Very Bad: Manhunt on in killings of 8 in Virginia

This is a discussion on Very Bad: Manhunt on in killings of 8 in Virginia within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Manhunt on in killings of 8 in Virginia - CNN.com (CNN) -- Police are searching for a 39-year-old man in the shooting deaths of eight ...

Thread: Very Bad: Manhunt on in killings of 8 in Virginia

Very Bad: Manhunt on in killings of 8 in Virginia

Manhunt on in killings of 8 in Virginia - CNN.com

(CNN) -- Police are searching for a 39-year-old man in the shooting deaths of eight people in central Virginia, authorities said Tuesday evening.

Seven of the victims were killed in and around a home in Appomattox, about 75 miles southwest of Richmond, and the eighth was gunned down along a street, according to Tom Molinar of Virginia State Police.

The accused gunman was identified as Christopher Speight. Authorities think Speight was acting alone, Molinar said.

The motive for the shootings was not immediately known.

Police have established a perimeter around Appomattox, Molinar said, and think Speight remains within their search area. The manhunt includes police helicopters and K-9 units.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    been watching this on the local news all day - only about 35 mins from here.

I'm just waiting to see what set this sick killer off
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I saw this last evening. If you are willing to shoot at a LE helo then you don't have much to lose.

I imagine they will either find him dead or it will be one heck of a gunfight when the do encounter him.

There were 3 people killed not too far from Appomattox in the town of Farmville not too long ago.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

Suspect in custody.

Glad they took him alive. We have the death penalty in The Commonwealth of Virginia and aren't afraid to use it.

Now hopefully these killings will satisfy all of the criteria to be charged as Capital Murder.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

Quote Originally Posted by NosaMSirhC View Post
    Suspect in custody.

Glad they took him alive. We have the death penalty in The Commonwealth of Virginia and aren't afraid to use it.

Now hopefully these killings will satisfy all of the criteria to be charged as Capital Murder.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    Fox News said he surrendered to Police.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Suspect in custody.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    eh...yeah, but bullets are cheaper than a drawn out trial...I think I would have preferred he go suicide by cop route or something.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

If a man that killed 8 people committed "suicide by cop" I think that denies justice to the victims families.

I'm glad he's still alive either way, hopefully justice will be served.

Be Safe,

NosaM

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Alive might be good to get some answers, but definitly will cost more. How about giving him the same treatment as his victims and letting him do it himself to save us the trouble. Definitly good that he's off the streets though.

Can't help but wonder what type of gun he had and if it was "registered" or purchased/owned legally or not. If it was a scary looking rifle, that's probably what caused him to go on a rampage. You all know how those guns cause people to go crazy.
    Walk softly ...

If a man that killed 8 people committed "suicide by cop" I think that denies justice to the victims families.

I'm glad he's still alive either way, hopefully justice will be served.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    I don't care about justice. I care that he no longer has the ability to complete the same actions or worse again and hopefully at little expense to everyone involved.

I'm fairly young and even I've figured out that there's no such thing as this kind of "justice". Justice is what everyone clamors for in these kinds of incidents, but when they finally have their justice, they still feel completely empty. It doesn't fix anything. I just want him 6' under so he can't do it again.

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Of course it had to go here:

"This is a horrific tragedy," Geller said at a news conference Wednesday. "It's definitely one of the worst mass killings in Virginia, probably since the Virginia Tech tragedy in April of 2007."

Appomattox County court records show a concealed weapons permit was issued to a Christopher Bryan Speight three times between 1999 and last year. The issue dates match the five-year renewal period for concealed handgun permits under Virginia law.

Authorities earlier said Speight had a high-powered rifle and Staples said investigators believe he had weapons training based on the weapons found in his home, though they have no information to indicate he was in the military.
    Suspect in 8 Va. deaths may have left explosives - Yahoo! News
    "...for all who draw the sword will die by the sword." Matthew 26:52

Quote Originally Posted by Guvn3r View Post
    ugh...I can hear the anti's now...mandatory proctology report to be able to take any sort of training courses...

-The Mist (2007)

VIP Member

BAD Update -- re:CHP

UPDATE: Police check for explosives after arrest | Richmond Times-Dispatch

UPDATE: Police check for explosives after arrest

By BILL McKELWAY AND REED WILLIAMS
    Published: January 19, 2010
    Updated: January 20, 2010

APPOMATTOX — Bomb squad members today combed the home and surrounding property of a man suspected of killing eight people and attempting to shoot down a Virginia State Police helicopter before surrendering without incident early this morning.

Christopher B. Speight, 39, “managed to conceal himself overnight in the wooded area” guarded by officers before surrendering at 7:10 a.m., said Appomattox Sheriff O. Wilson Staples. He was unarmed, though authorities said they believed he used a high-powered rifle, and was wearing a bulletproof vest.

With the capture made, crime scene technicians, bomb squad members and SWAT officers combed the log cabin-style home on Snapps Mill Road/state Route 703 and a large area surrounding the dwelling.

