FBI finds no terrorism link to Virginia man with weapons cache in N.J. motel room

FBI finds no terrorism link to Virginia man with weapons cache in N.J. motel room

This is a discussion on FBI finds no terrorism link to Virginia man with weapons cache in N.J. motel room within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Virginia man armed with assault rifle arrested in Branchburg for weapons offenses By The Messenger-Gazette January 25, 2010, 4:22PM Courtesy Branchburg PoliceLloyd Woodson, whose last ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FBI finds no terrorism link to Virginia man with weapons cache in N.J. motel room

This Guy Had Some Bad Intentions..........

Virginia man armed with assault rifle arrested in Branchburg for weapons offenses
    By The Messenger-Gazette
    January 25, 2010, 4:22PM
    Courtesy Branchburg PoliceLloyd Woodson, whose last known address is Reston, Virginia, was charged with multiple weapons offenses. Woodson was caught wearing a bullet-proof vest and armed with an assault rifle after fleeing police in the area of the Quick Chek store at 1296 Route 28 in Branchburg.
    BRANCHBURG — Somerset County Prosecutor Wayne J. Forrest and Branchburg Chief of Police Brian Fitzgerald announced that police have arrested and charged Lloyd R. Woodson, age 43, (last known address) Generation Drive, Reston, Va., with multiple weapons offenses following an investigation in Branchburg.

Woodson, wearing a bullet-proof vest and armed with an assault rifle, was arrested after fleeing Branchburg police on Monday, January 25. Police later found multiple weapons, military equipment and a Middle Eastern headdress in his hotel room on Route 22 in Branchburg.

Forrest said that at approximately 3:55 a.m. on January 25, Branchburg police officers responded to a 9-1-1 call for a suspicious person at the Quick Chek located at 1296 Route 28. The caller stated that a black male wearing a military jacket was inside the store and was acting in a suspicious manner. Branchburg police officers responded to the Quick Chek to conduct the investigation.

Patrolman Steven Cronce was the first officer on the scene and was able to locate and make contact with defendant Woodson. Cronce conducted a field interview and noticed that defendant Woodson was extremely nervous. Cronce also noticed a large bulge in the front of the defendant’s green military-style jacket.

Woodson ran out of the Quick Chek, at which time Patrolman Cronce noticed that defendant Woodson’s back was flat, which led him to believe that the defendant could be wearing a bullet proof vest.

Forrest said that the defendant then fled on foot towards the Regency Trailer Park on Route 22. Additional officers responded to the area and began a canvass to locate Woodson, who was observed lying and hiding in bushes on the Regency Trailer Park property.

Officers ordered Woodson to show them his hands. Woodson refused to comply with the orders of the officers. Woodson once again began to flee on foot and was tackled to the ground by Branchburg officers. Woodson began to struggle with the arresting officers who had to use pepper spray in order to subdue him.

During the struggle officers noticed that Woodson was concealing a loaded Bushmaster semi-automatic .223 caliber (5.56 mm) assault rifle, which had been altered to fire .50 caliber ammunition, inside of his military-style coat.

Officers were able to place Woodson under arrest and a search incident to arrest revealed that Woodson was wearing a military-style ballistic vest with a reinforced front steel plate, had four additional loaded magazines, all containing ball type and hollow point ammunition. The Bushmaster rifle had a defaced serial number.

Forrest said that detectives subsequently conducted a search of the motel room which Woodson was residing in at the Red Mill Inn, Route 22, Branchburg.

Detectives located and seized from Woodson’s motel room a Bushmaster .308 caliber semi-automatic assault rifle with a defaced serial number, a 37 mm Cobray grenade launcher, a second ballistic vest, a rifle mountable Nightsight Illuminator NP75 (Russia) night vision scope, a police scanner, a military-style backpack, a map of a U.S. military installation and a map of an out-of-state civilian community, a Middle Eastern red and white colored traditional headdress, and hundreds of additional .50 caliber and .308 caliber ammunition along with military pouches and garrison equipment.

Forrest said that Woodson was charged with: Unlawful Possession of Weapons, second degree (2 counts); Prohibited Weapons/Armored Penetrating Bullets, fourth degree; Possession of Large Capacity Ammunition Magazines, fourth degree; Defaced Firearms (2 counts), fourth degree; Obstruction of Justice, disorderly persons; and Resisting Arrest, disorderly persons.

