Guy left car running at Convenience store

This is a discussion on Guy left car running at Convenience store within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; McALLEN — A man is hospitalized with "very serious" leg injuries after he clung onto the front of his car during an alleged theft that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guy left car running at Convenience store

Guy left car running at Convenience store

McALLEN — A man is hospitalized with "very serious" leg injuries after he clung onto the front of his car during an alleged theft that ended with a smoky crash early Monday morning, police said.

The theft occurred outside a Stripes convenience store about 5 a.m. Monday, said McAllen Police Chief Victor Rodriguez.

A man and a boy took the vehicle, which was left running outside the store at Maple Avenue and N. 23rd Street, police said.

The vehicle's owner exited the store and apparently tried to stop the alleged thieves by clinging onto the hood as they drove off, police said.

The man drove the vehicle several blocks before crashing it into a fence, police said. The impact caused the vehicle to burst into flames. The vehicle's owner suffered severe leg injuries and was rushed to an area hospital, Rodriguez said.

Happened in Tx,I personally think the vehicle owner should be charged,with the amount of crime and stolen vehicles down here and the fact most Illegal drug shipments are transported in stolen vehicles.This guy is stupid for leaving his car running and really stupid for risking his life by jumping on the hood thinking the perps would just stop
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    [QUOTE=dukalmighty;1476330]Happened in Tx,I personally think the vehicle owner should be charged,with the amount of crime and stolen vehicles down here and the fact most Illegal drug shipments are transported in stolen vehicles./QUOTE]

More and more places are staring to hand out stiff fines for leaving a running vehicle unattended. In my area I think it's $100 for leaving your vehicle running unattended in your driveway!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I live in "The Sticks" here in Texas, and it is a common practice to leave the engine running at the local quick stop around here.

But, since I used to work in the Metromess, I can't bring myself to follow that practice.
    It was colder than a witches hinney in a water well here yesterday and I observed 2 cars parked outside my local convenience store with the engines running and no one in them.

My truck was cold and I thought about leaving it running to get the heater going while I went inside, but since my Truck looked better than both of those old cars I decided it would be my luck a thief would take mine before those nasty junkers.

But still, MCALLEN? It's like what, spitting distance from Mexico????
    Sounds like the guy wanted to be a Darwin Winner to me.
    Stuff Legends and Folk Lore are made of.

I have an old Police Interceptor that has the switch that lets you take your keys out but keep your car running. I use it all the time. When I get another car I'll probably rig up the same kind of system.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    I have an old Police Interceptor that has the switch that lets you take your keys out but keep your car running. I use it all the time. When I get another car I'll probably rig up the same kind of system.
    Thats not a bad idea... could they still ticket you for it? If your area does that kind of thing...
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we can’t allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Ticketing somebody for leaving his car running makes as much sense as outlawing plastic baggies because dealers use them to package drugs. The criminal is the person who stole the car, period. Leaving your house door unlocked, likewise, does not constitute "burglary" if your house gets broken into.

Outlawing normal behavior because it in some way "facilitates" criminals is the same thinking behind almost all gun control.

And I, too, can lock my car without a key in it while it's running. Very convenient.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt58 View Post
    I live in "The Sticks" here in Texas, and it is a common practice to leave the engine running at the local quick stop around here.
    yah? but most folks are smart enough not to try and wrestle a moving car.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFreeman View Post
    Thats not a bad idea... could they still ticket you for it? If your area does that kind of thing...
    I imagine it is possible but I don't think so. Because the doors are locked and when I remove the key the steering column is locked. It's the same principle as Remote Start.

It is a law in my area but I haven't read the Law. I imagine there's a provision for remote start.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Actually in this part of Texas (I am from Penitas/Palmview/La Joya) even if your doors are locked and you have a spare you will still catch a ticket, car jackings in this area are actually real common. A few friends have had their cars (mostly trucks) stolen and someone tried it once on my truck (01 Supercrew 4x4 V8) a popular truck to steal because its more common in this area as well.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

The days of leaving your car running and unlocked have long passed.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    The only place you ever see my truck running without me in it, is in my driveway, locked, behind a locked gate, guarded by 130 pounds of fur-covered bad attitude and usually a police cruiser parked blocking the bottom of the driveway. A buddy of mine usually gets a coffee break about the same time I warm the truck up in the morning and if he's not busy he drinks the coffee parked out front.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Ticketing somebody for leaving his car running makes as much sense as outlawing plastic baggies because dealers use them to package drugs. The criminal is the person who stole the car, period. Leaving your house door unlocked, likewise, does not constitute "burglary" if your house gets broken into.

Outlawing normal behavior because it in some way "facilitates" criminals is the same thinking behind almost all gun control.

And I, too, can lock my car without a key in it while it's running. Very convenient.
    Can't argue with that.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

A remote start allow one to start his/her car without the key in the ignition...cannot be driven away.

Jumping on the hood of a moving car, yours or someone else's is not real bright...

I'm not excusing the dirtbag who took the car.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Extra remote entry control allows the car to run in the driveway to warm up and stay locked. She never leaves it running anywhere else though and I can't get anyone to steal my truck, they leave me money to get it fixed
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Why would a person leave the engine running toward a stop at a Quick Mart, which implies they are going to run in and run out...Which means the cars heater core and engine coolant (which provides the heat) will be well hot enough to maintain heating capability once they re-enter and restart the vehicle.

Also why do people go leaping on car hoods and grabbing hold of vehicle doors and such anyway?
    Do they seriously think they'll stop the vehicle that way?
    When have you ever heard in life that method actually working for some person...Outside of TV & movies?

Stupid.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links