Update: Everett police shot at man 17 times - Page 3

Update: Everett police shot at man 17 times

This is a discussion on Update: Everett police shot at man 17 times within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just something to think about. He either wont have to think about it any more, or He'll have the rest of eternity to think about ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Update: Everett police shot at man 17 times

Senior Moderator
    Just something to think about.
    He either wont have to think about it any more,
    or
    He'll have the rest of eternity to think about it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ExHippie View Post
    A few last thoughts on this from the perspective of the homeowner:

It's 1 am, and someone is pounding on my door. They're yelling, but with the TV on, and the walls in between us, I can't tell exactly what they're saying. Better grab the shotgun just in case. I open the door, but can't see well because my eyes haven't adjusted to the dark. Someone yells at me to drop my weapon, but I can't make them out in the dark. Moments later, a hail of gunfire erupts.

And the newspapers aren't reporting that I ever even fired a shot.
    Any hypothetical story from the basic facts at hand might end up being true. No way to tell, as the only one who would know is dead. No way to know what was running through his mind, whether there were loud noises in the vicinity that didn't otherwise make it into the official report, whether he couldn't see well.

My guess is: he knew he belonged there, as it was his home; thus opening the door would be perfectly fine; defending his home is his right, thus the shotgun; and opening the door with shotgun in hand would not be risky, 'cause he had the shotgun. His alcohol-laced thinking probably didn't take it much further than that. Any commands barked by the police likely would have floated right by his consciousness, no matter how much time elapsed since he opened the door.

It would be nice if the truth came out and ruled the day, in the trial. May justice be done, whichever way justice requires. Given what we've been told in the official report, it's hard to fault the officers for responding quickly while under the gun.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The gang that couldn't shoot straight? That precinct has marksmanship issues.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Quote Originally Posted by mojust View Post
    The gang that couldn't shoot straight? That precinct has marksmanship issues.
    It's not so easy to put bullets on target when you are having the biggest adrenaline dump of your life and piss is running down your leg. Not to worry though, you won't notice the urine until later, when you start to get cold.

People wonder why I don't encourage seeking out what made that "bump in the night" or leaving the safety of one's home when "something isn't right." My heart goes out to the LEO's in this case. The homeowner, fecal matter happens.

I think this can be used as educational material. If one can get past the "blind hyperbole" and chest thumping. Don't answer the door with a visible weapon is lesson number two. Lesson number one is to not get so drunk that you do stupid stuff.

Since most of us have chosen to live in society that means we accept the mores of society. One of those mores is that LEO's will respond to burglary calls. If somebody thinks you are a suspicious person or a burglar, expect to be talking with LEO's. If you don't want to talk with LEO's, don't live with or be a member of society.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Not to me, sounds like they were surprised by the shotgun and as he came out... the one started firing, so the others did as well about the same time. Sounds like "over-reaction" and reacted too quickly.. there was no assessment of the situation here.

A homeowner with a gun, is not normally a threat. Burglars don't carry shotguns. So, that should have been a really strong hint to the officers right there.
    1.)Do you know and/or converse with a lot of burglars and that is how you came to this assumption?
    2.)Is there an unwritten rule that states burglars will not/shall not carry shotguns or any firearms?
    If so this is news to me. For all the officers knew it could have been an attempted/in progress home invasion and in most of those cases the suspects are armed.
    3.) A homeowner or anyone with a firearm (other than LE) is a threat because you do not know what frame of mind they are in or if they are under the influence of a drug or alcohol or what their true intentions are.

It is hard to put yourself in the officers shoes but if I was responding to a possible burglary in progress call and someone came out and pointed a shotgun at me I for one would not be waiting around to see what his intentions were.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Doorways, not know for their width, firing coming from different angles towards a small opening with obstacles and he's hold a gun and he's probably not just standing there while bullets are flying. 17 rounds from possibly 3 different officers isn't that big of a deal actually in my view when you really want the individual down and out and adrenaline is running high as I'm sure it was.

Just my view.
    I pray to God my hit ratio is better when my adrenaline is rocking.

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are cunning and you sleep with your mouth open.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    You might want to pray, its a mistake to assume that it will be better.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Burglars don't carry shotguns.
    Somebody needs to tell the bad guys. They did not get the memo. Back when I was a patrol officer, I arrested a house burgler who was armed with a Remington 870 Marine model. When he realized the K-9 was about to "find" him, he tossed it out of the linen closet before coming out himself. A couple of years ago, there was a string of burglaries in Pinellas County, FL where the kid was carrying a shotgun when he was caught. He was hitting both occupied and unoccupied dwellings. It is also a very common weapon for home invasion robberies, which often come in as burglary calls. It has been my experience that burglars rarely follow the "What I'm supposed to carry" rule.
    Gonzo
    PS - Incidentally, the shotgun was beatiful and in perfect condition. It had been stolen from an unsecured Jeep Wranger over a year earlier and was apparently passed around from gang member to gang member based on their seniority becuase it was "silver" and "looked really bad***". Go figure...
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Absolutely.

What is the old adage? "Assumptions will get you killed." Might well do exactly that, if blindly assuming one can't be facing a shotgun simply because one is facing a criminal attack.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    Prayer is always good in these types of situations, I said a lot of them during my tenure as a cop. As Sixto mentioned above prayer is good.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links