Bail is to be set on Woodson, who will be subsequently lodged at the Somerset County Jail.

Prosecutor Forrest and Chief Fitzgerald state that their investigation is continuing and request anyone with information to contact the Somerset County Prosecutor’s Office at 908-231-7100, or the Branchburg Township Police Department at 908-526-3830, or the Somerset County Crime Stoppers’ Tip Line at 1-888-577-TIPS (8477) or online at Welcome to Crime Stoppers of Somerset County New Jersey 1-888-577-TIPS or Office of the Somerset County Prosecutor and click on either “Crime Stoppers” or “TIPS HOTLINE."

This happened about 3.5 miles from my home.............What was this guy doing here in NJ with all these defaced weapons, ammo, grenade launcher.............Geeeezzzzz.

Wow. I 'm glad they caught him before he decided to go ape

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Glad they caught him.

As an aside..."bullet proof", "Assault rifle" etc. Uggh.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    This happened about 3.5 miles from my home.............What was this guy doing here in NJ with all these defaced weapons, ammo, grenade launcher.............Geeeezzzzz.

Are you trying to tell me that gun control laws don't work??? No way - they have been written by extra smart politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    Are you trying to tell me that gun control laws don't work??? No way - they have been written by extra smart politicians.
    You know it had to be a ccw holder, no self respecting criminal would ever Break a GUN LAW.

Facts

" During the struggle officers noticed that Woodson was concealing a loaded Bushmaster semi-automatic .223 caliber (5.56 mm) assault rifle, which had been altered to fire .50 caliber ammunition, inside of his military-style coat. "

Correct me if I am wrong but this just shows you how the media has to embellish the facts. I still am trying to figure out how you can alter a Bushmaster to fire the .50 round, however it would be awesome. When they do figure out the platform I will be the first in line to buy one.
    Dave
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Davensquirt View Post
    " During the struggle officers noticed that Woodson was concealing a loaded Bushmaster semi-automatic .223 caliber (5.56 mm) assault rifle, which had been altered to fire .50 caliber ammunition, inside of his military-style coat. "

Correct me if I am wrong but this just shows you how the media has to embellish the facts. I still am trying to figure out how you can alter a Bushmaster to fire the .50 round, however it would be awesome. When they do figure out the platform I will be the first in line to buy one.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    To do this anywhere, let along New Jersey is a terrible idea. It wouldn't surprise me if he gets charged with some sort of terrorist planning act based on his behavior, illegal weapons, and "military hardware".

All the 50 cal AR conversions are bolt action right? What an odd weapon to be "concealing" under your coat! This guy obviously has some screws loose. I am glad they arrested him before he hurt anyone.

Even though he hasn't done anything terrible (yet), from my perspective, concealed firearm possession in NJ and the filed serial numbers means he was up to no good. No lawful gun owner would do this. No person with any common sense whatsoever would do this.

Somewhere, the internet is missing a commando!
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Sounds like the gunman made a major mistake stopping at the store.Nice to see
    everyone so observant ! This is why we will win the war in the long run.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I still am trying to figure out how you can alter a Bushmaster to fire the .50 round
    Use the Bushmaster AR 15 lower, and get a .50 BMG upper. Hence the .223 to .50 BMG conversion. Bolt action, single shot (they generally have no magazine):

http://www.50bmg.net/ ALRS
    Ferret50.com, home of the Ferret50 50BMG rifle conversion for the AR-15 Ferret
    UltraMag 50 UM50

There are maybe a dozen different manufactures. I have never even seen one in person. I think most of the .50 BMG barrels are enormous! I don't see how one can conceal it under their coat.

edit: oh I forgot about the .50 bewolf or even the handgun rounds:) That would do it.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

.50 Beowulf.
    http://www.50beowulf.com/
    Alexander Arms: .50 Beowulf®
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

Armor piercing rounds? Really, most rifle rounds are armor piercing.

If he ever gets out of jail I hope that he is red tagged so he won't be able to buy any more guns.