Staples and Corinne Geller, a State Police spokeswoman, said that based on the initial investigation by authorities, police have “reason to believe” there could be explosives in the house or outside.

Speight was an owner of the residence and a large amount of surrounding land, Geller said.

A mass casualty unit from the state Medical Examiner’s Office in Roanoke has been assigned to the case, Wilson said.

“This is probably the worst tragedy in Virginia since the Virginia Tech massacre,“ said Geller.

Police repeated that Speight was acquainted with the victims but declined to specify their relationships, citing the ongoing investigation. Geller also said that positive identifications of the victims had not been made. Police have said the victims were males and females. A member of the county Board of Supervisors said last night the victims included Speight’s wife, son and another teenage boy, but two acquaintances said Speight was not married and had no children.

“Speight’s motives are still under investigation,“ Staples said. “Charges are pending.“

But in interviews with the Lynchburg News & Advance and the Richmond Times-Dispatch, a co-owner of a Lynchburg market where Speight occasionally worked as a security guard described him as recently troubled over a dispute involving his home and land, which he inherited along with his sister from his mother. Connie Anderson said Speight had a married sister who at some point had moved into the house with him.

“Chris felt like they were trying to get him out of the house, and it was his (house), too,“ said Anderson, the co-owner of Sunshine Market, where Speight, employed by Old Dominion Security, was described by an employee as a good security officer who seemed to have changed after leaving for about five months following the death of his mother in 2006.

“He seemed like a zombie when he came back to the job,“ Tonya Maddox, a cashier, told the Times-Dispatch. “My boss was joking around. He said, ‘He’ll probably kill us all,‘“ Maddox said.

Anderson told the Lynchburg newspaper that Speight was a veteran of the military, a gun collector and “very skilled with weapons.“ Anderson said she has known Speight about five years and that she and her husband, David, both have concealed weapons permits and have been to Speight’s home in Appomattox for target practice.

“It’s very sad that it happened, I’m just shocked,“ she said. “I didn’t believe it at first. I didn’t want to believe it.“

Anderson said Speight talked to her husband Saturday night about an apparent family dispute involving the home.

Speight has had a concealed weapons permit issued in Appomattox County since 1999, according to court records. His most recent application for the permit was filed Jan 6, 2009, and “seen and agreed to” by Appomattox County Commonwealth’s Attorney Darrel W. Puckett and approved by a Circuit Court judge. On the permit, Speight answered no to questions asking if he had ever been convicted of a felony or committed for mental illness. Accompanying documentation for the permit showed he had received firearms “retraining” in June 2003 from the Liberty University Police Department.

A check of area court records showed no offenses other than traffic violations.
    The Associated Press reported that Speight’s uncle, Jack Giglio of Tampa, Fla., said his nephew was a deer hunter, though as far as he knew Speight did not have any specialized weapons training.

“We’re shocked, of course,“ Giglio told the AP. “I’m not aware of any problems with him. It’s kind of out of the blue. We’re still trying to pick up facts too.“

Giglio said he hadn’t seen Speight since 2006, when they both attended the funeral for Speight’s mother, who died of brain cancer.

The announcement of Speight’s surrender was made by Staples, who smiled broadly as he stepped up to a microphone at a quickly arranged news conference at 7:25 outside a State Police command post.

Authorities said that even with the capture, schools would remain closed for the day as previously announced by the sheriff, “out of an abundance of caution.“ About 2,000 students are enrolled in the public schools. Also closed was Cornerstone Christian Academy, which is nearby the crime scene.

Police last night established a search perimeter that ran two miles east-west and about 1,000 yards north-south between Snapps Mill Road and state Route 613/Police Tower Road and said they were confident that Speight was in the area, which is where the shots on the helicopter originated. At at 5 a.m. news conference today, police repeated that they believed Speight was within the perimeter.

After the capture, the focus turned to the crime scene, a log cabin-style home with children’s toys in the yard. About 100 law officers, many in camouflage and body armor, were searching the home and yard.

One victim was found in the the road yesterday, four bodies were outside the residence and three were inside, Geller said. Police said the victim found injured on Snapps Mill died at Lynchburg General Hospital.

About noon Tuesday, Appomattox County emergency dispatchers received a call about a man lying in Snapps Mill Road who needed medical attention. When police arrived, they heard more gunshots, which sparked calls for assistance from neighboring counties. About an hour and a half later, a State Police helicopter sustained four shots, including at least once in a fuel line, forcing it to land. There were no injuries.

(Media General News Service contributed to this report.)
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Shootings by CHL holder, thus take away CHL's from everyone??

An so it begins. Since this murderous putz had a CHL, the howls for tightening of the "lax" carry laws will only get louder.

