One From Jacksonville, Florida

One From Jacksonville, Florida

This is a discussion on One From Jacksonville, Florida within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Dad fatally shoots robber; son injured AP via SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER ^ | Saturday, May 6, 2006 | Anon Posted on 05/07/2006 7 34 AM EDT ...

Thread: One From Jacksonville, Florida

Lightbulb One From Jacksonville, Florida

Dad fatally shoots robber; son injured
    AP via SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER ^ | Saturday, May 6, 2006 | Anon

Posted on 05/07/2006 734 AM EDT by Pharmboy

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A father fatally shot a man who tried to rob his family as they waited in their sport utility vehicle for a summer camp enrollment to open, authorities said.

The father's 10-year-old son was injured during the shooting, but it wasn't immediately clear how. The boy, Brevon Ricks, remained hospitalized in critical condition late Saturday, officials said.

The alleged robber approached the driver's window early Saturday, pointed a gun at the father and demanded money, Sheriff's Office spokesman Ken Jefferson said. He then ordered the family of five to unlock one of the SUV's doors, he said.

"The father, sensing something was wrong, decided to defend his family ... pulled out a gun and he shot and killed the suspect on the scene," Jefferson said.

It was not clear if the father was licensed to carry a gun, he said.

The names of the father and the other family members, as well as the alleged robber, were not released.

The family had been parked at the entrance of McGirts Creek Park, waiting to enroll their children in a summer camp, authorities said.

ExSoldier's note: I wonder if the guy moved to try and open a door and the father's muzzle blast caught the kid. That's all I can think of. Because if the dad had accidentally shot his own son, the newsies would be ALL over it! Notice how they said they were unsure if the dad had a CCW? Not illegal to have a gun in FL in your car anyway CCW or not. IF he drew from his hip, well yeah. Maybe it was just on the seat in plain view and the BG didn't see it. I THINK that's still good law in FL. The Seattle Post UNintelligentser is nortoriously ANTI-GUN.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

i hope the son recovers fully and quickly and it is found out the robber , is at fault .

VIP Member
    He's dead, but they should still hang him. Leave his body lying around with a "armed robber" sign on it.

OK, maybe that's too extreme...

Hope the kid comes out OK. The dad, too. There's got to be a lot of emotional baggage that comes with shooting someone. Even someone that needed it.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight
    There's got to be a lot of emotional baggage that comes with shooting someone. Even someone that needed it.
    Especially in front of your whole family. The baggage X # of family members. Tough deal, but a better outcome than otherwise!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Who cares if he had a CCW.
    He did good.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

VIP Member
    ....the Seattle Post-Intelligencer should mind their own beeswax regarding the comings and going in FL.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by srfl
    ....the Seattle Post-Intelligencer should mind their own beeswax regarding the comings and going in FL.
    Yeah, even when I was stationed out at Fort Lewis just south of Seattle, the Post Intelligencer was sticking it's liberal nose in other folks BIDness. Funny thing, just like the area where I live (Miami FL) is liberal and antigun, the rest of the state of FL is very progun and pro-self defense. It's the same way with Seattle and the rest of WA state. The Post-UNintelligencer is in simple denial.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl
    I disagree here; I think anytime far away newspapers want to print self-defense stories, good! As long as the folks reading them understand them to be "good gun stories", even though the paper tries to paint it all as being questionable and dangerous (as if the perps will always go away without hurting anyone if you don't resist -- ha!). Its better than just spiking the story, which is what the lamestream media usually does with stories of self defense.

One for the good guys !

VIP Member
    Good points Freedom and you are right that it's good to see out-of-state news reporting about citizens defending themselves and families, except that to me it's the "spiking of the story" is at the crux of my reason why that newspaper should either report all of the facts (including that weapons carriage in car in FL does not require a permit) or not report it at all. Of course, the same could be said about some local FL papers.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Sponsored Links