FBI finds no terrorism link to Virginia man with weapons cache in N.J. motel room - Page 3

FBI finds no terrorism link to Virginia man with weapons cache in N.J. motel room

This is a discussion on FBI finds no terrorism link to Virginia man with weapons cache in N.J. motel room within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; NJ also bans hollow points... I wonder if that was taken into account when they came up with the list of charges....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FBI finds no terrorism link to Virginia man with weapons cache in N.J. motel room

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    NJ also bans hollow points... I wonder if that was taken into account when they came up with the list of charges.

Are you kiddin me....? This guy has all this heavy artillery, body armour, police scanner and all the necessary ammo along with maps and a Arabic Head Scarf. I also read some place on AOL that he had islamic reading materials.

And he is not considered a terristic threat.

"You Can Fool Some Of The People Some Of The Time, But You Can't Fool All Of The People All Of The Time"........
    Abraham Lincoln

And yet now the 37mm Granade Launcher is being reffered to as a Flare Gun and some maybe water guns too............
    Last edited by xXxplosive; January 26th, 2010 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    In their defense, they actually did know about him and suspected his plans. TSA just let him on anyway.
    Last I checked TSA is part of the Feds. Thats my point, one hand doesn't know there is even another hand. Cash, one way, no checked bags, ....
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

I agree with the last few posters. I highly doubt the FBI, despite their myriad resources, have thoroughly vetted this guy enough to say definitively there is "no link" to terrorism. It's a knee-jerk statement meant to mollify the public, and it will surely blow up in the FBI's face if this guy does turn out to have links to AQ, Hezbollah, or any other group.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Are you kiddin me....? This guy has all this heavy artillery, body armour, police scanner and all the necessary ammo along with maps and a Arabic Head Scarf. I also read some place on AOL that he had islamic reading materials.

And he is not considered a terristic threat.

Nothing to see here folks, move along.
    Just another isolated incident.

A potential "man caused disaster" headed off.

night scope, maps and a police scanner
    Maps? Maps of what?

Well ... no politics here folks.... just move along... we have it all in hand, no need to look, we'll keep your interest in mind.... just move along....... this is none of your business folks... just keep moving along.

Duh.

Our Founding Fathers knew there was a good reason for transparency in Govt.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    And yet now the 37mm Granade Launcher is being reffered to as a Flare Gun and some maybe water guns too............
    It is not too difficult to legally purchase an actual grenade launcher with the correct tax stamp. I fondled one at the local class 3 shop and recall they run close to $3000.

The actual grenades, however, are illegal. You are right, it is just a glorified flare launcher.

I wonder if this guy was dishonorably discharged. I assume deserting from the Navy for 8 years would get you a dishonorable discharge...? Assuming that is true, he is prohibited from possessing firearms by federal law.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

I'm curious...

What bothers me most about this is the obliterated serial numbers, the maps of a local military facility and an out of state community.

As pro-private ownership of weapons as I am, obliterated serial numbers raise a red flag with me.

The map of a local military facility strikes me as illuminative. The several times I've been aboard military establishments as a civilian I've just stopped at the main gate information center and asked for a map and directions.

A keffiyeh? Sure thing; I quit wearing a fedora for a keffiyeh some time ago. (Please note satiric tone in comment.)

The map of the 'out of state community' also raises my curiosity. Is this possibly a place of refuge? Some where to seek haven after some other event, perhaps at the military facility? Or could it be some community of people as a target?

The FBI did put a wriggle room clause: "However, the matter is still under investigation and these should only be considered preliminary findings." Yeah.

The El Al counter at Los Angeles Int'l airport was shot up and a couple people killed several years ago. It was a single man acting on his own as far as anyone could tell. Between that and the Ft. Hood incident I'm wondering if actions require more than one person and an obvious link to Al Qeida to be a terrorist incident?

Presumably, things will become clearer as time goes on.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

No terrorism link? That guy was probably trying to go after Fort Dix like the other 6 radical Islamists they caught in 2007. I mean, why would we go all the way to New Jersey? It seems close to where he was located.

Well I'm glad they caught this guy. +1 to attentive clerks phoning in tips!

What was this guy doing here in NJ with all these defaced weapons, ammo, grenade launcher...
    NJ isn't immune, of course. Simply due to the heavier statutes, it wouldn't surprise me if there were heavier demand for off-market items.

Hm. Obliterated serials on some weapons; heavy calibers; multiple weapons and ammo in a motel room; fleeing from police contact and arrest; wearing a vest; concealing a heavy-cal rifle. Almost certainly, he was out to commit some bad acts. The trick is to find who he's connected to, if anyone. Might simply be a guppie in the larger sea of crime, in NJ. Who's to say, yet.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

They're not talking about it anymore here.........seems if it has any kind of terroristic overtones, it's being denied and hushed up.
    Obviously orders from Barry.............

Anybody count his toes?
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links