Poor and Bad: Madrid police chief called before council. (IA)

This is a discussion on Poor and Bad: Madrid police chief called before council. (IA) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported by KCCI (Des Moines): Video report - Madrid Police Chief Called Before Council - Video - KCCI Des Moines Final result as reported ...

As reported by KCCI (Des Moines):
    Video report - Madrid Police Chief Called Before Council - Video - KCCI Des Moines

Final result as reported at another site by a local living adjacent to this town.

1. He is on an unpaid suspension

2. During suspension he has to go take a firearms safety course.

3. He is basically on probation with the mayor and city council for the next several months.
    - Janq

Bottom Line:
    I have much to say about this but it can all be rounded in a nut shell to three points; This guy was well in the WRONG to multiple degrees, DO NOT DO THIS and he is lucky I am not mayor or a member of the town/city council as otherwise he would be suffering significantly.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Madrid is a really tiny place. When I lived near there I probably drove through many times without even realizing it.

I understand why some folks are upset and some of that stuff on the video is uh, pretty bad from a safety point of view and misuse of city equipment. OTOH, if the guy is fundamentally decent and doing a fair job, I'm for cutting him some slack. He looks like a young guy who can learn from this without ruining his career.

I can't quite understand my own feeling here, because I would be far more outraged if this happened with a big city person instead of Madrid. For some unfathomable reason, I find this oddly amusing. Maybe just because it is Madrid. (Not pronounced like the city in Spain.)

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Not the sharpest knife in the draw....
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

This guy certainly lacks the maturity to be a chief...a leader? He needs a few years to grow up a bit.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This guy certainly lacks the maturity to be a chief...a leader? He needs a few years to grow up a bit.
    My sentiments exactly
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    My sentiments exactly
    Ditto.

I don't care how small or remote this town might be.
    There is all manner of wrong done here, and the gun handling bit is just the candles on the cake...not even qualifying as icing.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

There is nothing about this which looks or seems professional.
    This is a man who has been called to lead others who can affect people's lives for the rest of their lives.

This is wrong. The COP is an idiot. He needs reprimanded, at least.
    He needs to grow up...fast.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Just plain old wow. I'm surprised I can still be surprised, but there you go.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member

Less than Mayberry

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Ditto.

I don't care how small or remote this town might be.
    There is all manner of wrong done here, and the gun handling bit is just the candles on the cake...not even qualifying as icing.

- Janq
    Of course, you are absolutely right. But, see this place is less than Mayberry. Andy and Barney will do nicely. Looks like they hired Barney on steroids.

On a lighter note that's where the Wild Hogs had there showdown with the outlaw biker gang.

Pretty poor professionalism for a police officer none the less chief of police.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I suspect it a case of: He is the only member of the Madrid police force; therefore he is the chief.

He better be careful, news articles like this can cause city councils to dispense with a city police force and arrange a contract for police services with the county sheriff.

Links