Man looks for dog shot during confrontation in Weslaco

This is a discussion on Man looks for dog shot during confrontation in Weslaco within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; When I read the title I assumed (yes never assume you make an a** out of yourself) he was out looking for his dog and ...

Thread: Man looks for dog shot during confrontation in Weslaco

Man looks for dog shot during confrontation in Weslaco

When I read the title I assumed (yes never assume you make an a** out of yourself) he was out looking for his dog and saw it in a yard when he went to see the dog the owner thought he saw him and shot him, or something like that.

This is what I read.

WESLACO — All Leon Escalon wants is his dog back.

The 34-year old said he stepped out of a Stripes convenience store Saturday night after picking up a pack of smokes. Buster, the canine companion he described as his best friend, waited on the passenger seat of his pickup truck.

“As I’m backing up, my tailgate gets close against the pumps and a guy was waving his arms,” Escalon said. “I’m like, ‘Man, what the hell is going on here?’”

Escalon said he opened his truck door and stepped outside. Escalon and the man confronted each other face-to-face — until the man pulled out a silver .22-caliber pistol.

“He just put the gun right to my face,” Escalon said. “My dog came flying over from the passenger side to my driver’s side.

“He just moved it sideways and shot my dog.”

Escalon said he then wrestled with the man, 19-year-old Ronnie Villalpando, and managed to free the gun from his grip. A Weslaco police officer who had stopped at the nearby intersection saw the confrontation and arrived just as Villalpando got back into his Kia and accelerated north on Westgate Drive, according to a statement from the Police Department.

“The dog took off toward Donna when the cop showed up,” Escalon said. Witnesses “say the dog was fighting (Villalpando) off with me.”

The officer pursued Villalpando north of Expressway 83 but lost him.

Buster, a 9-year-old boxer, has not been seen since then.

“That dog is my life, let me just tell you,” Escalon said. “I live alone — I’m a single guy. That is who I talk to when I come home.”

Escalon and police officers have looked for Buster since the confrontation, but to no avail. A family called Escalon and said they fed Buster and took a photo of him. But they shooed away the dog Sunday after he apparently scared the family’s horses.

Investigators found and arrested Villalpando, 19, a former Edcouch-Elsa High School running back who ran for more than 1,000 yards during the 2005 season. Villalpando was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and evading arrest. Bond was set at $52,500 for the two felony charges.

Escalon, meanwhile, has pursued leads in the Weslaco area in his search for Buster, but none of them have panned out.

“If he’s dead, I wish I could find him,” the man said, “just so I don’t have to be wondering anymore.”
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

2. Remove Ads

Breaks my heart.

No replacement for a good dog

How long has it been since it went missing and how's the weather been? I wonder if a local with a dog trained to search on smell could find him. Can't be that hard...I even trained my pit to search on smell.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Hopefully he wasn't injured too bad and somebody finds him and gets him to a vet,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Moral of the story: Drive away.

So he backs up at a filing station.
    Some guy out of the blue begins waving his hands and possibly making gestures.
    To which the driver thinks hey I'll curse at him and get out of my vehicle to share personal zone space with him.

How much sense does that make?
    Zero.

Put the vehicle in 'Drive' and do just that, drive on away to live your life...And enjoy your dog.

All this for what?
    Nothing. : |

Hopefully the dog manages to find his way home.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

From my understanding a family saw and Fed him, but he scared the horses and they shooshed him away.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Feel bad for the dog. Feel seriously toxic toward the guy who shot him.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Another senseless confrontation, one man loses a great canine friend, and the other will be taking loooooong vacation.

Keeping quiet and leaving prior to the confrontations would have made things so much easier.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links