This is EXCELLENT news!!!!

This is EXCELLENT news!!!!

This is a discussion on This is EXCELLENT news!!!! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Preliminary Annual Uniform Crime Report, 2009 From the FBI's own site!!! Preliminary figures indicate that, as a whole, law enforcement agencies throughout the Nation reported ...

Talking This is EXCELLENT news!!!!

Preliminary Annual Uniform Crime Report, 2009

From the FBI's own site!!!

Preliminary figures indicate that, as a whole, law enforcement agencies throughout the Nation reported a decrease of 4.4 percent in the number of violent crimes brought to their attention for the first six months of 2009 when compared with figures reported for the same time in 2008. The violent crime category includes murder, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. The number of property crimes in the United States from January to June of 2009 decreased 6.1 percent when compared with data from the same time period in 2008. Property crimes include burglary, larceny-theft, and motor vehicle theft. Arson is also a property crime, but data for arson are not included in property crime totals. Figures for 2009 indicate that arson decreased 8.2 percent when compared to 2008 figures from the same time period.

The data presented in Tables 1 and 2 indicate the percent change in offenses known to law enforcement for the first 6 months of 2009 compared to the first half of 2008 by population group and region, respectively. Table 3 reflects the percent change within the Nation for consecutive years (each year compared to the prior year). Table 4 presents the number of offenses known to law enforcement for agencies having a resident population of 100,000 and over and providing 6 months of complete data for 2009. In addition, Table 4 presents 6 months of 2008 data, where available, as a point of comparison. All data in this Report are preliminary.

PLEASE NOTE

Figures used in this Report are submitted voluntarily by law enforcement agencies throughout the country. Individuals using these tabulations are cautioned against drawing conclusions by making direct comparisons between cities. Comparisons lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting communities and their residents. Valid assessments are possible only with careful study and analysis of the range of unique conditions affecting each local law enforcement jurisdiction. It is important to remember that crime is a social problem and, therefore, a concern of the entire community. The efforts of law enforcement are limited to factors within its control. The data user is, therefore, cautioned against comparing statistical data of individual agencies. Further information on this topic can be obtained in the annual UCR report Crime in the United States, 2008. Data users can obtain assistance by sending e-mails to cjis_comm@leo.gov.

Report issued by Robert S. Mueller III, Director, Federal Bureau of Investigation,
    United States Department of Justice, Washington, D.C. 20535

Advisory: Criminal Justice Information Systems Committee, International Association of Chiefs of Police;

Criminal Justice Information Services Committee, National Sheriffs' Association;

Criminal Justice Information Services Advisory Policy Board
    Stick that in your anti-gun pipe and smoke it

Link to the NRA-ILA article: NRA-ILA :: FBI Reports Huge Decrease In Murders As Firearm, Ammunition And ?Large? Magazine Sales Soar
    Last edited by UnklFungus; January 3rd, 2010 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Additional reference.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Hmmmmm,,,,,, gun ownership goes up and crime goes down

Quote Originally Posted by jimtem View Post
    Hmmmmm,,,,,, gun ownership goes up and crime goes down
    I am just about giddy about this. I have tweeted this, Facebook, etc. This article needs to be sent to everyone we know!!!!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Have you ever read, "More Guns Less Crime", by John Lott? Great book.

Quote Originally Posted by jimtem View Post
    Have you ever read, "More Guns Less Crime", by John Lott? Great book.
    No, I'll have to check it out.

A blurb from the NRA-ILA site

The FBI, criminologists, and sociologists credit many factors for the 38% decrease in violent crime since 1991, including improvements in the criminal justice system, law enforcement policies, and the economy, a reduction in the "crack" cocaine trade, and the aging of gang members. Gun control advocates claim that gun control is responsible for the decrease in crime, but since 1991 gun control has been scaled back at the federal, state and local levels, and the number of privately owned firearms has increased between 65-70 million.

Patrick Henry

Well now ya did it. As soon as the anti's in the WH get wind of it, they'll effectively put a stop to it. If it's working and they had no hand in it, they'll find some BS to alter the overall positive view in an effort to stifle any ground that may have been gained. Just my pessimistic view.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I posted this in the Georgia thread too, but it is germane to both:

D.C. homicides hit lowest level since '64 - Washington Times

The year is drawing to a close with homicides in the District at a 45-year low, reflecting a national trend that law enforcement officials are attributing to multipronged crime-prevention strategies that include advances in communication and coordination.

With just two days left in the year, according to preliminary numbers from the police department, the District has had 138 homicides compared with 184 at the same time last year, setting up the city to record the lowest number of homicides since 1964, when 132 were reported killed. Metropolitan Police Department officials attribute the decline to a "perfect storm" of crime-fighting strategies, including a new culture of communication within the police department.

"The level of involvement far surpasses anything I've ever seen," said Metropolitan Police Commander Daniel Hickson, a more than 30-year veteran of the department and former homicide detective. "To imagine we're at 138 is unbelievable."

Commander Hickson said the District - known two decades ago as the "murder capital" of the country - has made progress by targeting violent gun offenders and emphasizing community policing and communication among officers.

The result this year has been a drop in violent crime and property crime. The sharpest drop was in homicides, at 25 percent, followed by a 16 percent decline in sexual assaults and a 10 percent decrease in car thefts...
    I'm sure the SCOTUS decision has a LOT to do with this, now that you legally have a gun for protection!

Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Well now ya did it. As soon as the anti's in the WH get wind of it, they'll effectively put a stop to it. If it's working and they had no hand in it, they'll find some BS to alter the overall positive view in an effort to stifle any ground that may have been gained. Just my pessimistic view.
    LOL Pessimistic? Nawww, I would say that's pretty optimistic if that's all you think they're going to do. I figure they will probably try to ease up on all the horrible criminal penalties that we have. Poor criminals. Afterall, the old "It's not the criminal, it's the gun." clichet ought to even make things better if they get started on that right away. Don't ya think?
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    That's real good news. Let's send that to Mr. John Tesh and the Brady Campaign and every other Anti-Gun/Weapon group we can think of before they have a chance to put up some bogus reports from whatever agency they can find probably that anti-gun Medical Journal Association, (sorry can't think of their name right now) like I trust them.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

VIP Member
    mprp

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gottabkiddin

LOL Pessimistic? Nawww, I would say that's pretty optimistic if that's all you think they're going to do. I figure they will probably try to ease up on all the horrible criminal penalties that we have. Poor criminals. Afterall, the old "It's not the criminal, it's the gun." clichet ought to even make things better if they get started on that right away. Don't ya think?

This is great Discourse, Isn't it??
    I agree with these two

"Far better to keep your mouth shut and let everyone think you're stupid than to open it and leave no doubt."
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    That's real good news. Let's send that to Mr. John Tesh and the Brady Campaign and every other Anti-Gun/Weapon group we can think of before they have a chance to put up some bogus reports from whatever agency they can find probably that anti-gun Medical Journal Association, (sorry can't think of their name right now) like I trust them.
    No, let's just lock them all in a room and make them listen to John Tesh's "music" over and over again. They'll all be praying for a gun soon enough.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

It is great news that crime is going down, but we must always guard against promoting correlation to causation.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Links