Virginia Mass Shooting Most-Recent by Concealed Handgun Permit Holder:

Virginia Mass Shooting Most Recent by Concealed Handgun Permit Holder

Christopher Bryan Speight, the 39-year-old man who allegedly shot and killed eight men and women yesterday in Appomattox, Virginia, is at least the 12th person licensed to carry a concealed handgun reported to have committed a mass shooting since May 2007.

According to the Associated Press, Appomattox County court records show a concealed weapons permit was issued to a Christopher Bryan Speight three times between 1999 and last year.

The 11 prior mass shootings are detailed on the VPC's web site, Concealed Carry Killers, an on-line resource, updated monthly, that tallies from news reports killings by concealed handgun permit holders. Not including yesterday's shooting, Concealed Carry Killers reports that since May 2007 concealed handgun permit holders have killed at least 117 people, including nine law enforcement officers.

Prior to yesterday's shooting, concealed handgun permit holders had claimed 43 innocent lives in 11 mass shootings since May 2007 (in addition, in six of the incidents, the shooter killed himself). Yesterday's shooting brings the total number of innocent victims reportedly killed by concealed handgun permit holders in mass shootings during this period to 51.

Yesterday's attack is, in fact, the second mass shooting in Virginia by a concealed carry permit holder in less than two years. In May 2008, concealed handgun permit holder Aaron Poseidon Jackson, 24, shot and killed his two children, one-year-old Aaron Neptune Jackson and two-year-old Nicole Aaron Jackson, and their mother Latasha Nicole Thomas, before taking his own life. Jackson was wearing body armor and was surrounded by guns and ammunition when police found him dead in their home in the Walt Lou Trailer Park in Falmouth, Virginia. Christopher Bryan Speight was also wearing body armor when he surrendered to police.

Two mass shootings in two years. Perhaps someone should ask Governor Bob McDonnell whether it's time to reconsider Virginia's lax concealed weapons law.

Two mass shootings in two years, in Virginia. Hm. Out of hundreds of crimes thwarted by people with the means to defend themselves, as well as the lower number of crimes simply because people are armed. That's not statistically relevant, terrible as the death of innocents is. And yet, taking away the effective ability of all people to defend themselves seemingly is the only real "solution" that occurs to such people as the writer of this article.

Criminals are adept at acquiring the means to commit crime, whether that be money, resources, tools, weapons or whatever. This author is suggesting that, somehow, having a CHL license to carry firearms created the murderous instinct in this particular criminal, and that having a CHL is the only way in which this criminal could have become armed with the ability to kill. Balderdash. If countless hundreds of inane and pointless gun-related laws have shown us anything, it's that yet one more such law won't do much either. At the end of the day, criminals will continue to ignore such laws.

What is utter lunacy to me is how anyone with a functioning mind can believe that disarmament of innocents is going to aid people in the stopping of crime. The ONLY thing that such disarmament of citizens will do is to pave the way for crime to occur without any practical restriction at all. The ONLY thing it will do is to ensure that criminals won't find anyone able to resist, then next crime they commit.

So, one criminal cloaked himself successfully enough to pass muster on a CHL application. Tough toenails. One got through. So, we tighten the screws on criminals, when they're caught. It's not as if this idiot would have failed to acquire firearms via some other method. And it's not as though a criminal who hasn't yet committed a crime can be found out in advance, each and every time he's examined. But, whatever else is true, taking the means of defense from all citizens is hardly justified, simply because a few murderers, rapists and robbers are undetected by the CHL system. Nobody tosses the baby out the window with the soiled bath water. Nobody but people in barbaric societies do that.

The main question that comes to mind is this: If everyone were armed, that day, how few people would have actually been victimized by this murderer, given how quickly he could have been taken out?

Knee-jerk, reactionary steps are NOT needed. What is really needed is a sane and long-term approach to ensuring that (a) citizens have the ability to defend and (b) criminals have nowhere else to turn. What is needed is the following:

• Continued vigilance by law enforcement, judicial and legislative personnel to ensure that such people are removed from our streets when caught, and that they are kept from our streets.

• Continued vigilance by people who are capable of defending against crime, given how simple it is for a motivated criminal to execute a crime of violence amongst us. Being disarmed and distrusted by those we elect to represent us, however, won't do a damned thing in this regard. Rather, it'll harm everyone's ability to remain vigilant and capable of defending.

• Continued increase in the number of armed, trained citizens who own and carry firearms, which is the single-most effective means of defense against crime. Imagine how briefly murderers would live amongst us if they were taken out immediately by upstanding people around them. Can't be defending against crime when you have no means to do so.

• Continued adjustment of the statutes to ensure upstanding citizens are supported and protected in their attempts to defend against crime, to ensure there is a presumption of innocence in self-defense cases, to ensure people have every right to defend against crime whenever or wherever it occurs, and to ensure our temporarily-elected representative do NOT have the ability to disarm us when the mood suits them.

Anything else will simply reduce the ability of people to defend, and will only serve to help criminals achieve their violent and deadly goals.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Out of 117 people killed by permit holders,how many were legit Self Defense shootings?
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links