BAD - Gilbert, AZ cop killed

This is a discussion on BAD - Gilbert, AZ cop killed within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Gilbert officer killed during traffic stop, suspects lead police on 50-mile chase | Phoenix News | Arizona News | azfamily.com | Local News Gilbert officer ...

Thread: BAD - Gilbert, AZ cop killed

BAD - Gilbert, AZ cop killed

Gilbert officer killed during traffic stop, suspects lead police on 50-mile chase | Phoenix News | Arizona News | azfamily.com | Local News

Gilbert officer killed during traffic stop, suspects lead police on 50-mile chase
    GILBERT, AZ -- A veteran lieutenant with the Gilbert Police Department is dead, gunned down during a routine traffic stop that sparked a high-speed chase that went on for 50 miles.

It all started at about 11 p.m. when Lt. Eric Shuhandler stopped two suspects in a truck at a fast food restaurant near Val Vista and Baseline Road, which is near the Mesa-Gilbert border. It's not yet known what led up to that stop. About 12 minutes into that stop, Shuhandler was shot once.
    Shuhandler, who had 16 years on the force, was rushed to Maricopa Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

Some Mesa officers were nearby at the time and heard the shot. They rushed in to help. That's when the chase started. That high-speed pursuit went on for about 50 miles eastbound on the U.S. 60, all the way to Top of the World near the Superior and Globe area. During the chase, the suspects were doing whatever they could to get away.

"They were throwing stuff out of the vehicle. They were also shooting at the officers," Sgt. Mark Marino of the Gilbert Police Department. "They actually ended up disabling officers' vehicles from our agency and Mesa Police Department."

The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office Fox 1 helicopter, Mesa Police Department's Falcon helicopter and the Department of Public Safety Ranger helicopter out of Tucson all provided air support for the chase, which involved about 100 officers.

"The scene was definitely easy to follow from the air because there were numerous emergency lights that trailed all the way eastbound on 60," said MCSO Dep. Josh Johnson.

The chase finally came to an end near the Superior town limits. "They stopped basically in the middle of the road," said DPS Lt. Steve Harrison. "We don't know if they stopped to engage in a gunfight. ... Obviously, they weren't going to give up because they came out shooting. We really don't know why they stopped or why they stopped where they stopped."

The suspects jumped out of their truck and fired at officers and deputies on the ground. Those officers and deputies returned fire.
    Both of the suspects were wounded, but the exact nature of those injuries was not immediately available. Both of the suspects were taken to Valley hospitals. One was transported by ground ambulance, the other by the DPS helicopter. No information about those suspects has been released.

No officers were injured during the pursuit and subsequent shootout.
    Shuhandler, who became well known throughout the country when he handled information about the DUI arrest of former NBA great Charles Barkley, is the second Arizona officer killed in the line of duty in a little more than a month.

The incident with its massive crime scene is under investigation.
    "There's evidence along the road and strewn along the entire distance," said Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu. "That's where we have to be very deliberate in gathering all that data and try to be as dispassionate as we can."
    DPS is heading up the investigation, coordinating the multiple jurisdictions and agencies involved.

Anywhere, anytime... just down the road from me.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

2. Remove Ads

R.I.P., Lt. Shuhandler.

On a side note, this makes me soooo angry!
    Idiots.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Bad deal. Horrible for his family. Not too far from where I live.
    I heard on the radio that one of the suspects had died of his wounds. With any luck, the other will not last long either.

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    Bad deal. Horrible for his family. Not too far from where I live.
    I heard on the radio that one of the suspects had died of his wounds. With any luck, the other will not last long either.
    +1, may justice be served quickly, even today, hopefully. wastes of human flesh.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Is It just me or are there more cops getting gunned down nowadays,seems like respect for LEO's is non existent,even BG's use to have some morals,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sounds like a scene from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Sorry to hear about another slain officer...may he R.I.P.

Also sorry to hear that the two dirtbags were only wounded.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Update

PD: Gilbert officer killed after suspect shoots him in head - Phoenix Arizona news, breaking news, local news, weather radar, traffic from ABC15 News | ABC15.com

Latest info... the shooter is a career criminal. Why on earth is this POS out on parole???

There were three LE helos involved in the chase... what a shame they weren't equipped with Dillon M134s. Give an audible order to STOP... then a warning shot across the bow. If they continue, then... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EpHi0kKqsU
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

There were three LE helos involved in the chase... what a shame they weren't equipped with Dillon M134s. Give an audible order to STOP... then a warning shot across the bow. If they continue, then... YouTube - dillon minigun highlights
    That's just awesome. That would have ended the chase quickly.

The BG's are getting much bolder and more insane, my prayers for the slain officer and his family.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Is It just me or are there more cops getting gunned down nowadays,seems like respect for LEO's is non existent,even BG's use to have some morals,
    RIP Lt. May your family get the justice they deserve.

Your right, but why fear a Justice System that's lame.

They don't fear prison, why fear those who arrest you to go there, so you kill one or two of them, what are they going to do to you. Lock you up to get 3 hots and a cot, free medical/dental, free exercise for a few years and if your real good and behave, you'll come out healthier and stronger with good teeth and be able to kill or rob more people because your stronger then when you went in and all at your victims expense.

Yah, what a system we have created and continue to allow to exist today. The best in the world. Well, maybe the most humane, but not necessarily the best is what I'm thiking anymore.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Links