FBI finds no terrorism link to Virginia man with weapons cache in N.J. motel room - Page 2

FBI finds no terrorism link to Virginia man with weapons cache in N.J. motel room

This is a discussion on FBI finds no terrorism link to Virginia man with weapons cache in N.J. motel room within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm positive that there is no 50 BMG upper for an AR15,there is a 50 Beowulf upper,I have thousands of rounds some of them hollowpoints ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FBI finds no terrorism link to Virginia man with weapons cache in N.J. motel room

I'm positive that there is no 50 BMG upper for an AR15,there is a 50 Beowulf upper,I have thousands of rounds some of them hollowpoints and what some newspapers would classify as enough firearms to outfit a third world country.that doesn't make me guilty of anything,I might be wrong but I almost bet he was dishonorably discharged and may be grounds for denial of gun ownership since it is a question on the ATF 4473 firearms purchase form
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yep,anybody thats defacing serial numbers either have stolen guns or don't want them to be able to trace them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    If he ever gets out of jail I hope that he is red tagged so he won't be able to buy any more guns.
    He'll probably still be able to buy weapons with his 'special midnight street permit'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davensquirt View Post
    " During the struggle officers noticed that Woodson was concealing a loaded Bushmaster semi-automatic .223 caliber (5.56 mm) assault rifle, which had been altered to fire .50 caliber ammunition, inside of his military-style coat. "

Correct me if I am wrong but this just shows you how the media has to embellish the facts. I still am trying to figure out how you can alter a Bushmaster to fire the .50 round, however it would be awesome. When they do figure out the platform I will be the first in line to buy one.
    The officers noticed? He must have been printing?
    Never mind the .50 cal conversation, I wanna know how he concealed an AR-15?
    He must have had one heck of a custom holster
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

It amazes me how stupid people continue to do stupid things and get caught. If this guy had half a brain, and played it cool, he would have done a lot of damage. But no, he acts stupid at a convienence store and gets caught. Thank GOD for stupidity.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeephipwr View Post
    It amazes me how stupid people continue to do stupid things and get caught. If this guy had half a brain, and played it cool, he would have done a lot of damage. But no, he acts stupid at a convienence store and gets caught. Thank GOD for stupidity.
    amen to that...

I stand corrected

Thanks for the humility

Last but least thanks for not tossing me under the bus , but the media still bites !

This forum really is worth the time I spend on it and the headaches I get from my wife when I tell her what I am doing.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    Use the Bushmaster AR 15 lower, and get a .50 BMG upper. Hence the .223 to .50 BMG conversion. Bolt action, single shot (they generally have no magazine):

Advanced Longerange Systems 50 bmg conversions ALRS
    Ferret50.com, home of the Ferret50 50BMG rifle conversion for the AR-15 Ferret
    UltraMag 50 UM50

There are maybe a dozen different manufactures. I have never even seen one in person. I think most of the .50 BMG barrels are enormous! I don't see how one can conceal it under their coat.

edit: oh I forgot about the .50 bewolf or even the handgun rounds:) That would do it.
    Dave
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by HahnsXD View Post
    .50 Beowulf.
    I'd bet that's what it was. NJ has been demonizing the .50BMG for a while. You know, 'cause a rifle in .50BMG can shoot down airliners. They haven't banned it yet, but they want to (and this idiot wannabe terrorist isn't going to help the image), so I'm sure their media just pounced on the ".50".

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    do you also walk around new jersey with an assault style rifle under your coat and a bullet proof vest on?...

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davensquirt View Post
    I stand corrected

Thanks for the humility
    We are all just corks bobbing in the sea of life.

National news has picked up on this. It made yahoo's home page and now apparently, he had a "grenade launcher".

There is irony in that everything he has been arrested for is legal in many states (albeit not NJ), but when you put it together, it just doesn't smell right.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

here is a 50BMG upper

Bohica Arms

Bohica Arms bolt action

and

50 BMG fail

50 BMG KABOOM | Gun Blog

A grenade launcher? maybe a 37mm flare launcher...

Granted, this guy is probably prohibited from owning a firearm, but so far, all they have him for is multiple weapons possession charges.....and in NJ, you or I could be charged with the same thing (if we were stupid enough to drive through NJ with our firearms).

Hopefully, they will uncover something more--because this guy ain't right in the head. Why would he have a keffiyeh?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member

FBI finds no terrorism link to Virginia man with weapons cache in N.J. motel room

However....

