Country's most violent city...again

This is a discussion on Country's most violent city...again within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by INSULATION T Welcome to Haitisomaliaamerica. Make sure that you celebrate "their" day tomorrow. Is tomorrow Quanza or something? Or is it time ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Country's most violent city...again

Quote Originally Posted by INSULATION T View Post
    Welcome to Haitisomaliaamerica.

Make sure that you celebrate "their" day tomorrow.
    Is tomorrow Quanza or something? Or is it time to run around the Kabbah stone?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by INSULATION T View Post
    Welcome to Haitisomaliaamerica.

Make sure that you celebrate "their" day tomorrow.
    Now, that seems a little pointed.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Any speculation as to why your city is a repeat winner of this distinction?
    I-75 makes it an important hub for many different criminal elements while other locations in MI are the destination. I'm not saying I think it is the only reason, just one that I think helps put it over the top vs other cities/

Feel bad jumping in to bad talk Saginaw (or for that matter, Flint). They are very dangerous. I think part of the problem is unike Detroit or Pontiac, the criminals keep moving in as scared citizens move out.

In other areas of MI, crime is down (in comparison) because there is just not enough business to support the criminal market at the same level.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    What happened to Chicago? I thought it had to be in the top ten at least.
    I believe it is a total vs ratio thought. Chicago I believe is #1 in gun violence (shots fired). However since so many people live there, the ratio is less.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I would have never guessed Saginaw. Detroit maybe. Possibly Washington,DC or place LA and Chicago in the mix somewhere near or at the top. Also, what about Miami?

Saginaw? Didn't see that one coming.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Saginaw is not a surprise to me. My parents live up in Midland and they canceled their paper subscription because the news everyday was about people getting shot. I guess that is what you get in a town where the mayor was recently convicted for committing arson on her own car for the insurance.

They should probaly just disarm the public, that always works.

Sarcasm intended.

Quote Originally Posted by ASHTXSNIPER View Post
    Wow I thought #1 was NOLA maybe that was for most murders per year.
    They were it for just one year, the year after Katrina.

Similarly people think same as toward Washington, dc (my hometown) which had that distinction as from the roughly '88 to '90 or '91. From there forward seemingly forever after people think/assume it's permanently the number one spot. It isn't and wasn't prior. The time period when it was tops is during the midst of the crack cocaine drug wars that had hit the entire nation and in DC the murder rate was largely reduced following the arrest of local drug king pin Rayful Edmunds and the break up of his criminal drug enterprise. Most of the murders were drug crime related against fellow drug criminals. an item folk who are not natives do not know muchless recall.
    Similar to the NoLA situation.

Much of the rest of this country has very serious crime problems.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Who outside of lower michigan has even heard of Saganaw? Being from Michigan, I ALWAYS thought Detroit was MUCH less safe than Saganaw. It must be the per-capita calc that drives the results.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bill View Post
    Who outside of lower michigan has even heard of Saganaw? Being from Michigan, I ALWAYS thought Detroit was MUCH less safe than Saganaw. It must be the per-capita calc that drives the results.
    I have.
    That's where for decades transmissions were manufactured.
    Any domestic car buff should immediately recognize 'Saginaw' as long with Detroit and Ford folk Cleveland (351C) as well.

Yes the numbers are and have always been based on the ration of crime per capita.

Raw crime numbers means nothing as related to any other region, which is how antis and foreigners try to compare the US to the rest of the world...by raw figures alone.
    You have to do the full math and divide crime numbers by persons within the area applicable. Texas is a much larger place per capita (without regard to land mass) than say DC, MD or NJ. Same for the US as compared to say AU or UK.
    But when the per capita math is done a more accurate and widely comparable view may be taken.

Here my current area Springfield, MA ranked in the top ten over the last three years beating DC even as it is a 1/3rd the size of DC in land mass and population.
    Problem is per capita these people here commit far more crimes per head/inhabitant than DC and most of the remainder of the US.

As I tell my wife, you always have to do the math...Because math is everywhere in everything. :p

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bill View Post
    Who outside of lower michigan has even heard of Saganaw?
    Not I.

One thing all these cities have in common is a long history of democratic rule. Even in the southern cities, democrats dominate the local city councils and executive offices. I fully realize correlation isn't causation, but one has to wonder if social and economic policies embraced by the left aren't massively contributing to the violent crime problem. Democrats want to help, but their programs invariably hurt the very people they intend to "save," and actually mire people in states of hopelessness and dependency.

Oh well...the lesson is obvious. If you want to be safe, go rural and conservative. Er, except for Appomattox, VA.

thank goodness Saginaw doesn't have the population of NYC. it would be a literal warzone.

this reminds me of the snippet antis use: "well, the UK banned guns, and they don't have nearly the amount of violent crime we do!"

yes, but only because they have less people. by ratio, violent crime in the UK is much worse than the US.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    thank goodness Saginaw doesn't have the population of NYC. it would be a literal warzone.

this reminds me of the snippet antis use: "well, the UK banned guns, and they don't have nearly the amount of violent crime we do!"

yes, but only because they have less people. by ratio, violent crime in the UK is much worse than the US.
    As Jang would say, "Do the Math", Amen to this Jahwarrior. People always forget to do the numbers.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links