This Guy had Some Bad Intentions......Part 2

Virginia man had weapons cache, grenade launcher stashed in N.J. hotel room
    By Star-Ledger Staff
    January 25, 2010, 9:45PM
    Star-Ledger fileLloyd Woodson, 43, of Reston, Va., today was charged with multiple offenses, including second-degree unlawful weapons possession and fourth-degree possession of prohibited weapons after police found him armed and a battery of weapons in his room at the Red Mill Inn in Branchburg.
    BRANCHBURG -- A Virginia man who once spent eight years on the run from naval investigators was arrested in Somerset County early today with a trove of high-powered weapons, including a grenade-launcher and two assault rifles, along with maps of a U.S. military base and a civilian neighborhood, authorities said.

The federal government’s Joint Terrorism Task Force quickly joined the investigation into Lloyd R. Woodson, 43, who had been staying at a Branchburg motel since last week. Woodson, whose last known address was in Reston, Va., was wearing a bullet-proof vest and carrying one of the assault rifles — customized to shoot .50-caliber rounds — when police arrested him after a chase and a scuffle in a local trailer park.

Somerset County Prosecutor Wayne Forrest declined to speculate about Woodson’s intentions but remarked on the suspect’s arsenal, which included hundreds of rounds of ammunition, some of them hollow-point bullets, and a night-vision scope.

"In our experience, for private citizens to have this type of armament is quite unusual in Somerset County," Forrest said. "If you’re over in Afghanistan, it wouldn’t be rare."

Mixed in among Woodson’s belongings, the prosecutor said, was a Middle Eastern, red-and-white traditional headdress.

Forrest said his office reached out to the Joint Terrorism Task Force — a partnership of federal, state and local agencies administered by the Department of Justice — and that the agency had assigned an investigator from the FBI and another from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco Firearms and Explosives.

Calls placed to the task force and to the FBI in Newark late this afternoon were not immediately returned.

Forrest, citing security risks, declined to identify the military base or the civilian community depicted on Woodson’s maps. He said the civilian neighborhood was not in New Jersey.

Investigators, meanwhile, were seeking to learn more about Woodson, who was charged with multiple weapons counts, resisting arrest and other charges. He remained at the Somerset County Jail last night.

Stephen Stirling/For The Star-LedgerThe Red Mill Inn Motel in Branchburg, where weapons were found. A report of a "suspicious" man at a Branchburg Quick Chek turned out to be an armed man who had a cache of weapons and military equipment stashed in his motel room, authorities said.A U.S. Navy spokesman, Lt. Justin Cole, said Woodson joined the service in February 1988 and served aboard the USS Orion, a submarine tender, before deserting in April 1989. It would be eight years before he was returned to Navy custody, Cole said. A month later, in August 1997, Woodson was discharged.

It remained unclear last night whether he was passing through New Jersey or settling in for a longer period. He took a room last week at the Red Mill Inn, on Route 22. Shortly before 4 a.m. yesterday, he was in a Quick Chek convenience store on Route 28 when someone in the store called police, saying Woodson had been acting suspiciously.

Branchburg Patrolman Steven Cronce, the first officer to arrive, began to question Woodson and noted he was "extremely nervous," the prosecutor said. Cronce also noticed a bulge in the front of Woodson’s green, military-style jacket, Forrest said.

When the officer continued to question Woodson, the suspect ran from the store and into the nearby Regency Trailer Park on Route 22, where officers found him. Forrest said Woodson fought with the officers, who subdued him with pepper spray. Under his coat was a ballistic vest with a reinforced steel plate and the customized assault rifle, whose ammunition is typically used in heavy weapons mounted on military vehicles.

They found a second assault rifle, a second vest, the grenade-launcher, ammunition, night scope, maps and a police scanner in Woodson’s room at the Red Mill Inn, where manager Hemant Desai said he’d seen no hint of trouble during the suspect’s stay.

On Saturday night, Desai said, he was working the evening shift and heard the sound of a CB or a radio coming from Woodson’s room. The lights were off, but Desai could see the faint glow of the television.

"I’m glad I didn’t open the door," said Desai, who has a master key to all units.

He said his colleague had gone into Woodson’s room Sunday morning and didn’t see any weapons.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links