REALLY?-Briton arrested in Dubai for speck of weed weighing less than grain of sugar

REALLY?-Briton arrested in Dubai for speck of weed weighing less than grain of sugar

This is a discussion on REALLY?-Briton arrested in Dubai for speck of weed weighing less than grain of sugar within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Briton jailed for four years in Dubai after customs find cannabis weighing less than a grain of sugar under his shoe | Mail Online A ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

Briton jailed for four years in Dubai after customs find cannabis weighing less than a grain of sugar under his shoe | Mail Online

A father-of-three who was found with a microscopic speck of cannabis stuck to the bottom of one of his shoes has been sentenced to four years in a Dubai prison.
    Keith Brown, a council youth development officer, was travelling through the United Arab Emirates on his way back to England when he was stopped as he walked through Dubai's main airport.
    A search by customs officials uncovered a speck of cannabis weighing just 0.003g - so small it would be invisible to the naked eye and weighing less than a grain of sugar - on the tread of one of his shoes.
    Dubai International Airport is a major hub for the Middle East and thousands of Britons pass through it every year to holiday in the glamorous beach and shopping haven.
    But many of those tourists and business travellers are likely to be unaware of the strict zero-tolerance drugs policy in the UAE.
    One man has even been jailed for possession of three poppy seeds left over from a bread roll he ate at Heathrow Airport. Painkiller codeine is also banned.
    If suspicious of a traveller, customs officials can use high-tech equipment to uncover even the slightest trace of drugs.
    Mr Brown was detained and arrested in September last year and has been held in a cell with three other men in the city prison ever since.
    This week the youth worker, who has two young children and a partner at home in Smethwick, West Midlands, was sentenced to four years in prison.
    A 25-year-old Briton who was found with a similar speck in one pocket as he arrived on holiday has been awaiting sentence since November.
    Meanwhile a Big Brother TV executive has so far been held without charge for five days after being arrested for possessing the health supplement melatonin.
    The authorities claim to have discovered 0.01g of hashish in his luggage.
    Last night Mr Brown's brother Lee said his case "defied belief".
    "For that sort of amount common sense should prevail, from where it was found it was obviously something that had been crushed on the floor - it could have come from anywhere."
    Rastafarian Mr Brown had been returning from a short trip to Ethiopia, where one of his children lives and where he owns property.
    He was travelling with his partner Imani, who was also stopped and detained for more than a week.
    Normally he flew direct to and from the UK, but decided to stop off in Dubai.
    "He was incensed when he called me," said driving instructor Lee, 57. "It would be funny if the circumstances weren't so unpleasant.
    "Bugs are crawling out of his mattress when he's sleeping. His family are frantic with worry and can't call him."
    Last night campaign group Fair Trials International advised visitors to Dubai and Abu Dhabi to "take extreme caution".
    Chief Executive Catherine Wolthuizen said: "We have seen a steep increase in such cases over the last 18 months.
    "Customs authorities are using highly sensitive new equipment to conduct extremely thorough searches on travellers and if they find any amount - no matter how minute - it will be enough to attract a mandatory four-year prison sentence."
    Mrs Wolthuizen added: "We even have reports of the imprisonment of a Swiss man for 'possession' of three poppy seeds on his clothing after he ate a bread roll at Heathrow.

Held: A campaign is underway to secure the release of Cat Le-Huy from a Dubai jail
    "What many travellers may not realise is that they can be deemed to be in possession of such banned substances if they can be detected in their urine or bloodstream, or even in tiny, trace amounts on their person."
    Only two months after Mr Brown was stopped economics graduate Robert Dalton was detained in almost identical circumstances.
    Mr Dalton, from Gravesend, on Kent was with two friends when he was stopped and asked to empty his pockets.
    Officials found 0.03g of cannabis in a small amount of fluff. He is currently on trial and if convicted, is likely receive a four-year prison sentence.
    Last night his brother Peter, 26, told how it took 24 hours to find out why he had been stopped.
    "As we understand, the amount of cannabis was barely visible to the human eye and was at the bottom of the pocket of an old pair of jeans.
    "He's not a drug user, but he goes clubbing and the speck was so small."
    Last week Cat Le-Huy, a London-based German national, was arrested on arrival at the airport.
    Mr Le-Huy, 31, head of technology with Big Brother production company Endemol, was arrested on suspicion of possessing illegal drugs after customs officers found melatonin, a health supplement used for jet lag available over the counter both in Dubai and in the US.
    Authorities also claim they discovered fragments in one of his bags which they believe to be hashish. Fair Trials International said the amount was 0.01g.

Read more: Briton jailed for four years in Dubai after customs find cannabis weighing less than a grain of sugar under his shoe | Mail Online
    This seems to me like they're out to prove something with these arrests. The poppy-seed one especially wreaks of lack of common-sense. These are instances any of us can find ourselves in going through an airport. With how many millions of people passing through their walls, it's impossible to determine where the speck came from.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Once outside the borders of the USA you are no longer covered by our constitution,that's one reason I have no desire to see any more of the world
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You are taking your life in your hands by traveling to some places.
    That's why when I hear "American hikers in Iraq accidentally strayed across the Iran border", I think............yep, spies or idiots.

VIP Member
    interesting that they can find a speck of weed, but didn't find the BVD-IED........
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Once outside the borders of the USA you are no longer covered by our constitution,that's one reason I have no desire to see any more of the world
    YES, YES, YES! My sentiments exactly. I didn't think anyone else thought like me on this one.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Can we say, "profiling"?

You know, those nasty drug dealing Britions trying to get into Dubai and corrupt the morals of faithful Islamic people. The horror.

Glad that I live in the United States of America. No other place would suffice.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I read that nearly every 20 note has traces of cocaine on it; I think something similar was found on US bank notes too.
    How bad would you feel doing 2 to 4 years because they "found" coke on your green backs????

Think your right...Don't go there!!!!

On the other hand, part of me admires their zero tolerance policy, might clean the scum off our streets if the Police did the same

They also locked down on a couple for touching each other/having sex while not being married.

British couple arrested in Dubai over 'sex on the beach'
    Two Britons are facing possible jail sentences in Dubai after being caught having sex on a beach.
    By John Bingham and Laura Clout
    Published: 3:03PM BST 09 Jul 2008
    "...Friends claimed the couple have since gone through a hasty civil marriage ceremony to reduce any possible sentence they might face as sex outside of marriage is illegal in Dubai.

She is also said to be facing possible charges of indecent behaviour in public, being drunk in public, and assaulting a police officer."
    British couple arrested in Dubai over sex on the beach - Telegraph

When in foreign countries you've got to be aware of their rules and regs, kooky as they might be...to us.

Here in the US we do not support certain practices with animals for purposes of feeding their family and/or religious ceremony that visitors from other foreign countries deem normal and average as to their world experience.
    Same thing occurs including even felony (!) charges.

When in Rome know how and do as the Romans expect.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Some people have to travel to those places on business.
    Any time I'm out of the US, I feel like a stranger in a strange land.

Sounds like another good reason to keep my tourism dollars in my own country. Plenty of places to see here.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

WOW this poor guy could have stepped on that anywhere even in the airport

... who was found with a microscopic speck of cannabis stuck to the bottom of one of his shoes has been sentenced to four years in a Dubai prison.
    Any person could pick up this much simply by walking across a carpet that had been the trash can for a druggie that had earlier walked by.

Good example of the stupidity and hateful nature of "zero tolerance" policies, which can help a civilized society become barbaric one case at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Sounds like another good reason to keep my tourism dollars in my own country. Plenty of places to see here.

Hoss
    Yup. I've been traveling across the country for 25yrs and still haven't seen one-tenth of it. Each year, I find less reason to go outside the borders. Such inhuman treatment of people cements the view.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Feb 2008
    2 years ago?
    Did he get off, or is still in the lockup?

What I find amazing is that this seems to go directly against their plans to be a major European->Asian gateway airport.

Rastafarians aside, if you make the trip THAT potentially risky for your average traveller (example: coke on the greenbacks), you are negatively impacting your plans to be both a tourist destination and a major gateway. A bit short sighted, if you ask me.

-g

BTW, according to this URL, the german guy with Melatonin and the .003gram speck of what they claimed was cannabis was freed a month later...
    OpEdNews - Diary: Victory in Dubai - Cat Le-Huy Freed

Why the sudden turn-around? Normally, if something's dodgy in a drugs case, Dubai puts the accused on trial anyway, finds them guilty, sentences them to four years and then quietly deports them in the middle of the night after a few weeks or months. That way, they save face by looking merciful and benevolent by arranging an early release rather than looking stupid by admitting their overeagerness. In this case, I think it was the massive press attention and protest actions that may have tipped the balance. Dubai as a rule abhors bad publicity, and the louder it gets the more likely they are to try and sweep something under the rug as quietly - or at least as quickly - as possible.

But this was an amusing comment:
    The BBC went to Dubai to cover this story, and interviewed key officials in the case. The reporter and our attorney are saying that damage control is underway: many prisoners are about to be released, and they're promising reforms which could reduce these sorts of arrests happening to future travelers.

The article I'm quoting was written on March 3rd, 2008. It's nearly two years later, the same stuff is still happening. Why don't they just turn their detection machines down from "11"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links