Good, attempted home invasion/burglarly stopped.

This is a discussion on Good, attempted home invasion/burglarly stopped. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This was not too far from our place. This is why I stress to my wife to always be wary and always be ready. Homeowner ...

Thread: Good, attempted home invasion/burglarly stopped.

Good, attempted home invasion/burglarly stopped.

This was not too far from our place. This is why I stress to my wife to always be wary and always be ready.

Homeowner shoots suspected burglar attempting to kick in back door
    By Robin Pyle | AVALANCHE-JOURNAL
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010
    Story last updated at 1/19/2010 - 12:46 am

A Lubbock homeowner shot and seriously injured a suspected burglar who was trying to kick in his door Monday afternoon.

The homeowner called police shortly before 2:30 p.m. to report somebody was trying to gain entry into his house in the 3100 block of 45th Street, Lt. Neal Barron said.

He told police he first heard a knocking sound at his front door and then the sound of his back door being kicked in. The homeowner opened the back door, confronted the suspect in his backyard and shot him with a shotgun.

Police wouldn't release the homeowner's name, but neighbors said he is a Texas Tech graduate student.

Authorities didn't anticipate any charges against him.

"A person does have a right to defend his house," Barron said, noting Texas law allows homeowners to shoot people trying to burglarize their homes.

The "Castle Doctrine" expanded those rights Sept. 1, 2007, legally allowing residents to protect themselves and their property if somebody is forcibly and illegally breaking into their home, vehicle or place of employment or business.

Homeowners are not required to retreat before using deadly force.

Neighbor Phil Botik said he hopes the shooting will make criminals think twice before coming to his neighborhood.

"I'm glad he did it - send a message to those people," Botik said. "We're tired of it."

He said some of his neighbors have had their homes broken into during the daytime in the past month.

He also has witnessed potential burglars in his neighborhood - one walking on his front porch as if to scope out his home and others possibly checking out houses down the street.

Botik said he would do the same thing as his neighbor if a similar situation occurred.

Authorities were working to file charges against the burglary suspect, who was being treated at University Medical Center for serious injuries. They weren't believed to be life threatening.

Officers were working late Monday afternoon and into the evening to possibly connect the attempted break-in with others in the area. They believe several other suspects fled the scene after the shooting.

Police ask anyone who might have information about the burglars to call Crime Line at 741-1000. Callers may remain anonymous.

To comment on this story:

robin.pyle@lubbockonline.com l 766-8742

charles.reinken@lubbockonline.com l 766-8706

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Is it wrong for me to be upset he'll survive? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying execute every criminal we catch, but home invasion is a serious crime to me. What would have happened when the criminal found someone in the house? Grab a kitchen knife and "defend himself"? I guess I'm just tired of hearing stories of elderly people robbed/raped/murdered in their own homes... :( (Not saying the individual in this story was elderly...)

Musta been hit with 7.5 shot,a chest full of 00 and I don't think all the kings horses and all the kings men coulda put humpty dumpty together again
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You gotta' love Texas...and this guy's neighbors have the right attitude, too!

Do you think that this thug learned anything?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Dead offenders are not repeat offenders!!!

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You gotta' love Texas...and this guy's neighbors have the right attitude, too!
    I agree, I was glad to hear that his neighbor supported him. A few more storries like that and the criminals might start rethinking their line of work.
    Walk softly ...

Links