OK City Police Officer Arrested

This is a discussion on OK City Police Officer Arrested within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The policeman was walking along the road drunk when a deputy pulled up. The policeman said that he had a fight with his girlfriend. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK City Police Officer Arrested

The policeman was walking along the road drunk when a deputy pulled up. The policeman said that he had a fight with his girlfriend. The deputy put the drunk in his cruiser while he talked with the girlfriend. It all went well until the drunk policeman kicked a window out of the deputy's car.

OKC Police Officer Arrested - Oklahoma City News Story - KOCO Oklahoma City

He's no different than any other drunk who smash's a cruiser window. Take him to jail.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

VIP Member
    Bet he's proud of himself today!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

See even Leo's can get stupid after drinking to excess,Now you know why It's a bad idea to drink while armed,your mental faculties become impaired
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Imagine that, police officers can have moments of poor judgement during traumatic times in their lives too.

I would say treat him the same as any other person should be. Give him a reprimand, have him pay for the window and apologize to the other officer involved and the girlfriend.

It's amazing how much less legal activity would be required if we were all just more polite and able to act civilized.
    Walk softly ...

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    Imagine that, police officers can have moments of poor judgement during traumatic times in their lives too.

I would say treat him the same as any other person should be. Give him a reprimand, have him pay for the window and apologize to the other officer involved and the girlfriend.

It's amazing how much less legal activity would be required if we were all just more polite and able to act civilized.
    Sorry, but I could not disagree more. Well, I actually agree with your last sentence.

As for the middle part, though...

When I was a patrol officer, if a drunk kicked out my back window (happened more than once), he/she was charged with destruction of city property, at a minimum. Usually public drunk; disturbing the peace; etc as well. The same charges (or the local equivalent) should apply to this idiot. Let him slide with an "apology" and he will just do it again. It sounds like he needs to seek some treatment for a drinking problem.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

But he is different that an ordinary citizen, he knows full well the legal repercussions of his actions. LEO's should be held to a higher standard than average Joe Blow.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    I think the police chief in our town would have this officer look for another job. He holds to a higher standard and makes that known during the recruitment process. Result has been very good support and assistance for the force in the community. The officers that are successful here are recruited by the better paying departments. The others are allowed to leave on their own terms. Turnover is approximately 12% per year. Most to better opportunities.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Don't get me wrong, I think LEOs should be held to a higher standard than civilians, and I don't think they should get special treatment. And I think I might have come across as an apologetic/sympathizer in my last reply(which I'm not). Obviously, it depends on the history and situation for each individual, but if this the first time he has ever had any incident, I don't think it should ruin his life. Document it, deal with the sittuation and move on. Now is this followed a pattern of behavior in line with previous behavior, then throw the book at him. It is hard to say without all the details.
    Last edited by BigStick; January 4th, 2010 at 05:27 PM. Reason: clarification
    Walk softly ...

Idiot

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    But he is different that an ordinary citizen, he knows full well the legal repercussions of his actions. LEO's should be held to a higher standard than average Joe Blow.
    They are. Not only do they face the legal system, they also loose their jobs.
    Get fired from one department, good luck getting hired on another.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sixto, true enough indeed. Although I must say this officer exercised extraordinarily bad judgment. We once had an off-duty officer get drunk, flee from on-duty officers, then proceed to fight when he got pulled over, necessitating a 10-17 assist an officer radio call for help, it was several minutes before anyone figured out he was "one of use" we don't need cops like that on my department
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

VIP Member
    "Look, LEO's, they get drunk and kick out the window of patrol cars, just like US"

Could'nt help it!! Sorry I respect Officer's of the Law, Just not when they do stupid things, but as was said previously, he is human

"If you put the government in charge of the desert, there would be a sand shortage within ten years." - A very wise man
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jacket View Post
    He's no different than any other drunk who smash's a cruiser window. Take him to jail.
    Absolutely. Color of jacket makes no difference.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Destruction of city property. Holding cell until sober (not with other detainees). Let him sign his own bail the next morning then let the judge set sentence based on other like cases. If the Chief fires him or has mandatory alcohol counseling and anger management then thats up to the Chief. Do you think when a LEO is pulled over for speeding he gets a bigger fine than others?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links