Good: Homeowner shoots armed robbers

Good: Homeowner shoots armed robbers

This is a discussion on Good: Homeowner shoots armed robbers within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; SPARTANBURG COUNTY, S.C. -- A man whose home was robbed last week heard someone breaking in again on Tuesday morning, said he grabbed his shotgun ...

Thread: Good: Homeowner shoots armed robbers

Thumbs up Good: Homeowner shoots armed robbers

SPARTANBURG COUNTY, S.C. -- A man whose home was robbed last week heard someone breaking in again on Tuesday morning, said he grabbed his shotgun and hit one robbery suspect with birdshot.

The incident happened after 9 a.m. at this home on Nodding Hill Road.

The 911 call came in at 9:19 a.m. about a home invasion burglary at 632 Nodding Hill Road in Spartanburg County, said Public Information Officer Tony Ivey.

Ric Clary said, "I was asleep on the couch. I heard this racket. It sounded like a bomb or something going in. I guess it's where they kicked the back door in. I heard glass. I got off the couch, ran in the bedroom, got my gun out from under the bed. The zipper was stuck on the case (and I) couldn't get the gun out. I was shaking all to pieces.

"I come running through there -- he was sticking his arm in the door there -- and I shot him."

Clary told deputies that two, possibly three, robbers were involved. They took off running after he fired, leaving a vehicle in the yard of the house. Clary was not injured.

He said, "Only thing made me mad -- my gun jammed. I couldn't get another shot."

Clary said he hadn't fired the gun in four years.

"I would've fired five times. I had five bullets in it. So it saved their life."

Charlene Cothran, the victim's stepdaughter, also lives in the house.

Cothran said, "I had been gone 45 minutes this morning and I got a call saying that they had came in and my stepdad had shot someone.

"He said they kicked the door in because we had a new lock and they busted the glass on the kitchen door We think maybe it's someone we know or someone that's been here and knows us and maybe knows what we have. But we have no idea," Cothran said.

Deputies think the other people involved were picked up by someone and driven out of the area. The robbers left a 9 mm weapon on the porch, deputies said.

Tuesday afternoon, Ivey said that wounded robber, a 16-year-old, had shown up at a hospital a short time later. The hospital reported the teen, who had been wounded in the left hand and forearm, to deputies.

The teen is charged with first-degree burglary and possession of a weapon during a violent crime.

Investigators said they determined the 9 mm gun was stolen during a burglary in December in Spartanburg.

Investigators said the teen is being uncooperative. They are continuing to search for his accomplices.

Family Had Previous Break-In

Cothran said last Monday, when she was out of town, she found a glass storm door broken and the house broken into.

"I found that my iPod was stolen and the computer was unhooked and it was attempted to be taken. We think our neighbors scared them off," she said.

Isn't it scary how many times you hear about someone's gun "jamming" because it hasn't been cleaned or used in forever? Homeowner was incredibly lucky on this one. Several armed robbers, breaking in in broad daylight, likely knew someone was home... SOMEBODY was gonna get shot. Glad it was the bad guys.

DrJ

...The teen is charged with first-degree burglary and possession of a weapon during a violent crime...

Armed burglary, if charged as an adult, will show this teen thug what being tough is really about...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Not just that the gun jammed, but the case it was in had a stuck zipper. Idiots all around, but a lucky one.

Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    Not just that the gun jammed, but the case it was in had a stuck zipper. Idiots all around, but a lucky one.
    I wouldn't say stupid, just unprepared. Obviously he hadn't used that shotgun after an unreasonably long interval. As regards the jam, I'll bet you any amount of money that the weapon didn't malfunction, he did. If you fail to pull the forestock all the way back and push it all the way forward, you are likely to have feeding problems.

Practice. Practice. Practice.

And then practice some more. Not just with your carry weapon.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

I want a 12 guage double barrel coach gun with external "rabbit ear" hammers for home defense. I wouldn't be sporting bird shot in it either. I found one in 20 guage at a gun show this weekend, but I'm gonna hold out for a 12.

Any thoughts on my desire for said old school shotgun for home defense (in addition to my handgun, not instead of).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post

Any thoughts on my desire for said old school shotgun for home defense (in addition to my handgun, not instead of).
    It'd be nice to have...as a second shotgun. For home defense, I think I'd rather have a pump w/ 5-8 shots. Two shots is better than nothing but not near as good as 5 or 8 shots should you ever need to defend yourself. Just saying....

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    It'd be nice to have...as a second shotgun. For home defense, I think I'd rather have a pump w/ 5-8 shots.
    I agree, but make mine a simi auto...
    "Brains before Bullets"

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I want a 12 guage double barrel coach gun with external "rabbit ear" hammers for home defense. I wouldn't be sporting bird shot in it either. I found one in 20 guage at a gun show this weekend, but I'm gonna hold out for a 12.

If you don't mind cleaning up some rust, buying a new spring for one of the hammers and finding a stock that fits it I might be able you make you a deal on a shotgun I got after my grandpa died (he found it in his field when he hit the stock with his tractor) The rust is pretty thick and the one spring snapped due to the corrosion so I can not vouch for how easy it will be to get it back working reliably again. At the time I think it cost $200 for the stock and I decided it wasn't worth it. It's a 12 ga. model 1878 colt shotgun I am pretty sure.

Dirtbags leave behind a car and a 9MM. I guess they were scared.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Sponsored Links