Common Sense (belatedly) Prevails in Great Britain.

This is a discussion on Common Sense (belatedly) Prevails in Great Britain. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was a member of the facebook page "Support Colin Philpott Who Tried to Protect His Family" and received an email this morning indicating that ...

I was a member of the facebook page "Support Colin Philpott Who Tried to Protect His Family" and received an email this morning indicating that charges were being dropped which prompted me to search and find this story

Charges dropped against Colin Philpott

January 28, 2010

Charges against Crowthorne man Colin Philpott, who stabbed a youth who was allegedly attacking his stepson, have been dropped.

Mr Philpott was charged with attempted murder after he stabbed the youth outside his home in The Conifers on Friday, July 24, last year.

But Thames Valley Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has decided there is no case to be brought against Mr Philpott.

CPS lawyer Paul Harrison said: “I have considered the case against Colin Philpott very carefully and decided that there is insufficient evidence to charge him with any offence in relation to this incident.

“In making my decision I took into account the level of force used by Mr Philpott, the fact that he was defending his family and property and responding to an immediate threat of danger to himself.

“In my view the prosecution would not be able to establish that Mr Philpott was not acting in self defence or that the force he used was unreasonable in the circumstances.”

A 17-year-old from Sandhurst has been charged with actual bodily harm in relation to the alleged attack on Mr Philpott’s stepson and criminal damage in relation to alleged vandalism of Mr Philpott’s vehicles.

He will appear at Maidenhead Youth Court on Thursday, February 4.
    I can't imagine facing charges in such a clear cut case of self defense, even here in the PRK.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    over the pond is another story.... not to many guns in good guys hands such a shame the BG did not get justice.... if he tried doing his crime over here the out come could have been him taking a very long dirt nap.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

What has happened to the descendents of our distant British ancestors, forebearers and cousins who were once so brave and courageous and heroic and stoic and smart? Where has common sense went? What happened to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    What has happened to the descendents of our distant British ancestors, forebearers and cousins who were once so brave and courageous and heroic and stoic and smart? Where has common sense went? What happened to them?
    What happend is they let the Government tell them how they can live, work, eat, sleep and what they can and cannot do.

Let's keep that from happening here.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I too wonder the exact same things.

They used to be a proud, defiant and dominant super power of a country known for it's alpha males, aggression, might and not suffering fools.
    The United Kingdom!

Sad.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

same as all powerful feudal type nations...too much resting on their laurels and inbreeding...leading to decay

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    ... there is insufficient evidence to charge him with any offence

... would not be able to establish that Mr Philpott was not acting in self defence or that the force he used was unreasonable in the circumstances.”
    Odd. They imply they would like to charge him, but can't find the necessary evidence. Not be able to not not not, not, not not, and not unreasonable. !?!

Why don't he just say "In my assessment, the way he acted was reasonable and within the law. Hence there are no charges"
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricebrnr View Post
    same as all powerful feudal type nations...too much resting on their laurels and inbreeding...leading to decay
    Don't fall prey to one of their problems which is arrogance. As much as I like the guys on Top Gear I can't stand watching them review American cars because of all of the inbreeding jokes about Americans.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    While I'm glad the decision was in the homeowners favor I'm not really convinced this is evidence of a sea-change in opinion. Now if this becomes the norm and we stop hearing about homeowners being charged with assault for defending themselves and their families I'll change my tune. For now this is just a glimmer of what should be, but is no longer.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Maybe, just maybe, the native British people can and will stand up and vote and demand that they get their gun rights back! They could do it! They could get their guns back to defend themselves from immigrant invader attacks! They too had a civil war, back in their distant past.

they moved to America in the late 18th century.

Maybe, just maybe, the native British people can and will stand up and vote and demand that they get their gun rights back! They could do it! They could get their guns back to defend themselves from immigrant invader attacks! They too had a civil war, back in their distant past.
    LMAO

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    How much misery has Mr. Philpott gone through between the fight and the charges being dropped?

I'm sure he's relieved, but this was most likely an extremely costly experience in many ways.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by lacrosse50 View Post
    While I'm glad the decision was in the homeowners favor I'm not really convinced this is evidence of a sea-change in opinion. Now if this becomes the norm and we stop hearing about homeowners being charged with assault for defending themselves and their families I'll change my tune. For now this is just a glimmer of what should be, but is no longer.
    Unfortunately you are correct. All the available evidence indicates that British subjects who exercise their God given right to defend themselves and their loved ones will continue to be put through the ringer. Look at what happened to Tony Martin. Granted his case had some more "color" than this story, but the guy was originally convicted of first degree murder which was only later downgraded to manslaughter after he was found to have diminished capacity. I think Martin screwed up, but sorry, occupational hazard of being a thug. Make the guy pay for funeral expenses and call it even.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Links