Texas Woman shot in carjacking in "safe" neighborhood

This is a discussion on Texas Woman shot in carjacking in "safe" neighborhood within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I mainly posted this story because it happened in my neck of the woods, and I was in the area while the carjacking suspect was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I mainly posted this story because it happened in my neck of the woods, and I was in the area while the carjacking suspect was on the loose.

Deputies: Woman shot during carjacking attempt at The Woodlands Mall - 2/04/10 - Houston News - abc13.com

THE WOODLANDS, TX (KTRK) -- A woman was shot during a carjacking attempt at The Woodlands Mall this morning, deputies say.

According to Montgomery County sheriff's deputies, when a Spring woman arrived at the mall at around 10:45am, a suspected carjacker jumped into her back seat. There was reportedly a scuffle and the woman ended up shot in the leg.

Deputies say the suspect fled on foot from the mall and was caught lying in weeds about 30 minutes later near an I-45 overpass. Investigators say the suspect didn't have any identification, and isn't giving authorities his name. Investigators have not found a weapon.

The victim was taken to a hospital in The Woodlands and is expected to be OK.

We're gathering more details and will post them here as we get them. We'll also have complete coverage beginning today on Eyewitness News at 4pm.

(Copyright ©2010 KTRK-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
    My father and I were out running an errand in The Woodlands Mall area this morning, and we noticed two news helicopters arrive and at least 5 LEO vehicles enter the area while we were there. We decided to leave because it didn't feel like a response for a car accident. Not knowing what dangers might be present, we left, figuring we could always return later.

Now The Woodlands is a township, so if it is not rated on a city list when it comes to crime statistics. Those that know the area are aware, that The Woodlands is perceived to be about as "safe" as it gets. I am always careful in parking lots (and all other places), making sure I avoid getting myself into threatening scenarios like this . . . and this news is just more evidence to stay alert.

Anytime, anywhere! My prayers are with the victim for a speedy recovery.
    Glock 26 w/ CTAC IWB

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" - Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I'm over on the NE side but I visit the Woodlands quite often and used to work at a lot of the schools for my last job. I rarely hear about crime in that part of town but it doesn't surprise me. Why go car-jacking in 5th ward or by Homestead?

Dirtbags don't have 'boundaries', and probably prefer the nice areas to get the 'goodies'.
    Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Dirtbags don't have 'boundaries', and probably prefer the nice areas to get the 'goodies'.
    I agree with this wholeheartedly.

EVERYTIME, I walk into a parking lot in The Woodlands, I always see at least one person just gabbing away on their cell-phone totally oblivious to their surroundings, while their hands are taken up by too many shopping bags.

If I was a Houston criminal, I would commute up into areas like these, because nobody has real world smarts, and everyone has their guard down.

Lets hope that this story wakes up some of my fellow neighbors, and people pull their heads out of their and start paying attention to the real world.
    Glock 26 w/ CTAC IWB

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    This is why I always tell my wife to watch who's around when she pulls in, park in a lighted area, and keep the doors locked anytime you are in the car. Sometimes she listens, but usually I just get the "you're being paraniod again" eye roll.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member
    Not surprised. Plenty of vulnerable people, quick access to I -45 for a getaway. Lots of opportunity for a BG to disappear into the crowds. Very many stores in which the BG can "vanish" after doing his thing.

It is a really nice place and a nice mall, but (fortunately for me) it is a bit too far away for Mrs. Hopyard to insist I take her there.

Are they joking ? What, you think someone is going to hijack a clunker blowing smoke in a bad neighborhood ? NO !!! They'll go for the Cadillac Escalade, etc. to look coooool.

Geez...good thing she was in a safe neighborhood. Otherwise she might be dead. I guess "safe" means their aim is off.

But, things like this help me convince LOML to keep her doors locked, stay awake at the switch, avoid night ATM's, etc. She doesn't "like" guns (I know, they are inanimate objects) but at least is not unhappy with it being on my side of the bed. She finally even understood why I kept it loaded

My wife usually goes with my daughter to go shopping at the Woodlands mall after seeing Deerbrook mall go to the dumps thanks to the katrina crowd. I might have to change the rules about her going alone without me or her other friends.

Here are some Urban Legends for this piece.

"Give the robber what they want and you won't get hurt!"

"If you are armed, you will only shoot yourself if confronted!"

and last but not least......

"We live in a safe neighborhood!"
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    a safe neighborhood, eh?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I've never seen a safe neighborhood. Do they have signs? Exactly what qualities are incorporated into this 'safe' shangri la? How do I start one?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I've never seen a safe neighborhood. Do they have signs?
    Do they have signs? Yes they do. In downtown Minneapolis, the Mayor demanded that signs be put up that say "Safe Zone".

I swear I am not making this up.

A couple years ago there was a rash of murders perpetrated by "urban gentlemen" (ahem) against the well dressed types that go downtown to see Operas and other pricey shows. On their way back to their car they get robbed and shot.

So they put up signs. "Safe Zone". Problem solved.

Welcome to Minneapolis Safe Zone
    Last edited by lance22; February 6th, 2010 at 11:33 PM.

Just to clear something up, when I put the word "safe" in quotations earlier, I was hoping that it would be picked up that I was being sardonic.

I am like most on the forums here, that I do not believe that any area is completely safe, like the good people running The Woodlands want you to believe.
    Glock 26 w/ CTAC IWB

Clouded view: we live in a "good" neighborhood, or a "good" part of town.

Realistic view: the "good" parts of town are where the good stuff is.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links