Local Cop Advocates Shooting Law Abiding Citizens - Merged 2x

Local Cop Advocates Shooting Law Abiding Citizens - Merged 2x

This is a discussion on Local Cop Advocates Shooting Law Abiding Citizens - Merged 2x within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I found this while perusing Bay Area Open Carry's Facebook group this morning... Kevin Thomason's "Oaklander": Local Cop Advocates Shooting Law Abiding Gun Owners In ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
  1. #1
    Senior Member Array gdm320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    571

    Local Cop Advocates Shooting Law Abiding Citizens - Merged 2x

    I found this while perusing Bay Area Open Carry's Facebook group this morning...

    Kevin Thomason's "Oaklander": Local Cop Advocates Shooting Law Abiding Gun Owners In The Back (On Facebook)!

    "East Palo Alto, CA Detective Roderick Tuason didn't realize that actual PRO-GUN people also read Facebook. Amazingly, he posted the following comment about law abiding gun owners on a friend's page. Basically, he's saying "prone them out" (on the ground), and if anyone moves, kill them."



    Quite something really. A Police Detective, who is allegedly upholding the rule of law, thinks a paid vacation is in order when you murder a private citizen while they are legally exercising their rights.

    All I can say is "wow". Maybe we'll get lucky and it will end his career.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley


  2. #2
    Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere near Nashville
    Posts
    1,271
    I can't believe he would post that. Looks like a good link to kick up his chain of command.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

  3. #3
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,903
    Hmm. Interesting.

    Should be babbling on Facebook? No. Did he say anything wrong? Nope. He is illustrating reality. He didn't suggest the police should shoot somebody for carrying a gun. He said they would likely be shot if they made a furtive movement. Like it or not, that is a very real possiblity on many areas of the country.
    If you read the entire conversation, it is actually banter going back and forth between two people who actually know each other, and probably have a lot more understanding of their conversation than what strangers ever would over the internet. Especially when the complete conversation isn't there, and there are people who see and read what they want to, regardless of personal history and what is actually written.

    Furthermore, is he registered as Det. Tauson of E. Palo Alto? No. He is registered as Rod Tauson. He is entitled to his personal opinions like anyone else is. (But yeah, he was stupid to post stuff like that)
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 9th, 2010 at 12:27 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  4. #4
    Senior Member Array jeephipwr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Triangle, NC
    Posts
    610
    If he ever gets involved in an Officer-Involved shooting, you can bet the Plaintiff will get copies of that post and eat him alive in depostitions and trial

  5. #5
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,903
    Quote Originally Posted by jeephipwr View Post
    If he ever gets involved in an Officer-Involved shooting, you can bet the Plaintiff will get copies of that post and eat him alive in depostitions and trial
    Absolutely.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  6. #6
    Senior Moderator
    Array MattInFla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,857
    I'm amazed that after all the public safety sector episodes with email and messaging, there are still LEOs and firefighters that don't get this.

    We just had another issue here locally with two officers exchanging messages between their in-car computers with inappropriate content.

    You'd think by now the word would be out.....
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Array gdm320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    571
    Absolutely he's entitled to his personal opinion, but an LEO (and a Detective at that) you really can't be throwing stuff like that out there. Very bad idea.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

  8. #8
    Member Array RXtion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    51
    Perfect example of someone who has no business ever having a badge and a service weapon.

  9. #9
    VIP Member
    Array sigmanluke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,209
    Inappropriate? Yes
    Stupid? Yes

    As SIXTO said, we don't have the whole conversation, or the context.

    Many of you would be surprised at what goes on between in-car computers, I know I am.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

  10. #10
    New Member Array RayRay40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    11
    That DET. Is compensating for his tiny short-commings. (Looser)....

  11. #11
    Senior Member Array gdm320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    571
    Looks like the story managed to reach the local news media.

    East Palo Alto cop takes heat for Facebook remarks - ContraCostaTimes.com
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

  12. #12
    VIP Member Array chiefjason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Posts
    2,782
    I understand that there are "dangers" associated with OC if you run into an uneducated LEO. I'll take that risk to express my rights and further the idea that normal folks carry guns daily. What bugs me the most is the comment about CC. Basically the Dept does not allow "just anyone" to get a CCP permit. And then they wonder why folks choose to OC. Maybe they should loosen up their stupid restrictions and they might find that folks would rather CC a loaded gun than OC an unloaded one and hey, maybe that crime rate will go down too. Ridiculous!

  13. #13
    Senior Member Array Rob P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In the sticks
    Posts
    631
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Hmm. Interesting.

    Should be babbling on Facebook? No. Did he say anything wrong? Nope. He is illustrating reality. He didn't suggest the police should shoot somebody for carrying a gun. He said they would likely be shot if they made a furtive movement. Like it or not, that is a very real possiblity on many areas of the country.
    If you read the entire conversation, it is actually banter going back and forth between two people who actually know each other, and probably have a lot more understanding of their conversation than what strangers ever would over the internet. Especially when the complete conversation isn't there, and there are people who see and read what they want to, regardless of personal history and what is actually written.

    Furthermore, is he registered as Det. Tauson of E. Palo Alto? No. He is registered as Rod Tauson. He is entitled to his personal opinions like anyone else is. (But yeah, he was stupid to post stuff like that)
    The problem isn't that he has rights to say what he wants to as a private person. Or that we do or don't have the whole conversation and/or context.

    THE PROBLEM is that by the comments posted, it appears that this detective has an attitude and that he believes that HE is entitled to be above the law while preventing others from exercising their rights upon threat of death.

    He is either making these comments out of glee that he is LEO and citizens who exercise their rights are subject to his whims regardless of what the law says; or, that the comments reflect his intent to eventually kill someone. Either way, his attitude shows that he does not belong wearing a badge. Even an apology will not cleanse his attitude or demeanor. Only future actions can do that. The question is: Can the dept and the citizens risk it?

  14. #14
    VIP Member Array Stevew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    3,419
    At least has stopped crime in East Palo Alto. Not!
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

  15. #15
    Senior Member Array Moga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    The problem isn't that he has rights to say what he wants to as a private person. Or that we do or don't have the whole conversation and/or context.

    THE PROBLEM is that by the comments posted, it appears that this detective has an attitude and that he believes that HE is entitled to be above the law while preventing others from exercising their rights upon threat of death.

    He is either making these comments out of glee that he is LEO and citizens who exercise their rights are subject to his whims regardless of what the law says; or, that the comments reflect his intent to eventually kill someone. Either way, his attitude shows that he does not belong wearing a badge. Even an apology will not cleanse his attitude or demeanor. Only future actions can do that. The question is: Can the dept and the citizens risk it?
    I am a strong supporter of LE but this is clearly over the line. You saved me the keystrokes to type it. Thanks.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. California police detective advocates shooting of open carrying citizens.
    By Smokesignals in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 14th, 2010, 02:02 PM
  2. Editiorial on Walmart Shooting: Case clearly separates criminal mind from law abiding
    By JonInNY in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: June 7th, 2009, 01:35 PM
  3. Local Shooting
    By DaveH in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 30th, 2008, 10:32 AM
  4. Law-abiding citizens
    By obxned in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 12th, 2007, 08:53 PM

Search tags for this page

officer involved shooting east palo alto,ca

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors