Bad: woman kills herself at my local shooting range

This is a discussion on Bad: woman kills herself at my local shooting range within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Woman Shoots, Kills Self At New Albany Shooting Range | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News I wonder how long before the anti's turn this into a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad: woman kills herself at my local shooting range

Thumbs down Bad: woman kills herself at my local shooting range

Woman Shoots, Kills Self At New Albany Shooting Range | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News

I wonder how long before the anti's turn this into a "it was the guns fault" issue?

NEW ALBANY, Ohio — Sheriff's deputies were investigating an apparent accidental shooting at a shooting range, which left a woman dead, 10TV's Angela An reported Wednesday.

A 24-year-old woman was pronounced dead at the AimHi Shooting Range, 10299 Johnstown Road, shortly before 2 p.m., sheriff's deputies said.

Investigators said the woman died from a self-inflicted wound. The Franklin County Sheriff's Office was investigating.

Detectives said the woman was alone when she entered the shooting range. Surveillance video shows the woman turning the gun around and shooting herself, An reported.
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

2. Remove Ads

thats sad man. eventually they are going to claim shooting ranges are "depressing" and thats why she shot herself.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

heres a different news article on it... idk why but first one reports it as "apparent accidental shooting". it was clearly not an accident

http://www.thisweeknews.com/live/con...s&cat=&sid=104

Woman killed in shooting at shooting range
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 3:41 PM
    Updated: Thursday, January 14, 2010 12:01 PM

A woman died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound at the AimHi Shooting Range in New Albany around 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, the Franklin County Sheriff's Office said.

Chief Deputy Steve Martin said detectives at the scene told him around 2:15 p.m. that the shooting appeared to be a suicide.

"The initial investigation is that on the surface, it appears it is a suicide," he said. "The coroner makes a final determination on it, but all indications are that it was a suicide."

Martin said a final ruling on the cause of death would be made by the county coroner. A representative from the coroner's office said there likely would be no information until Thursday, Jan. 14.

Martin said Thursday that the woman was identified as Jacqueline Scott, 24.

Shooting range employees declined comment.

Sgt. Bill Duffer told The Columbus Dispatch that the woman watched a first-time shooters video then fired rounds with an instructor.

She was left alone and fired a few more rounds, he said. Then, according to video and witnesses, she pointed the 9mm handgun at her chest and pulled the trigger, The Dispatch reported.

The woman was pronounced dead at the range, 10299 Johnstown Road.
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Sad

If this keeps up they'll probably legislate NICS background checks along with a mental evaluation just to use the range's

Who want's to bet... If it was a rental?
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

I will agree it probably was a rental, and once the instructor left she fired off a few more "just incase" they were near by.

its my understanding that not only was it a rental, they required her to sit through a safety lecture since she was new to the range
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    ...eventually they are going to claim shooting ranges are "depressing" and thats why she shot herself.
    Seriously though, yep.

By the same 'math' that they use to state that persons who keep guns in their homes are more likely to die of a gun related injury, and how civilians who carry guns are more likely to be involved in gun related crime as outside the home.

Clearly BS but it's not like same hasn't been purported before by so called smart people as from the University/College of Fillintheblank.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Notice how the first report called it "accidental"...
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Well, at least she had enough courtesy to only shoot herself and not run through an office or school like the other nuts these days.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Well, at least she had enough courtesy to only shoot herself and not run through an office or school like the other nuts these days.
    ^^This^^

It is a terrible shame for the woman, her family and friends, but at least no other families have to grieve.

Hell she is my age, I dont understand how some people decide its the best possibility.

I feel bad for her Family, they probably wont know why she did it.

VIP Member
    I think this is the third such incident I've heard about in the last couple of years.

SAD.

Some folks are just going to do it and they will find a time, place, and way to get the job done.

VIP Member
    This woman was most likely no ‘nut’. We are all capable of committing suicide, and in the abstract, I believe many people have thought about it. NOT so much about doing it, but rather, how to imagine what issues in a person's life could invoke such a loss or personal travesty, that would cause a person to end a pain by any means.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

It was suicide.. Could have been any number of ways to kill one's self. This has nothing to do with range shooting and all to do with killing one's self.

If there were anything positive, at least she did not involve someone else...as we have seen reported on other gun ranges during the last year (2-3 incidents, if I recall correctly) that were murder-suicide.
    There is not much one can do to stop someone intent on such a plan. It is sad that someone would take such a permanent step for what can only be called a temporary problem.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links