Officer Ambushed

Officer Ambushed

This is a discussion on Officer Ambushed within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Officer Shot, Suspect Killed - Photos - WLWT Cincinnati...

Thread: Officer Ambushed

U.S. Army Veteran

Not good.

Yikes, even in Mayberry it's getting dangerous. Hopefully the officer recovers well. The suspect is dead. That's good.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Administrator
    This is pretty close to me. In fact, my group has trained these officers. Mt. Orab is a small country town. They typically hire young, fresh out of the academy officers hoping to gain experience so they can move on to better paying departments.

Both of these officers are young. Everything I've heard so far is that they did things right. There is a little more to the story than whats being reported (as usual), I hope to be out there later this week looking at the entire case.
    Last edited by SIXTO; January 4th, 2010 at 10:52 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Was there a story to go with the un-annotated slide show? That's all I could get from the link.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Was there a story to go with the un-annotated slide show? That's all I could get from the link.
    Go to the WLWT website and the full story is there. Some of the comments are...well...let's use the word "interesting". Many are quite positive and well-thought out. Good small-town sentiment. On the other hand, a couple of the relatives of the shooter who had his birth-certificate revoked? They seem to be a bit spelling/grammer challenged and are intent on defending his "good name".
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Administrator
    Here;

Mt. Orab Officer Shot, Man Killed In 'Ambush' - Cincinnati News Story - WLWT Cincinnati

MOUNT ORAB, Ohio --
    A Mt. Orab police officer is recovering after an "ambush" at the police department overnight, officials said.

Police said the incident started earlier Saturday night when George Ruby was stopped on suspicion of drunken driving.

Investigators said the police were called to a McDonald's at about 1 a.m. Sunday in response to an intoxicated man. Police said a customer had called in to complain about the man.

Another customer told News 5 that Ruby was making threats.

Officers said they detained Ruby at the scene and called his wife to pick him up. Later on, investigators said the officers saw Ruby driving his truck on North High Street.

Ruby was arrested, booked into jail and later released, according to police.

[Officer Christopher Hodges]
    Officer Christopher Hodges
    Investigators said Ruby later returned to the station on South High Street with a gun and "ambushed" the officers, shooting Officer Justin Conley in the back at about 4 a.m.

Officer Christopher Hodges returned fire, shooting and killing Ruby, police said.

Officials said multiple shots were fired and there is damage to a police station window and a cruiser.

Conley was wearing a bulletproof vest, and was treated and released from the hospital, police said.

"He's like a son. Five years on the department, happy go lucky guy, not the guy you think this is going to happen to. You know it could happen, you don't want it to happen to you," Mt. Orab police Chief Bryan Mount said.

Officers said only Conley and Hodges were on duty in Mt. Orab at the time, and that they were both involved with Ruby's arrest earlier in the evening.

[Officer Justin Conley]
    Officer Justin Conley
    "There was a fair amount of damage done to the building, but can all be replaced. The big thing that we're happy about, is that our officer is OK," Lt. John Black said.

Mt. Orab officials said they do not believe they had any contact with Ruby before.

Ruby's family said that he was not a violent man and he was known for his laughter and humor. They said the incident is out of character and that Ruby had fallen on a string of bad luck recently.

The Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation out of Columbus will be handling the investigation.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Scary stuff. Not to far from me at all.

The perp being 61 years old surprised me. His being drunk and out of work did not.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Happy that officer had his body armor on.....and bravo zulu on the 'revoking' of his birth certificate!

Hope both officers recover and are back 10-8 soonest!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote: "They said the incident is out of character and that Ruby had fallen on a string of bad luck recently."

Once again, people are making excuses for criminal behavior. Why is it never just a stupid move or a bad decision? It is always "something caused this person to do something bad so it isn't their fault."
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member
    ..."Ruby's family said that he was not a violent man and he was known for his laughter and humor."...

Isn't this often the case? My signature quote sure seems to apply to a few of these. Heck, I didn't even notice the post by 'BigStick' before I essentially stated the same thing. In the end, it simply doesn't matter how nice we were, prior to shooting a cop!
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

For a young officer, Hodges did very well to end the confrontation. Sure glad Conley was wearing body armor!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I know a lot of people out of work and their luck seems to be on the downside,but they don't get drunk and cause trouble at mcdonalds,then have some nice cops call their wife to come get them,only to decide they need to drive around town drunk and get arrested and then released.Now they decide they are gonna go kill the cops that cut me a break.I have 0 sympathy for this scumbag
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Around here they keep them overnight and call the family to come get the vehicle. Seems like a good policy, since drunks are not wearing their thinking caps.

This guy was one year short of social security. Must have been partly suicide by cop.

The officers have been traumatized. For that I am sorry and wishing their swift complete recovery.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links