Two New Yorkers Free After 'Drugs' Turn Out to be Candy

Two New Yorkers Free After 'Drugs' Turn Out to be Candy

This is a discussion on Two New Yorkers Free After 'Drugs' Turn Out to be Candy within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Two New Yorkers Free After 'Drugs' Turn Out to be Candy - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    VIP Member Array miklcolt45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    @ Wits' End
    Posts
    2,811

    Two New Yorkers Free After 'Drugs' Turn Out to be Candy

    Two New Yorkers Free After 'Drugs' Turn Out to be Candy - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

    Two New Yorkers Free After 'Drugs' Turn Out to be Candy

    Saturday, January 23, 2010

    Two New York men were locked up and left in a jail cell for nearly a week after police officers mistook their candy for a bag of crack.

    The "drugs" were finally tested five days later and determined to be popular Coco (coconut) Candy. The charges were dropped.

    The trouble began the night of Jan. 15, as Josť Pena, a 48-year-old plumber from the Bronx, N.Y., and his longtime pal and colleague Cesar Rodriguez, 33, were headed to a party, and decided to stop at a bodega on 181st Street and the Grand Concourse.

    When they came out, cops were waiting and asked to search their Ford minivan. "I said ĎGo search.í I even opened the door," Rodriguez told The Post.

    An officer rummaged around, came out holding a "Hello Kitty" sandwich bag, and shouted "Bingo!" the men said.

    "Itís only candy!" Rodriguez said, as the cops handcuffed him and Pena, and several other police cars rushed to the scene.

    Rodriguez said he buys a 50-cent bag of Coco Candy, a hard coconut-based treat, almost every day. Because it easily crumbles, he puts it in a sandwich bag.

    "Can you test it? Can you taste it?" Rodriguez asked the cops. "Shut up!" they replied.

    "I didnít know having candy was a crime," he said.

    The menís lawyer, Neal Wallerstein, said the cops could have realized their mistake quickly.

    "Thatís the reason why they have a field-test kit," he said, referring to the NYPDís portable drug identification equipment.

    But Wallerstein said cops just needed their noses.

    "It smells like sugar," he said.
    Officer: Can I have permission to search your car?
    You: Of course.

    I cannot help but think of Dawn Wells (Mary Ann) who was arrested after a friend left marijuana in her car. She was stopped, allowed them to search because she knew she had done nothing wrong, and was then arrested when the weed was found.

    Would YOU give permission for LE to search your vehicle ever?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein


  2. #2
    Member Array reyno2ac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oak Park, MI
    Posts
    481
    I've been asked before and have always declined. They have no reason to search my car and I don't want them rummaging through my things.

  3. #3
    VIP Member
    Array ccman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    2,036
    Thats good work right there, NOT

  4. #4
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,663
    These guys were lucky-- at least it was their own stuff and candy, and not planted stuff palmed as the officer reached in to search.

    Shame on NYPD, but they have been pathetic all of my life. There is something wrong with the culture and the leadership that just goes unchanged year after year after year; no matter how many expose documentaries and bad news news stories make the headlines.

  5. #5
    Member Array socal2310's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, CA
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    These guys were lucky-- at least it was their own stuff and candy, and not planted stuff palmed as the officer reached in to search.

    Shame on NYPD, but they have been pathetic all of my life. There is something wrong with the culture and the leadership that just goes unchanged year after year after year; no matter how many expose documentaries and bad news news stories make the headlines.
    It's like that with a lot (most?) big city police agencies. There are so many police officers, that its possible for your circle of friends to consist only of other law enforcement officers. Pretty soon, the only people you know who aren't cops or "upstanding citizens" are criminals and until you can definitively place the person you are dealing with into one of those categories, they get tossed in with option number three.

    That's one of the reasons they stressed having non LE friends when I went through the Reserve Academy here.

    Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

  6. #6
    Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    1,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Shame on NYPD, but they have been pathetic all of my life. There is something wrong with the culture and the leadership
    I don't agree. Although they are far from perfect, I saw them to do fine work.

    I recently lived in NYC for 4 years.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

  7. #7
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    21,563
    Allowing the search of the vehicle was dumb on their part. I have a feeling though, that they will be very well compensated for their week in jail on candy possession charges!

  8. #8
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    21,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Shame on NYPD, but they have been pathetic all of my life. There is something wrong with the culture and the leadership that just goes unchanged year after year after year; no matter how many expose documentaries and bad news news stories make the headlines.
    You think the NYPD is bad, they're saints compared to Chicago's finest.

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    44,783
    I would NOT give anyone permission to search my car. "Am I under arrest officer, am I free to go?"...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array chiefjason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Posts
    2,782
    No consent, ever. If they have a reason to search, they will. Regardless of what you say. If they are asking permission, they do not have a reason to search. They just want you to give up your rights so they can fish.

    Can anyone say profiling?

  11. #11
    Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    1,644
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    I don't agree. Although they are far from perfect, I saw them to do fine work.

    I recently lived in NYC for 4 years.
    A new video just surfaced, some of them certainly aren't saints:

    LiveLeak.com - Caught On Tape: NYPD Beating Video
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

  12. #12
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,663

    re: nutz4utwo

    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    I don't agree. Although they are far from perfect, I saw them to do fine work.

    I recently lived in NYC for 4 years.
    FWIW I lived there the first 24 years of my life; my parents continued to live there for another 20 years in dad's case and 30 years in mom's. Visited with some regularity. Follow the news stories.

    I have personal reasons for how I feel about it based on real life incidents I've witnessed involving others, and a couple involving myself or family members.

    I'm sure there are find individuals in there, and the city is a tough place to police and I don't dispute that, but stuff like the incident in this thread seems to happen with alarming regularity.

    The NYPD should have been cleaned up thoroughly once and for all 30-40 years ago after the movie Serpico brought the garbage to light. Instead the city got a mayor who let it be known that anything goes and a police chief who I think is now still in jail. Great leadership.

  13. #13
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27,028
    The "drugs" were finally tested five days later and determined to be popular Coco (coconut) Candy. The charges were dropped.
    Five days in jail, while failure to bring legitimate and supported charges is all that was done?

    Mere suspicions. "Alarming regularity," indeed. Happens on occasion out here, as well. The mere fact the claim is made is often taken to be enough. You're accused? You're a criminal, then. Proof be damned.

    It was never intended to be this way.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  14. #14
    VIP Member Array Guns and more's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    2,391
    My friend was arrested on suspicion of DUI the day he got out of the hospital with broken ribs and vertebrae. He failed the field sobrity test because he couldn't walk well. They thew him in the jail for three days until his blood alcohol came back 0.00.
    Then they dropped the charge. No,"I'm sorry."

    I see posts about "Would you help a LEO in trouble?" I'll bet he wouldn't.
    Nothing happens in a vacuum. There are consequences, even for police.

  15. #15
    Member Array REDTAIL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NY STATE
    Posts
    403
    The good ole NYPD some of them cant find their butt's with both hands NY finest right, "candy is dandy but sex doesen't rot your teeth "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Attention New Yorkers: Need some help
    By sixsccw in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 1st, 2010, 01:00 PM
  2. New Yorkers, Blueprint for Change Conference
    By rojo in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 28th, 2010, 06:41 PM
  3. New Yorkers, Blueprint for Change Conference
    By rojo in forum Member Meeting Place
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 25th, 2010, 01:19 AM
  4. How many New Yorkers do we have?
    By hudsonvalley in forum Member Meeting Place
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: March 21st, 2009, 01:45 PM
  5. New Yorkers FYI!
    By mrreynolds in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 16th, 2008, 12:35 PM

Search tags for this page

drugs turn out to be candy

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors