Negligent Discharges

This is a discussion on Negligent Discharges within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Seems like it would be a good read for learning how not to mess up. (cant see it at work) Thanks will have to sub ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Negligent Discharges

Seems like it would be a good read for learning how not to mess up.

(cant see it at work)

Thanks will have to sub to this thread.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

2. Remove Ads

In some of these examples the basic rules of gun handling were not observed. In some of the others, just plain stupidity, for which there is no cure.
    I am certain that stories along the same lines of stupidity and ignorance could be cited related to the operation of any mechanical device,..........Automobiles come to mind.
    I have maintained for the majority of my years that some folks should not handle anything mechanical.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldogy View Post
    In some of these examples the basic rules of gun handling were not observed. In some of the others, just plain stupidity, for which there is no cure.
    I am certain that stories along the same lines of stupidity and ignorance could be cited related to the operation of any mechanical device,..........Automobiles come to mind.
    I have maintained for the majority of my years that some folks should not handle anything mechanical.
    oldogy
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Great post. Interesting stories. I'm sure every single one of those people thought they had the situation under control and that a ND would never happen to them. This is precisely why every firearm I own ALWAYS remains with empty chamber until ready to fire.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member
    Bookmarked!

The ankle is amazing, as is the story about the young married couple who were practicing "clearing their house" and he pointed at her head and clicked. Or the sailor who pointed at his girlfriend and clicked. c.r.a.z.y.

Ouch! Hard on the eyes! Sounds like the stories are good, but my eyes can't stand reading white on black like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Great post. Interesting stories. I'm sure every single one of those people thought they had the situation under control and that a ND would never happen to them. This is precisely why every firearm I own ALWAYS remains with empty chamber until ready to fire.

-
    No, I am going to disagree. This is the problem, them thinking they had the situation under control.
    They did not think...Some of them are fools, yes fools. Maybe I am dense but I can not see it any other way. They broke the most basic rules of firearm safety.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post
    was surfing around and came across this site. the following link goes to a page dedicated to NDs. Looking through the pictures, reading the stories, some turn out as lesson learned some turn out as horrible examples of needless death to remind us. SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY!!! The responsibility we carry with us every day has life and death consequences.

Stay armed, Stay Safe, Don't get cocky, and keep the booger hooker off the bang switch.
    Neglegent Discharge Stories

The two loudest sounds.... the click that goes BANG.... and the bang that goes CLICK.

Safety... Training... Safety

I emailed Kahr asking for clarification regarding discharges when dropped. I received the following reply today:

Our pistols can not discharge unless the trigger is fully pulled to the rear. When the trigger is pulled it finishes cocking the striker and then moves the striker block out of the way making it impossible do go off on its own again unless the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear. I hope this helps clear things up. Please email me back if you have any other questions.

Ian Burr
    Ian.Burr@kahr.com

This confirms what I've read. I don't know why the gun discharged, but it must not have been directly caused by hitting the floor.

On the Kahr "dropped" in the bathroom. I honestly doubt that this was the cause of said discharge. Guns don't go bang unless the trigger is pulled OR there is a VERY serious amount of wear or damage or Danny Dremmel went to work on his kitchen table with it one day. I've had one gun ever go bang without pulling the trigger, It was an OLD OLD OLD 22 rifle, I don't remember what year or model it was but it was bolt action and as I rocked the lever forward and down the firing pin let go. It was a case of wear and my friend retired it permanently as there were no replacement parts available.

Other than that I've never trusted a story of I dropped it or it just went bang.

Posting the thread is just my way of contributing to the community here as it is a very safety conscious forum. Hopefully someone will show their friend who wont quit goofing around with guns and it will save some heartbreak.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by oldogy View Post
    No, I am going to disagree. This is the problem, them thinking they had the situation under control.
    They did not think...Some of them are fools, yes fools. Maybe I am dense but I can not see it any other way. They broke the most basic rules of firearm safety.
    oldogy

Ahh, so you "think" you have everything under perfect control? Good luck in that mindset!

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Those are scary and heartbreaking storys that didn't need to happen...

Except this one:
    ========================
    Kokomo Indiana--A thug shot himself in the balls after robbing a convenience store of cash and cigarettes. While the cashier bagged his loot, the thug pulled a Lee Paige while shoving his semi-automatic handgun into his britches. The slug pierced one testicle free of charge, and then lodged in the unfortunate criminal's leg. The criminal exclaimed that he shot himself and ran out of the store.

Coincidentally, less an hour later, police received a call concerning a man who had been shot nearby. 25 year old Derrick Kosch claims he was just minding his own bidness, concentrating on truckin' right, when a dark voice beside him tried to rob him......and in the ensuing battle, Kosch was shot in the groin, and the leg.

Kosch was arrested on robbery and criminal recklessness charges. Police say they are still searching for the gun. Kosch is still hoping they find his right nut.
    ========================
    Some times an ND can be a good thing
    yup, that's just poetic justice in action right there.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links