Good : 40 Year Sentence for Shooting

This is a discussion on Good : 40 Year Sentence for Shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Forty years really doesn't seem long enough, however, he is at least getting prison time. Man gets 40 years for '07 shooting - The Herald ...

Thread: Good : 40 Year Sentence for Shooting

Thumbs up Good : 40 Year Sentence for Shooting

Forty years really doesn't seem long enough, however, he is at least getting prison time.

Man gets 40 years for '07 shooting - The Herald Dispatch

Man gets 40 years for '07 shooting

CURTIS JOHNSON

The Herald-Dispatch

HUNTINGTON, WV -- Wilbert Shaver received a 40-year prison sentence Friday for his role in a September 2007 robbery and shooting that injured a woman in the 2000 block of 11th Avenue.

The victim, Sparkle Wade, and Cabell County Prosecutor Chris Chiles praised the punishment.

Wade addressed the court prior to Circuit Judge Dan O'Hanlon announcing his decision. She urged for the maximum penalty and a chance to move on. She described herself as still having mental issues and needing physical therapy after receiving multiple gunshot wounds.

"My life is up in the air right now," she said. "I can't really start my life until this process is over, and he keeps on prolonging it. ... He needs to go to jail, and to lay it down. He committed a very vicious crime against me."

The shooting took place inside of 2012 11th Ave. Shaver broke into the residence to steal money stashed inside. He and Wade met inside the house. Shaver forcibly overtook his victim, demanded the money and shot her twice with a .45 caliber weapon, according to Chiles and court documents.

Chiles said Wade revealed where the money was located, and Shaver fled. Wade went to a neighboring house for help, but collapsed in the neighbor's doorway.

"This is a crime that is very difficult for me to accept in our town," O'Hanlon said.

O'Hanlon pronounced the punishment after denying three defense motions that sought post-conviction home confinement, a withdrawal of Shaver's guilty plea and a delay in sentencing. The judge blamed Shaver as he denied each request.

Defense attorney Tim Rosinsky filed the motions after Shaver's holiday plans fell through. The December 2009 plea agreement, which led to convictions for malicious wounding and first-degree robbery, also included a clause allowing Shaver to spend the holiday season with family prior to sentencing. That privilege fell apart when the family member, at whose house Shaver would serve home confinement, decided the convicted-shooter was not welcome at his home.

O'Hanlon said the family agreement was struck by Shaver, so therefore the court had no obligation to approve another residence or set aside the guilty plea. He cited Shaver's refusal to cooperate with probation officers in pushing ahead with sentencing.

The December plea agreement included a sentencing range of 30 to 40 years. O'Hanlon believed that saved Shaver from spending a much longer sentence.

Rosinsky argued for the lower end, reminding O'Hanlon that just this month the judge ordered a 30-year sentence for murder. Chiles said the two punishments were as different as apples and oranges.

Police initially arrested Shaver near Kenova Elementary School within a week of the shooting. He was later released from jail.

Nearly two years later, Shaver was again captured just hours after being profiled as part of The Herald-Dispatch "Tri-State's Most Wanted." His spot on the list led to police receiving immediate telephone calls.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

That is very good news, but I wish that Ms. Wade had been properly armed at the time and taken this garbage, named Shaver, out for good. That would've saved the citizens of Huntington a lot of money.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I agree with the sentence. I am curious about being shot twice with a 45 and walking to a neighbor's house. I'm still new to this but always thought getting shot with a 45 meant goodnight.

I just bought a PM9 to replace my Mustang PocketLite because 380 is reported to be less effective. Well that and because my almost new Mustang is too darn pretty to shoot and carry.

Distinguished Member
    Sparkle Wade and Wilbert Shaver - compelling True Crime characters.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    I agree with the sentence. I am curious about being shot twice with a 45 and walking to a neighbor's house. I'm still new to this but always thought getting shot with a 45 meant goodnight.

I just bought a PM9 to replace my Mustang PocketLite because 380 is reported to be less effective. Well that and because my almost new Mustang is too darn pretty to shoot and carry.

Two words: Shot placement.

Goes to disprove the gunstore commando lore of "If you shoot someone in the thumb with a .45, they will drop dead right there"
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Society won't have to worry about that dirtbag for decades, but it's still too bad that they have to feed and house him...$2 worth of lead would have proven much better.IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I dont get why he was out, at home after such a violent crime....should he not be in jail until sentencing?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInTexas View Post
    I dont get why he was out, at home after such a violent crime....should he not be in jail until sentencing?
    Most suspects receive a bond,and as long as they can post bond,usually pay 10% to a bondsman they can get out until trial.unless due to previous jumping bond issues they are ordered held without bond
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links