San Antonio MLK Day shooting

This is a discussion on San Antonio MLK Day shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Boy, 14, Shoots Three at Texas MLK, Jr. Event A 14-year-old boy shot into a crowd of people near an event celebrating Dr. Martin Luther ...

Thread: San Antonio MLK Day shooting

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

San Antonio MLK Day shooting

Boy, 14, Shoots Three at Texas MLK, Jr. Event

A 14-year-old boy shot into a crowd of people near an event celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s legacy, wounding three people, police said.

A 21-year-old woman, an 18-year-old woman and a 13-year-old boy were injured in the shooting, San Antonio Police Chief William McManus said. Their injuries were not considered to be life-threatening.

The boy was arrested and faces three counts of aggrevated assault with a deadly weapon, McManus said. It's unclear if prosecutors will charge the teen as an adult.

"Those victims were not the intended targets," McManus said. "They just ended up being in the wrong place at the wrong time."

McManus said the shooting was the result of an altercation between rival gangs that had gathered at a Church's Chicken parking lot at the intersection of Nevada and South New Braunfels. Witnesses told investigators gang members were flashing signs at each other shortly before a scuffle broke out.

The shooting happened about 100 feet away from where a group of officers was standing, McManus said. The officers quickly arrested the teen, who was armed with a .45 caliber handgun, McManus said.

"It happened so fast," said Kendra Franklin, who was standing inside the Church's when the shots were fired. "You just saw a big crowd, and then they all just took off running."

Despite having a large police presence that included several dozen police officers made up of members of the SWAT team, Tactical Response and Gang Units, McManus said it's difficult to prevent such a random act of violence.

"They were in this area, in particular, because of the trend of young people coming this way after the event is over," McManus said. "This was just a bad day."

The shooting stood in stark contrast to the message of peace and non-violence preached by the slain civil rights leader, whose legacy was being celebrated with a huge march. Those who participated in the day's events, including McManus, were appalled that the day's message of peace and equality was eclipsed by violence.

"Disrespectful is probably too light of a term," McManus said. "It just disrespects what this day is all about."

Annie Brooks, an aunt of one of the shooting victims, may have summed up the day's events best.

"This is not the purpose of the Martin Luther King March," she said. "Martin Luther King stood up for us to come together. If that's the kind of problems you want to have, you don't need to be here. There's no sense in that."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Try him as an adult, I say. Too much leniency for these killer kids. There's no rehabilitating this kind of behavior.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

It's time we put a stop to Church's Fried Chicken.

I am glad Dr. King is not here to see how the youth of today are throwing away all of his hard work and personal risk. In my platoon of at risk youth only 4 kids out of 37 knew what holiday monday was.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Try him as an adult, sentence him as an adult...they would in FL...
    No one was killed, but the time away from society should be lengthy...the purpose of jail is not to rehabilitate, but to protect society.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    It's time we put a stop to Church's Fried Chicken.
    You don't hear about this sort of thing at the Colonel's establishment...

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    The thing that should worry a lot of folks is that he did this with a group of cops standing close by, no fear, no worry, no problem in his eyes. Send him away.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    LEOs in sight, hit 3 differant people, and a gangbanger....say hello to adult treatment.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Stupid, historically illiterate, moronic, self-serving cretins.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    You don't hear about this sort of thing at the Colonel's establishment...
    That's because the Colonel is a class act. :)

VIP Member
    Among other things, find out who gave/sold him the gun. Find out if the person who owned it even knew it was missing. Arrest and prosecute anyone who had any criminal responsibility for the idiot-kid's possession of the gun.

Another great example of why and how gun control and "illegal possession" laws are of only marginal benefit. The BGs, especially the underage, somehow have no more problem getting guns than they do getting weed. They lack any sense of self-control, and are capable of anything. Sad. Absolutely sad and disgusting.

P.S. I don't know why someone thought it was necessary to bring fried chicken (and the racial overtones implicit in the comment) into this discussion. Inappropriate!!!!!

This just proves that hundreds of "laws" will still not stem the tide of crime, only the enforcement and punishment can.

I doubt seriously that Dr. King would have approved of the Gangsta mentality of some people. It's a sad way to celebrate his legacy.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Try him as an adult along with all his little homies.

Links