Man shot in my own town..

Man shot in my own town..

This is a discussion on Man shot in my own town.. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I read the below article in this mornings newspaper (which only comese out twice a week, Wed & Sat) I've mentioned before that I live ...

Thread: Man shot in my own town..

Thumbs down Man shot in my own town..

I read the below article in this mornings newspaper (which only comese out twice a week, Wed & Sat) I've mentioned before that I live in a small resort community. Most people I know here don't carry, let alone lock their doors. SA is a term that 90% of our residents have probably never heard. I really feel like most people here are total and live in a cloud of false security. This just illustrates that bad things can and do happen ANYWHERE. This happened in an "affordable" apartment complex that sits just on the edge of a VERY nice neighborhood where homes average $1.8M and can exceed $7M.

Monitor Drive shooting appears random, police say - The Park Record

Monitor Drive shooting appears random, police say
    Man was unloading vehicle after a vacation when gunman confronted him
    by Jay Hamburger OF THE RECORD STAFF
    The Park Record
    Posted:01/05/2010 0305 PM MST

An assailant shot a man Saturday in the parking lot of a Park City apartment complex in what investigators describe as a random shooting, an unusual case in a city that many consider generally safe from gun violence.

The victim was shot in the face at approximately 6:30 p.m., the Park City Police Department said. He was taken to a hospital in the Salt Lake Valley. The police said the victim was in stable condition early in the week. The Police Department did not release the victim's name.

Officers arrested a 19-year-old man from Ephraim, Utah, within approximately 40 minutes. German Chavez faces preliminary charges of aggravated attempted murder, which is enhanced since the police say a weapon was used. He also faces charges of possession of a firearm by a restricted person and possession of a stolen firearm. The gun had been reported stolen outside of Utah, the Police Department said.

Formal charges had not been filed by Tuesday morning. The Summit County Attorney's Office is screening the case, and sometimes formal charges do not match those that the police file initially. Summit County Attorney David Brickey was expected to file formal charges as early as late on Tuesday, his office said.

According to the Police Department, the 48-year-old victim was in a parking lot at 2200 Monitor Drive unloading his vehicle after returning from a vacation to the Wendover, Nev., area. The police said Chavez offered to sell the man some electronics, but the victim refused to buy the goods. Chavez then brandished a handgun and shot the man in the face, the police said.

Police Chief Wade Carpenter said the victim suffered a gunshot wound in the area of his mouth. He was shot at "very close range," Carpenter said. He said the victim claims he does not know the assailant.

"There is no reason to believe any thing (other) than it's attempted homicide," Carpenter said.

Immigration officials have ordered Chavez held. He is locked up at the Summit County Jail at Silver Summit.

Carpenter said the victim on Sunday morning picked Chavez from a photo lineup as the assailant. He said Chavez does not have a criminal record. Investigators have not turned up evidence that the suspect has ties to Park City.

The police chief said investigators have gathered footage from a surveillance camera at the apartment complex that shows the confrontation. He said investigators have compiled "evidence that is pertinent to the case," but he declined to discuss whether the police have taken the gun into evidence.

"I think we're in good shape. We have a good case," Carpenter said.

The police tracked Chavez using the surveillance footage. Carpenter said the footage from the scene of the shooting showed a vehicle similar to the Volkswagen Jetta Chavez was pulled over in between 30 and 40 minutes after the shooting.

Carpenter said the police found the Jetta driving close to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints property on Monitor Drive and stopped Chavez on Eagle Cove Drive, a small street on the northern edge of Park Meadows. The vehicle had expired tags, Carpenter said.

"It was good police work, I'll tell you that," Carpenter said.

The authorities received a 911 call reporting the shooting. An emergency dispatcher said they could hear people arguing in the background during the 911 call, according to police logs.

The shooting is especially surprising given its apparent randomness, and gun violence is extremely rare in Park City. The last shooting inside Park City occurred in 2003 when a man was killed in an apartment after a night of partying and roughhousing.
    When it's that close to home you pay attention. What change did I make today as a result of this? Now carrying one in the tube. I now realize that there is no way I could un-tuck, draw, rack, aim then shoot if I had to quickly.

The gun had been reported stolen outside of Utah, the Police Department said.
    This story is a good example of why in other threads I am so strong about taking best effort to secure ones firearms when they are not in use, as carried on body or within direct view.

People here comment how they stow guns under the seats and in glove compartments of their cars.
    Others store handguns and longguns in the corner of rooms, closets and kitchen as well as desk drawers. Other even report having forgotten the location of and "lost" their guns.
    Never mind those who store them behind paper thin glass among their living room in those old timey gun display cabinets.