Virginia man had weapons cache, grenade launcher stashed in N.J. hotel room | New Jersey Real-Time News - - NJ.com

Virginia man had weapons cache, grenade launcher stashed in N.J. hotel room
    By Star-Ledger Staff

January 25, 2010, 9:45PM

Lloyd Woodson, 43, of Reston, Va., today was charged with multiple offenses, including second-degree unlawful weapons possession and fourth-degree possession of prohibited weapons after police found him armed and a battery of weapons in his room at the Red Mill Inn in Branchburg.

BRANCHBURG -- A Virginia man who once spent eight years on the run from naval investigators was arrested in Somerset County early today with a trove of high-powered weapons, including a grenade-launcher and two assault rifles, along with maps of a U.S. military base and a civilian neighborhood, authorities said.

The federal government’s Joint Terrorism Task Force quickly joined the investigation into Lloyd R. Woodson, 43, who had been staying at a Branchburg motel since last week. Woodson, whose last known address was in Reston, Va., was wearing a bullet-proof vest and carrying one of the assault rifles — customized to shoot .50-caliber rounds — when police arrested him after a chase and a scuffle in a local trailer park.

Somerset County Prosecutor Wayne Forrest declined to speculate about Woodson’s intentions but remarked on the suspect’s arsenal, which included hundreds of rounds of ammunition, some of them hollow-point bullets, and a night-vision scope.

"In our experience, for private citizens to have this type of armament is quite unusual in Somerset County," Forrest said. "If you’re over in Afghanistan, it wouldn’t be rare."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE: FBI finds no terrorism link to Virginia man with weapons cache in N.J. motel room
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mixed in among Woodson’s belongings, the prosecutor said, was a Middle Eastern, red-and-white traditional headdress.

Forrest said his office reached out to the Joint Terrorism Task Force — a partnership of federal, state and local agencies administered by the Department of Justice — and that the agency had assigned an investigator from the FBI and another from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco Firearms and Explosives.

Calls placed to the task force and to the FBI in Newark late this afternoon were not immediately returned.

Forrest, citing security risks, declined to identify the military base or the civilian community depicted on Woodson’s maps. He said the civilian neighborhood was not in New Jersey.

Investigators, meanwhile, were seeking to learn more about Woodson, who was charged with multiple weapons counts, resisting arrest and other charges. He remained at the Somerset County Jail last night.

A U.S. Navy spokesman, Lt. Justin Cole, said Woodson joined the service in February 1988 and served aboard the USS Orion, a submarine tender, before deserting in April 1989. It would be eight years before he was returned to Navy custody, Cole said. A month later, in August 1997, Woodson was discharged.

It remained unclear last night whether he was passing through New Jersey or settling in for a longer period. He took a room last week at the Red Mill Inn, on Route 22. Shortly before 4 a.m. today, he was in a Quick Chek convenience store on Route 28 when someone in the store called police, saying Woodson had been acting suspiciously.

Branchburg Patrolman Steven Cronce, the first officer to arrive, began to question Woodson and noted he was "extremely nervous," the prosecutor said. Cronce also noticed a bulge in the front of Woodson’s green, military-style jacket, Forrest said.

When the officer continued to question Woodson, the suspect ran from the store and into the nearby Regency Trailer Park on Route 22, where officers found him. Forrest said Woodson fought with the officers, who subdued him with pepper spray. Under his coat was a ballistic vest with a reinforced steel plate and the customized assault rifle, whose ammunition is typically used in heavy weapons mounted on military vehicles.

They found a second assault rifle, a second vest, the grenade-launcher, ammunition, night scope, maps and a police scanner in Woodson’s room at the Red Mill Inn, where manager Hemant Desai said he’d seen no hint of trouble during the suspect’s stay.

On Saturday night, Desai said, he was working the evening shift and heard the sound of a CB or a radio coming from Woodson’s room. The lights were off, but Desai could see the faint glow of the television.

"I’m glad I didn’t open the door," said Desai, who has a master key to all units.

He said his colleague had gone into Woodson’s room Sunday morning and didn’t see any weapons.

By Jennifer Golson and Mark Mueller/The Star-Ledger
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Yeah and they (Feds) didn't find anything odd about the underwear bomber either so I find no comfort whatever in their findings.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    Yeah and they (Feds) didn't find anything odd about the underwear bomber either so I find no comfort whatever in their findings.
    In their defense, they actually did know about him and suspected his plans. TSA just let him on anyway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links