$20 broken cell phone

This is a discussion on $20 broken cell phone within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This occurred in McAllen Texas,goes to show you how little value some dirtbags will place on somebodys life McALLEN — A man enraged after buying ...

Thread: $20 broken cell phone

$20 broken cell phone

This occurred in McAllen Texas,goes to show you how little value some dirtbags will place on somebodys life

McALLEN — A man enraged after buying a broken cell phone allegedly shot his neighbor in the head last week, police said.

Officers arrested Jesus “Chuy” Luna Jr., 20, after he allegedly shot his 18-year-old neighbor in the head with a .45-caliber pistol outside his house early Thursday morning at the 3400 block of West Augusta Avenue. The shooting victim, whose name was not disclosed by police, remains unconscious at McAllen Medical Center.

Luna allegedly shot the man after buying a broken cell phone from him for $20, the criminal complaint in the case states.

Witnesses — police withheld their names — told detectives they saw a white Ford pickup truck stop in an alley behind the victim’s house about 12:30 a.m. Thursday. Witnesses said they then heard gunshots. The victim’s father said he walked out his front door to find his other son holding his brother, who was bleeding in his arms.

An acquaintance of the victim accompanied the shooting victim when he sold Luna the broken cell phone, court documents state. The victim apparently said he knew the cell phone was broken, but that he would sell it and “risk getting caught.”

Police went to Luna’s house at the 3500 block of Balboa Avenue, one block south of where the shooting occurred. There, they found the broken cell phone and a .45-caliber pistol holster — the same size of bullet casings found at the scene and believed to have been used in the 18-year-old’s shooting.

Luna said he did not know anything about the shooting, but gave an inconsistent and changing story about his whereabouts in an interview with police. He also told detectives he would find it justifiable to kill someone for breaking into his home.

Detectives interviewed other neighbors and relatives who knew Luna, saying he had bragged about owning a .45-caliber handgun and would “take out” the victim with it “if he messed with him,” the criminal complaint states. Police said Luna had a “propensity for violence” against the victim, who he had apparently assaulted before.

Luna was arraigned on one charge of criminal attempted murder Saturday in McAllen Municipal Court. Bond was set at $500,000 in the case. If convicted, Luna could face up to 20 years in prison and up to a $10,000 fine.

The victim remains unresponsive and in critical condition at McAllen Medical Center, police said. Should he succumb to his injuries, the charges against Luna would be changed to murder.

___
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Sounds to me like maybe there was something wrong with this guy already. Like if it wasn't the cell phone that set him off, it would have been something else just as unreasonable. Maybe, the cell phone really had nothing to do with it, if I'm making any sense at all. He was was going to snap no matter what, and that poor neighbor was the man who got snapped on.

This story also seems to be a bit anti-gun, the author makes an effort to compare his mentality to us normal gun owners, quoting him abound how he would shoot somebody invading his home.

Lessons for us all: Watch what you say to neighbors, acquaintances; don't ever think a deadly weapon is a "magic" tool of justice; and watch out for your son's brother's father's other son, or some such (if the story is to be believed).

Whew! It must be late.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

To shoot someone over a $20 broken cell phone? It must have had a pretty bad 'ring tone'.

Interesting to note what the police said about this dirtbag conversations... "He also told detectives he would find it justifiable to kill someone for breaking into his home."
    Said by many about someone breaking into one's home, doesn't it now sound better to just say that you'd "Stop the threat"? I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    To shoot someone over a $20 broken cell phone? It must have had a pretty bad 'ring tone'.

Interesting to note what the police said about this dirtbag conversations... "He also told detectives he would find it justifiable to kill someone for breaking into his home."
    Said by many about someone breaking into one's home, doesn't it now sound better to just say that you'd "Stop the threat"? I'm just sayin'...
    I caught that also, I'm just wondering why that even came up in the conversation and who started that conversation, it had nothing to do with the case since we have the Castle Law, how does that relate?
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Animal.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Administrator
    Sub Human.
    Well, you KNOW that he didn't call the cops immediately following the shooting because...his cell phone was broken.

Yeah...we can all call this guy names and he clearly had a screw or two loose and it didn't justify trying to kill him, but perhaps now the "victim" won't be making bad deals and selling broken gear anymore... Lesson learned/wake up call maybe?

Sorry I'm just tired of these kind of "victim" threads. This is definitely one of those where he really brought violence to himself by willfully trying to screw someone over. Granted it was only a $20 cell phone, but again...play with fire and eventually you get burned.

People need to just grow up. The fact of the matter is that both participants were trash.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Yeah...we can all call this guy names and he clearly had a screw or two loose and it didn't justify trying to kill him, but perhaps now the "victim" won't be making bad deals and selling broken gear anymore... Lesson learned/wake up call maybe?

Sorry I'm just tired of these kind of "victim" threads. This is definitely one of those where he really brought violence to himself by willfully trying to screw someone over. Granted it was only a $20 cell phone, but again...play with fire and eventually you get burned.

People need to just grow up. The fact of the matter is that both participants were trash.
    I'm not naive , PN. The "victim" may well have been scum too. But from the article, we only know for sure that the shooter was a piece of crap. That's the only reason I didn't refer to the vic as well.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I was getting a vibe from the article that perhaps both the seller then the buyer/shooter have some "issues".

Needless to say, a shooting is definitely not justified over a broken device. He could have resolved it in a more peaceful manner. Just chose not to do so.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
    Sounds to me like maybe there was something wrong with this guy already. Like if it wasn't the cell phone that set him off, it would have been something else just as unreasonable. Maybe, the cell phone really had nothing to do with it, if I'm making any sense at all. He was was going to snap no matter what, and that poor neighbor was the man who got snapped on.

This story also seems to be a bit anti-gun, the author makes an effort to compare his mentality to us normal gun owners, quoting him abound how he would shoot somebody invading his home.
    Agreed on all points.

The accused, Luna, appears to be a person of less than stable mental faculty.
    Further what sane and rational thinking and emotionally balanced person thinks to go to a persons home and shoot them over a sore deal, muchless actually go through with it?
    These are the thoughts and actions of a damaged person.

As to the rest it's just typical media reporting.

With regard to the victim though, he's no daisy.
    Rules of the street and he rolled snake eyes.
    Dude knew he was doing business with an unstable person...A person who per report had assaulted him before.
    The streets do not suffer fools kindly and every one knows that running a rip off can and often does come back to haunt you. He burned dude and in return he scored some pocket change and a hard lesson in street karma.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I think the relation to the fact he would shoot somebody breaking into his home which is legal, but he is trying to say that somebody selling him a broken cell phone is along the same lines as if they broke in his house to steal from him
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Jesus “Chuy” Luna Jr., 20,
    I wonder how many gang tattoos he has?

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Oh what a tangled web we weave,
    When first we practise to deceive!
    Sir Walter Scott

Links