Pro Golf Caddie Victim of Home-Invasion

This is a discussion on Pro Golf Caddie Victim of Home-Invasion within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Golf pro caddie Greg Rita and his family were victims of a home-invasion robbery New Year's Eve. According to a Jacksonville Sheriff's ...

Thread: Pro Golf Caddie Victim of Home-Invasion

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Golf pro caddie Greg Rita and his family were victims of a home-invasion robbery New Year's Eve.

According to a Jacksonville Sheriff's Office report, around 6 a.m. New Year's Eve, three men broke in through an open garage door.

Police said Rita's wife woke up to three people "standing at the foot of her bed." One of the suspects was armed and hit her with the butt of a gun, the report said.

The suspects took Rita's wife to the living room and left her husband, who is battling brain cancer, in their bedroom, according to the report.

The couple's 4-year-old son was in another room and remained asleep throughout the ordeal.

"It's really frightening to know people are not afraid to come in your home," said Connie Claussen, one of Rita's neighbors, today. Claussen said the community is now on edge.

The suspects spent about an hour in Rita's home ransacking it and taking thousands of dollars of jewelry, police said.

"One of my neighbors said they saw a green car speeding off as it left," said Trevor Irion, another neighbor.

According to the police report, officers tracked that car to Spinnaker Reach apartments, which is across the street from Rita's neighborhood.

Police said in one apartment, they found televisions and jewelry that matched the descriptions of those items from the Rita home.

Police arrested Jay Sowers, 17, Joshua Martin, 19, and 20-year old Bernard Johnson in the crime. Police are not releasing their mug shots or other information about the crime because they said there may be other victims.

Anytime, anywhere, anyONE.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

three men broke in through an open garage door
    Occupants in bed, and the garage door is open. Whether it was the car door, or the door into the house, leaving it open was not a smart move.

Why would someone leave a door open?

The victims were 'shocked' that someone would walk into their home?
    I'm 'shocked' that someone would leave doors to the home unlocked.

These guys must have been trying doors and found an open one. Pretty gutsy dirtbags...too bad that they couldn't have met a lead welcoming committee.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    My mom asked me why I was carrying in the house.. I said because 100% of home invasions happen at home. She stopped questioning me after that... and this story above will be told to her soon....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Never leave any door unlocked or even nowadays. It's just an invitation for a criminal. With crime on the rise due to drugs and that sort, they resort to just about anything. They don't care who you are, who you know or what you do. It's all about them (the home invaders) and is a sad thing how we as a people have slipped to new lows.

We keep the gates locked to our backyard now, didn't use to, but with the recent rash of B&E's all over our neighborhood, that was the least I could do at the moment.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

"It's really frightening to know people are not afraid to come in your home," said Connie Claussen, one of Rita's neighbors, today. Claussen said the community is now on edge.
    It's a little late to be "on edge." But at least they now know criminals aren't the least bit concerned with or afraid of clueless/careless people. Time to wake up and smell the cesspool, folks.

Anytime, anywhere ... including your own home when you aren't expecting it. This should be common knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    We keep the gates locked to our backyard now, didn't use to ...
    It likely won't make any difference to anyone who wants back there. At best, you can hope they will make some noise. Not likely, but it's now a bit more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    My neighbor (a young couple) does it all the time, both the garage door and the interior door leading from the garage to the kitchen. And they've got a 5yr old and a 2yr old, at home. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Occupants in bed, and the garage door is open. Whether it was the car door, or the door into the house, leaving it open was not a smart move.

exactly....I wish I had a dollar for every call I've been on where dirtbags either got into the house or just stole stuff from garages where the homeowner just left the door open....in broad daylight...since they live on the "good side of town".....thankfully none of my calls involved people being harmed just stuff stolen....Lexus SUV (left keys in ignition....), bikes, motorcycles, the list goes on forever
    our crime prevention unit puts this stuff out on TV/websites and we place hangars on houses when we find garages left open....and people still do it, then wonder why/can't believe somebody stole their stuff
    sorry, I'll stop my rant now

more reason why a weapon is on me as I sit in my house
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    I wish I had a dollar for every call I've been on where dirtbags either got into the house or just stole stuff from garages where the homeowner just left the door open....in broad daylight...since they live on the "good side of town".
    The "good" side of town, indeed. In reality, as viewed from the opportunist (aka, the criminal), it's the "opportunity" side of town. Always has been. And, IMO, so long as people keep their eyes tightly shut, it always will be.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Agreed with you guys, I too have heard that comment about 'good' and 'quiet' part/side of town.

My neighbor two lots over (empty lot/field separates the two of us) suffered nearly exact same result last summer.
    Only they slept through the entire episode to wake up next morning with their house ransacked and computers all gone. The husband was then in stage 3 cancer and weaker than a newborn. The wife in her 60s and pretty much no better off. It scared them very well. The first crime to occur on my street (a cul de sac) since it was literally developed from a farmers field over 30 yrs. ago.

Entry was through an unlocked open window at the side of the attached garage. All they had to do was cut the screen and poof they were inside the box. The door from the garage as into the main house (we all have one) was left unlocked as per their own household norm the wife would later state to me directly. The home invader walked right on in for a very easy score.

As though BGs and fools will be allergic to good town air and avenues, and can only be around bricks and breathe bus exhaust air.
    Suburban and rural people suffer from this thought process _badly_.

As well as the old my neighbor is a cop.
    So.
    That just means he's never home and when he/she is it's at odd times and hours AND is very obvious to toward absence to _anyone_ because there is no cop car out front. Duh.
    As though criminals don't have eyes too. Crimes and break ins occur right next to police stations (!) and even at cop and police chief own homes.

Close _all_ your doors and at night windows too. Then lock them, which is why the locks are there. Duh!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    As well as the old my neighbor is a cop.
    So.

That just means he's never home and when he/she is it's at odd times and hours AND is very obvious to toward absence to _anyone_ because there is no cop car out front. Duh.
    As though criminals don't have eyes too. Crimes and break ins occur right next to police stations (!) and even at cop and police chief own homes.
    - Janq
    yeah.....in the last 5 days 2 houses and 3 cars have been burglarized on my block and the next street over......I did a lot to deter that due to my residence location
    we don't have take home cars so I'm even less of a deterrent
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I lock up tight every night, you just never know.

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    yeah.....in the last 5 days 2 houses and 3 cars have been burglarized on my block and the next street over......I did a lot to deter that due to my residence location
    we don't have take home cars so I'm even less of a deterrent
    Yep.

Not to mention that marked cop cars are regularly broken into as well to steal arms.

People come up with these real world non-functional theories and assumptions about crime and criminology largely from ignorance and lack of exposure, or head in sand 'hope'.
    By that they then suffer. Unfortunate.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Now that I'm retired I work in my shop behind the house a lot.
    My wife noticed I carry my sidearm while at home now.
    She asked why. I said, I'm practicing my carry techniques.
    My neighbor hood is a quiet place, but I believe anything can happen.
    Not to mention the coyotes are getting worse. And since I'm here to see them..... I'm ready!

A lucky thing is my garage is not attached to my house because the wife forgets to close her garage door all the time. I catch it during my nightly lock up rounds.

Sad to hear this families sense of security got violated. Fortunately they survived to live another day.

Sponsored Links