Georgia: Bibb man shoots attacking dogs; no charges filed

This is a discussion on Georgia: Bibb man shoots attacking dogs; no charges filed within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Georgia: Bibb man shoots attacking dogs; no charges filed Posted by David Jan 8 Bibb County, Georgia From the Macon Telegraph of January 7, 2010 ...

Thread: Georgia: Bibb man shoots attacking dogs; no charges filed

Posted by David

Jan 8

Bibb County, Georgia

From the Macon Telegraph of January 7, 2010

Bibb man shoots attacking dogs; no charges filed

A Bibb County man told sheriff’s deputies he killed two stray pit bulls in self-defense Sunday evening, according to a sheriff’s report.

The report said the man went to feed his animals outside his Jeffersonville Road residence when he was aggressively approached by a pit bull. The man got a shotgun from his house and fired at the dog, missing it. The dog fled the scene.
    Click here to find out more!

As the man approached his animal pen, he saw a second pit bull that tried to attack him and he shot it once, killing it, the report stated. He found a third pit bull in the pen and shot it as well. The man told deputies the dogs killed three of his hogs and a cow.

No charges have been filed against the man.

Georgia: Bibb man shoots attacking dogs; no charges filed :The Armed Citizen

2. Remove Ads

I love how the press puts it's spin on how this man is somehow Guilty of something he should be charged with.

If that were on my ranch, I'd go get the shovel and keep my mouth shut. Well, maybe I'd tell the neighbors to be on the look out.
    Then go hunt down the third Pit Bull. But, I bet it won't be long before the 3 rd Pit Bull shows back up for dinner.

We have a lot of Dumped Pets out here and once they turn wild, there's no stopping them from attacking anything for food.

The Shelters are full of unwanted animals, so no use calling them to come after them.

Sad really!

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    The man told deputies the dogs killed three of his hogs and a cow.
    That right there is amazing to me. We lost some calves, but the hogs and cows were pretty well able to fend off stray dogs until rescued. The farmer is lucky to have survived dogs this dangerous.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    That right there is amazing to me. We lost some calves, but the hogs and cows were pretty well able to fend off stray dogs until rescued. The farmer is lucky to have survived dogs this dangerous.
    Unless they were young animals, I have to agree with you on this.

Most of our county residents just shoot the stray wild dogs and bury them (I'm sorry to say unfortunately) for it's not the dogs fault that some (usual case) worthless human being abandoned it out in the country.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    That right there is amazing to me.

The farmer is lucky to have survived dogs this dangerous.
    I've seen what a small pack of feral dogs (undetermined mixed-breed) can do to some rather large hog's at my Uncle's farm out in rural Louisiana (Simsport/ Alexsandria area) This happened back in the early eighties.

Sounds a little fishy, but, I can't discount it without more info.

And yeah, I know more than a few land owners/farmers who'll shoot ANY dog on sight as well.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I would have not called the SO...I would have just gotten a shovel.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I would have not called the SO...I would have just gotten a shovel.
    What happened to " Gators gotta eat too"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yep, SSS.
    Many years ago my dad had a commotion where two large dogs had killed a colt. Two shots=two dead dogs. Dad didn't even shovel. The carnivores had several good weeks. Of course, the dead was several hundred yards downwind from the house and barn.
    oldog
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

In the past 25 years i've killed at least a dozen wild dogs here in SW OK. Last year I got a call from the wife of a friend who was
    out of town. Two big pit bulls were chasing their cattle. Got there pretty quick and dispatched the two dogs before they seriously injured any cattle.

Here it is fashionable for pet owners and dope makers to take their unwanted dogs out into the county and turn them loose. Couple of years a go I killed a huge Samoyed that attacked me as I was opening a gate. I have no use for feral dogs and will kill any dog on our property that is not wearing a collar. Our sheriff has no problem with that.

My how times have changed. I have shot dogs that were attacking livestock many years back. The dogs turned out to belong to visiting relatives of a neighboring farmer. After finding out about it the neighbor apologized for the dogs being loose and offered to pay for any damages they may have caused.

In those days a dog didn't have to be attacking a person or animal. They were shot for merely chasing livestock for fun.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by cbp210 View Post
    A Bibb County man told sheriff’s deputies he killed two stray pit bulls in self-defense Sunday evening, according to a sheriff’s report.
    No charges have been filed against the man.
    Wait. Didn't you all tell me I was wrong to fear Pit Bulls charging me?
    I stood a better chance of being bitten by a Chihuahua?

Imagine that. A pit Bull attack.

This case brought back memories still fresh in my mind:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-day-long.html

Links