Quick! We Need Legislation Banning Pencils In Schools!

This is a discussion on Quick! We Need Legislation Banning Pencils In Schools! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It was probably black and has high lead capacity! We need to eliminate those dangerous pencils. This kid apparetly disreguarded the "no assault pencil" clause ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick! We Need Legislation Banning Pencils In Schools!

Exclamation Quick! We Need Legislation Banning Pencils In Schools!

It was probably black and has high lead capacity!

We need to eliminate those dangerous pencils. This kid apparetly disreguarded the "no assault pencil" clause in the school rules.

A couple of years in the penitentary will teach him, huh?

NY boy, 11, faces charges over pencil attack

SAUQUOIT, N.Y. (AP) -- An 11-year-old boy faces assault and weapon charges for trying to stab a classmate with a pencil over a math problem. Police in New Hartford, 80 miles west of Albany, said the boy was mad because a classmate kept trying to help him in math class on Monday. When the would-be helper wouldn't back off, police said the boy lashed out with a sharp pencil and inflicted a scratch treated by the school nurse.

Officer Shane Yoxall, working as a resource officer at the Sauquoit Valley Middle School, investigated. The 11-year-old, whose name wasn't released, was suspended from school and charged with felony attempted assault and misdemeanor criminal possession of a weapon.

He must report to Oneida County probation officials on Feb. 23.
    Herald-Dispatch AP Coverage
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

I got stabbed 3 or 4 times with a pencil while in school. I still carry a piece of "lead" from one in my hand right now and its been 30 plus years since it happened.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Wood pencils are just for sporting purposes...everybody knows that.

A mechanical pencil with refillable lead? Everybody knows that those are assault pencils and are only made for one thing!
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

These kinds of actions on the part of "the authorities" are so over the top they defy belief. Back in my time, a teacher would've taken the student out in the hall and slapped him around a bit and the incident would've been over with. I guess that's a no-no nowadays. I also guess I'm showing my age.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    misdemeanor criminal possession of a weapon
    Owww my head hurts.... since when is a pencil a weapon?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Since it's used as one,anything can be used as a weapon,whether its thrown or used to stab or hit with
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

"The pen[cil] is mightier than the sword"

Sorry guys, I couldnt resist.
    "Surely the preservation and enjoyment of the freedoms vouchsafed to us by the Constitution of the United States will require eternal vigilance even to the guarding of it with our lives. We must ever keep faith with our founding fathers by keeping faith with our Constitution."

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Since it's used as one,anything can be used as a weapon,whether its thrown or used to stab or hit with
    again it doesn't make a lot of sense... that means if someone uses car keys to stab someone I would be in possession of a weapon since I have car keys also?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Just ban 'em. Problem solved. They just draw pictures of guns with 'em anyway.

Let's just hope no one pokes somebody in the eye with a finger.

Then we'll all have to turn in our fingers or be required to have them registered. And how old will a person have to be, to qualify for a finger permit? Wonder what kind of permit the Government will make us get for having loaded didgets?
    I can see it now, no more gloves or pockets as that makes them concealed weapons. Everyone will have to open carry, after proper background checks of course!

I saw we bring back Corporal Punishment and quit spoiling these children with actions without consequences.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I'm not sure what to say, but... "WOW!"

Wait, more just came to me... .

They finaly did it! How many times have we said these exact words when they start putting restrictions on weapons? Well, what if I grab a "_____" and attack someone with it? We should ban all "______"
    I know for sure that I have used pencil to fill in that blank many times, and the Liberals all say "oh, you right wing nuts are always exagerating. we only want to make common sense rules to protect us. We would never go that far or be that ludicrous."

Well, now they have. So from now on when they say "that will never happen" or "it could never go that far" just remember the pencil.
    Walk softly ...

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeephipwr View Post
    I got stabbed 3 or 4 times with a pencil while in school. I still carry a piece of "lead" from one in my hand right now and its been 30 plus years since it happened.
    Me, too, though it was the left hand, and it's been considerably longer than thirty years.

But, going into attorney-mode, here, I take the position that a failure to enforce the law in public schools is a big reason why I make the big bucks on defense after they get out of school. What that kid did was battery, a class one misdemeanor in Virginia, and if he were an adult, it would be punishable by up to twelve months in jail plus a twenty-five hundred dollar fine, either or both, plus legal fees, plus court costs. Teach 'em while they're young or pay for their imprisonment after they get older.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

VIP Member

re: user;1493359]

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Me, too, though it was the left hand, and it's been considerably longer than thirty years.

But, going into attorney-mode, here, What that kid did was battery, a class one misdemeanor in Virginia, and if he were an adult, it would be punishable by up to twelve months in jail
    Yes, but he is NOT an adult. This is the type of incident which has until very recently been handled exclusively by school officials in various ways. Bringing these incidents into the criminal justice realm, even though it will be the juvenile system, is going over the top. It is an abdication of the responsibility of school officials to act responsibly for the welfare of all the children. Children do childish stupid things because they aren't tiny adults. You don't call the cops for each and every incident you possibly can. Schools have long had plenty of ways to discipline kids. Everything from paddling in some states, to "sit in the principal's office" to suspension, to assignment to special schools. That's the way it should remain except for the extremely serious offenses.

ANd then, this is charged in an outrageous manner. NO sense.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Thats the same thing I ask cops when I ask knife questions.

Honestly truthfully, I am more likely to stab someone with a pencil than I am with my knife, only because I dont have to sharpen it afterwards.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

If that smart ass kid just left him alone and stopped antagonizing him this would have never had happened lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links