It's reported that the vast majority of guns used by BGs during solved case criminal victimization events were stolen from lawful owners.
    People will comment, including here at DC, that ehh if some BG breaks into my house and steals my guns well then that's not my fault it's on him.
    This is true it's not ones fault per se to have your home broken into BUT it is your responsibility as a member of our society to do what you can to stymie if not prevent your arms from going to the street. Only to wind up being used to ruin the life of your neighbor or even a relative as by otherwise unrelated circumstance.

Unfortunate but quite common.

Now this man if he survives his wounds will be scarred for life physically and mentally.

Incidences such as this are equally as bad as kids finding guns in their home who wind up injuring them self or others. Very well avoidable, only these type situation occur far more regularly and folks shrug off the related responsibility with 'it's my right'...

- Janq

"Although most crime is not committed with guns, most gun crime is committed with handguns. Although most available guns are not used in crime, information about the 223 million guns available to the general public provides a context for evaluating criminal preferences for guns. By definition, stolen guns are available to criminals. The FBI's National Crime Information Center (NCIC) stolen gun file contains over 2 million reports; 60% are reports of stolen handguns.
    In 1994, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) received over 85,132 requests from law enforcement agencies for traces of guns used in crime. Over three-quarters of the guns traced by the ATF in 1994 were handguns (mostly pistols), and almost a third were less than 3 years old."
    Marianne W. Zawitz, BJS Statistician, 'Guns Used in Crime', Bureau of Justice Statistics, 1995
    Source - Guns Used in Crime
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    I agree it is my responsibility to secure my weapons from unauthorized use. Jang is correct about that.

A criminal will get a weapon regardless of the source. That criminal is the murderer, not the stolen weapon. A position with which I am sure Jang agrees.

No one should feel guilty because someone stole their car with a weapon inside. Laws that prohibit licensed carry inside the post office for example are responsible for the weapon being in the car. Otherwise it would be in my pocket.

Safety this day is the immediate problem. I will take prudent precautions regarding my weapons, but not at the expense of our safety today. Guilt free.

Tiwee,

I am not saying nor implying that the firearm as used to be a 'weapon' is the murderer.
    That of course is non-sensical. Firearms have no means to control them self and make any function or result occur. They are inert without being handled by a living being.

As to car stowage, not the car being stolen. The gun being stolen, as from the car.
    People very much regularly find their cars broken into and ransacked for valuables. Ipods, car stereos, speakers, purses, DVDs, money, purses and guns. This is why now days most every car sold regardless of price point comes OEM with an alarm system standard.
    Theft of the car is of no concern. Breaking into the car and theft of what is stored inside is. A car is not a secure container. As two police depts. have found out the hard way in recent articles posted here in this area within the past 6 months toward police firearms being stored in unmarked/civilian vehicles.

As to guilt and feeling guilty, some people including persons among us do and would have such an emotion.
    People who as I described leave guns just all around the house and anywhere per their own statements. For no good or purposeful reason really as one might 'store' an extra broom or mop.

For firearms that are specifically purposed toward home defense, "safety", as I'd stated then that/those have a specific purpose and should be treated as such.
    Have them in hand or carried on body (handguns). Keep them in direct view or as stored readily accessible _when_ you are actually within your home.
    At time of departure put those same tools away under lock and key.

Why?
    Because like cars homes get broken into daily too and they as well are _not_ secure containers.
    People imagine and wish them to be but fact is for 99.9% of homes this thought is far from the truth. That is just a fact of the matter and not because I say so.

As Bill Cosby used to say; "The proof is in the pudding!".

In this specific news case a man as third party to a prior robbery of a home and firearm stolen will now suffer as a related result, to spend his days if not months being fed pudding.
    The owner of the gun from whom it was stolen did not shoot the man of course. But that is not the point. Placing blame.
    The point is to THINK and remember that no man is an island.
    People here talk about protecting them self and even protecting their fellow man. Well the proof is in the pudding.
    Properly and securely storing your firearms is a _direct_ and _active_ means to protect yourself as well as your neighbor and fellow man as against theft in the immediate AND becoming yet another victim as by third party relationship like this poor guy shot in the face by a criminal with a stolen gun.

Yes a criminal will get a weapon regardless of the source.
    It just so happens as again being fact that the majority of firearm related criminals get their weapons as stolen from our homes and cars. Homes and cars that people, including here among our own at DC.com, very commonly report they do not with regularity think it necessary to lock up so as to secure (!).

We all as gun owners hold to some degree a direct responsibility to make an effort to prevent occurrences such as this case from happening.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Well, the shooting was random, not part of some localized gang or impending crime wave. It sucks to be this random victim, but the rest of you are safe so don't freak out.

Any idea of Chavez' immigration status?

Sponsored Links