nothing ever happens in western MA. Monthly they are proven to be wrong.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Had this happen when I worked at a grocery store in a bad area while in college. 2 guys took a couple of bags full and walked out without paying for them, so the Asst Mgr and I went out the door after them to stop them. One pulled a knife.

Ironically, we were on a busy street and I saw a police car coming from behind them and was waving him over without them realizing it. So, they are standing there threatening us as the officer pulls up, gets out, and comes up behind the guy with the knife........

and, as the LEO put a gun to his head and said "don't move".... the look on the guy's face was "PRICELESS". Both went to jail .... on armed robbery and assault with a deadly weapon charges.

I seems like the number of people who have no regard for the law is on an increase.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I seems like the number of people who have no regard for the law is on an increase.
    +1

But the problem is they don't think they're doing anything wrong. They feel it's owed to them because they're poor. It's a part of their culture. (Not Race, "Street Culture")
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Had this happen when I worked at a grocery store in a bad area while in college. 2 guys took a couple of bags full and walked out without paying for them, so the Asst Mgr and I went out the door after them to stop them. One pulled a knife.

Ironically, we were on a busy street and I saw a police car coming from behind them and was waving him over without them realizing it. So, they are standing there threatening us as the officer pulls up, gets out, and comes up behind the guy with the knife........

and, as the LEO put a gun to his head and said "don't move".... the look on the guy's face was "PRICELESS". Both went to jail .... on armed robbery and assault with a deadly weapon charges.
    You mean the "Oh, no I think I **** my pants" look?
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    As reported in my local paper:

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

HADLEY - Hadley police are searching for an unidentified man Tuesday who threatened Stop & Shop security guards with a knife after exiting the store with a shopping cart full of unpaid for items.

Police said a Hispanic or light-skinned black male in his 20s filled his shopping cart with various items, exited the Stop & Shop without paying and attempted to stab one of the store's loss prevention officers when confronted at 12:21 p.m. Tuesday, according to a press release from the Hadley police. Officers from Amherst, the University of Massachusetts and state police performed a search around the supermarket at 456 Russell St. but could not locate the subject.

Anyone with information regarding this case is encouraged to contact the Hadley Police Department at 584-0883.

Source with a shady looking pic - Police: Man takes off with groceries after brandishing knife in Hadley | GazetteNET

- Janq

Note:
    Mrs. Janq and I both shop at this grocery store regularly as it's just down the road from Whole Foods and Trader Joes.
    She was at this store yesterday morning on a grocery run.
    99% of the people who shop here are college students and academics.
    When I moved to this region people told me nothing ever happens in western MA. Monthly they are proven to be wrong.
    Gee, that's not supposed to happen in MA. They've got gun laws.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

And then what did he do, go running at full speed down the street pushing a shopping cart? Did he push the cart up to his car and begin to unload the groceries? How do you make a get away pushing a shopping cart?

I've been wondering _exact_ same.

The parking lot for this store is HUUUGGGE as it's among a plaza that has roughly 10 stores all front facing. To get to the rear/back of the building from the grocery would require a hard sprint (with no cart) to either far end and to go around. It's greater than 100yds. on the shortest side and close to 150 on the longest as the grocery is not dead center but is flanked by an even larger dimension Marshall's store.
    If he went to the parking lot to load up a car then he had to have assistance because with groceries being unbagged it would take a long ! time to get all that out of the kart and into a vehicle.

Which brings to mind response time.
    UMass-Amherst is literally a 15 minute slow walk from this store. Student here do this walk daily 4 seasons. The UMass police station is a straight shot drive that can be done at normal speeds within approx. 3 minutes.
    The Amherst town police dept. is an approx. 5 minute normal speed drive away. Again a pretty much straight shot down Amity and make a left on University Avenue.
    While the Haldey police dept. is roughly 15 minutes away and the state Police presence here though normal and constant a cruiser could be anywhere at any time and there is no base or sub-station in this area for them. Hadley and state po-po though do very much tend to patrol Rt. 9 with high density. The grocery is directly off Rt. 9 and is among a high traffic pattern shopping/commercial district.

That the guy got away is telling.
    Proof once again that as in the immediate depending on police response time to save your bacon clearly is not a one size fits all solution.

Our Stores*-* Stop & Shop

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; January 3rd, 2010 at 12:23 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member

A very old moral argument

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    +1

But the problem is they don't think they're doing anything wrong. They feel it's owed to them because they're poor.
    Ever read "Les Miserables" or see the play or the movie. It has lots of message to a society with a collapsing economy and a political system less than interested in the well being of the ordinary citizen.

The issue of "when if ever is it moral to steal" is not as simple as it appears (the ten commandments not-withstand), and even some catholic clergy (per a news story I saw a few weeks back, somewhere) have begun to delve into this issue in a public way--in light of the present depression.

It could well be that the theft of groceries was moral. (Just putting up food for thought guys. No need to flame.)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    ...So, they are standing there threatening us as the officer pulls up, gets out, and comes up behind the guy with the knife and, as the LEO put a gun to his head and said "don't move".... the look on the guy's face was "PRICELESS"...
    I bet the BG's hate it when that happens.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Links