Shots fired at Texas State Capitol

This is a discussion on Shots fired at Texas State Capitol within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just heard about this and thought I'd share with the group. It appears that some guy was shooting on the steps of the Texas ...

Thread: Shots fired at Texas State Capitol

Shots fired at Texas State Capitol

I just heard about this and thought I'd share with the group. It appears that some guy was shooting on the steps of the Texas State Capitol today. DPS acted quickly, and no one was hurt. For more info, check out Shots Fired at Texas State Capitol | MyFoxHouston.com

2. Remove Ads

any description of the perp? Someone mentioned this at work today and I forgot about it till now. Thanks.

got it "24-year old Fausto Cardenas of Houston "

http://www.kvue.com/news/Capitol-Shooting-82319527.html

http://guanabee.com/2010/01/fausto-cardenas-pictures/

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/news/...y1264104551718
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

I no longer live in Texas... some one refresh my memory, is concealed carry allowed at the state capital in Texas? I know CCW wasn't in involved...just curious.

VIP Member
    yes it is legal
    its not listed as a prohibited place
    can't post 30.06 signs because of SB 501

however, there are some anti-gun legislators already saying this was almost a tragedy and they say (and I quote) "Weapons have no place in the building, just as they have no place in schools and courthouses."

we all know that the current laws in all the states have stopped the criminals from shootings in these places....right?

I knew I'd be able to find an editorial, news article/story on this, and have an anti-gun slant to it.....from Austin
    here it is with my editorial comments in brackets:

It's time for metal detectors at the Texas Capitol
    It's time for metal detectors at the Texas Capitol
    EDITORIAL BOARD
    It's time for a painful realization, one we fear is painfully overdue.

It's time to acknowledge the dangerous world in which we live, complete with the dangerous combination of too many guns in the hands of too many people who perceive too many motives to inflict harm on others.

It's time, sad to say, to require visitors to the Texas Capitol to pass through metal detectors. It became clear last Thursday when a man let loose with at least five gunshots after he exited the Capitol after a peculiar encounter with staffers in Houston Sen. Dan Patrick's office.

Fausto Cardenas is jailed on third-degree felony charges stemming from the unsettling incident in which nobody was hurt.

"Today, we got a warning shot — literally," Patrick, R-Houston, and a champion of gun owners' rights, said on the day of the shooting. "This could have been a tragedy."

For a long time, one of the best things about Austin has been the ability to walk into the Capitol and wander around in a relatively relaxed atmosphere in which the Department of Public Safety did as good a job as it could of non-invasive security. But the truth is there has been nothing to stop an armed nut — or a constituent with a grievance — from walking in and opening fire.

[wrong, its not the truth, I guess the armed DPS troopers, CHL licensees, and legislators with their own guns are left out of teh equation.....duh]

Under current law, it is legal for somebody with a concealed handgun license to enter the Capitol with a weapon. That's the first thing that should change, even though lawmakers who carry weapons have opposed the change.

Rep. Eddie Rodriguez, D-Austin, says he is considering legislation to ban guns from the Capitol. We urge him to move aggressively toward legislation accomplishing that. Weapons have no place in the building, just as they have no place in schools and courthouses.

[yeah.....we know all the laws in states all over the country have stopped criminals from bringing harm on people]

But that change is just a first step. Criminals, by definition, have little respect for law.

[so you just contradicted yourself saying this after you quoted Mr. Rodriguez, if they have little respect for the law, why pass another law saying no guns in the capitol]

And that's why it's time for metal detectors at the Capitol. It's cumbersome and it's an inconvenience, but it's necessary, despite what Gov. Rick Perry thinks.

"I'm always looking at new ways to protect our citizens, but the last thing I want is the Texas Capitol to turn into DFW Airport," Perry said a day after the shootings.

Coincidentally, or not, Perry's comments came as he accepted the endorsement of the Texas State Rifle Association and the National Rifle Association.

Particularly distressing was Perry's theory on why metal detectors are not needed: "In Texas, criminals have to think twice before they draw a gun because there's a good chance they're going to be outnumbered. The fact of the matter is that keeps us all safer," he said.

Perry seems to take great solace in his belief that the state's concealed handgun law is a crime deterrent because criminals realize there is "a good chance that they're gong to be outdrawn" by law-abiding citizens with pistols.

It can be sad when a state lives up (down?) to its stereotype.

On this one, we're going to go with the ounce of prevention theory, fully realizing that many might see metal detectors as a good bit heavier than an ounce.

We don't want to place metal detectors at Capitol entrances. But we feel we have to. We owe it to ourselves and, especially, to the state employees who work for us in the Capitol.

Without getting into an argument about the relative merits of the state's concealed handgun law, let's just say we're not comfortable with Perry's reliance on pistol-packing citizens to protect us from harm. Undoubtedly, there are instances in which a cool-headed citizen with a gun can prevent criminal harm.

But, and we're guessing many law enforcement officials might agree with us on this, that's no way to handle public safety. It's a task best left to professionals, because amateurs with guns — well-trained and well-intentioned though they may be — often act like amateurs with guns.

[YOU GUESSED WRONG.....COUNT ME AS ONE OF THE HUGE MAJORITY OF LEOs I KNOW/WORK WITH THAT WILL FLAT OUT DISAGREE WITH YOU, THIS EDITORIAL, THIS PARAGRAPH, AND THE ANTI-GUN LAWS.....DESPITE WHAT THE MEDIA SAYS WHEN IT QUOTES LEO ORGANIZATIONS]

We're not happy about it and wish it didn't have to be this way, but it is time — past time — for visitors to the Capitol to endure the inconvenience of passing through metal detectors as they enter the building.

here's my editorial:
    its time, past time for the antis to think logically about what the topic is instead of reacting emotionally with their mouths/speech
    this guy says criminals don't follow laws so lets pass another anti-gun law but since they won't follow it anyway it will only punish CHL owners who would be able to stop these threats, but you want to hamper that effort,
    and lets put up metal detectors, we all know there are no weapons that can be passed through them
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    here's my editorial:
    its time, past time for the antis to think logically about what the topic is instead of reacting emotionally with their mouths/speech
    this guy says criminals don't follow laws so lets pass another anti-gun law but since they won't follow it anyway it will only punish CHL owners who would be able to stop these threats, but you want to hamper that effort,
    and lets put up metal detectors, we all know there are no weapons that can be passed through them
    And just to add to your point about thinking logically....

How exactly were metal detectors going to prevent this incident considering it happened on the steps. I suppose it really doesn't matter to the anti's

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swbkb8 View Post

How exactly were metal detectors going to prevent this incident considering it happened on the steps. I suppose it really doesn't matter to the anti's
    exactly
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Quote Originally Posted by swbkb8 View Post

The guy was inside the Capitol building visiting an aid of one of the congressmen. He came out and then started shooting. The outcry was because he could have started the shooting inside. The congressman's office he had visited was Dan Patrick. He is a pro-gun legislator and a CHL holder himself.

Ban the Lady in White.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJVP View Post
    The guy was inside the Capitol building visiting an aid of one of the congressmen. He came out and then started shooting. The outcry was because he could have started the shooting inside. The congressman's office he had visited was Dan Patrick. He is a pro-gun legislator and a CHL holder himself.
    we got it JJVP, we (at least I) was being a little sarcastic and venting frustration at the antis
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Links