MASS Police: Man with weapons cache was preparing for 'Armageddon'

This is a discussion on MASS Police: Man with weapons cache was preparing for 'Armageddon' within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A Manchester-by-the-Sea man who allegedly had a cache of weapons in his home told police he was preparing for Armageddon, authorities said. Gregory D. Girard ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MASS Police: Man with weapons cache was preparing for 'Armageddon'

MASS Police: Man with weapons cache was preparing for 'Armageddon'

A Manchester-by-the-Sea man who allegedly had a cache of weapons in his home told police he was preparing for Armageddon, authorities said.

Gregory D. Girard

Gregory D. Girard, 45, was arrested Tuesday night for allegedly storing several tear gas grenades and explosive pepper ball projectiles. He was also charged with the illegal possession of four police batons.

Just before 11:30 p.m. Tuesday, Manchester-by-the Sea police executed a search warrant at 23 Bridge St., police said in a statement. Girard faces four counts of possession of an infernal device and four counts of possession of a dangerous weapon. Additional charges are pending, police said.

“He indicated to police that he anticipated some form of Armageddon to take place shortly and he was getting prepared,” Police Chief Glenn McKiel said.

In addition to the grenade-type devices, police found approximately 20 weapons, including high-powered rifles, shotguns, and handguns. All of the firearms were purchased and registered legally within the past 10 months, McKiel said.

Girard, a computer consultant, had a Class A license, which enabled him to purchase large-capacity firearms. According to police, he was granted the permit without question.

“He did not have a criminal record and there was no indication at the time [the permit] was issued that he shouldn’t have one,” McKiel said.

McKiel added police are not allowed to ask applicants why they are seeking a firearms permit.

Police also found a large collection of camouflage clothing, knives, bulletproof vests, helmets, and eight pairs of handcuffs in Girard’s home. They also discovered stockpiles of medicine and non-perishable foods. An illegal indoor shooting range was also found in the attic, police said.

Police seized all the weapons and ammunition and revoked Girard’s license to carry firearms.

Tactical officers evacuated two other condominium units in Girard's building and brought residents to the police department while the search was completed.

Salem District Court Judge Richard Mori ordered Girard held without bail after he pleaded not guilty at his arraignment this morning. Mori slated a dangerousness hearing for Feb. 12.

http://www.boston.coml
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

2. Remove Ads

Everythings illegal in Mass. - Mel Gibson said so in the movie and now I believe it.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    Everythings illegal in Mass. - Mel Gibson said so in the movie and now I believe it.
    Heheh... I saw the movie too and was thinking the same thing. LOL

Illegal possession of police batons?
    There are laws against sticks there?
    I am just speechless..............
    Heck in Texas I can have a variety of "illegal" weapons as long as I keep them at home. And this guy can't have sticks in his house?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

It is unlawful to posses a sling shot here too.
    I kid you not.

As to the police baton they are likely referring to the collapsible type _modern_) baton as by Monadnock or ASP, not the old school chair leg and 'Billy Club' that beat cops used to wear and swing as back in the days when the po-po would give out wood shampoos.

I wonder though what was the item/event that caused him to be investigated to start as basis for the warrant. Dude had to have been narcd on.
    It is not unlawful in MA to have a junky house, yet.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I wonder though what was the item/event that caused him to be investigated to start as basis for the warrant.
    I'm guessing it was the shooting range In his attic. The article stated he lived In a Condo and that attic may have been a common space with other homeowners.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I wonder though what was the item/event that caused him to be investigated to start as basis for the warrant. Dude had to have been narcd on.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I'm guessing it was the shooting range In his attic. The article stated he lived In a Condo and that attic may have been a common space with other homeowners.
    That was my first question and first thought as to an answer. I imagine not many people can brag about being charged with anything to to with an "infernal device".
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

OK....ummm....what did he do to garner the interest of LE?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Moderator
    In addition to the grenade-type devices, police found approximately 20 weapons, including high-powered rifles, shotguns, and handguns. All of the firearms were purchased and registered legally within the past 10 months, McKiel said.
    In this part of the country, that isnt even considered a good start.

Its funny how things are percieved in the North.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    In this part of the country, that isnt even considered a good start.

Its funny how things are percieved in the North.
    I was thinking the same thing. Curious as to how he got himself in the spotlight to begin with though. Although, he does sound like he may have a screw or two loose...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

jon
    I, too, wonder what got LE involved in the first place.
    I didn't know batons were "unlawful" here...though not surprised.
    Gotta love MA.

I would guess that along with a cache of weapons, he probably also had a big mouth...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Probably the shooting range.

I will agree that the shooting range may have been too far in an urban environment.

But the guns are his GOD GIVEN RIGHT!!!
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

cj
    Mass. laws are funky...a relative passed away there (who was a strong NRA supporter) and I tried to help sort out their various laws about firearms (which no one was sure he actually had left or not) and how they would transfer ownership in the circumstances. The real problem will be if we find them in a few years, in which case quietly removing them from the state might be the only trouble-free recourse.

As for batons...I'm not sure how many laws I inadvertently broke moving to California with items that never came out of a drawer...ceramic knives, a 12-round magazine, an ASP. Guess Cali's a safer place now that I'm gone, and as odd as this story is, I think Mass. might be a little safer without someone who feels that an attic is the place for a home-brew shooting range (of course, in Mass. it might have been an airsoft target or something to cause all this trouble).

"Preparing for Armageddon", never heard of such a crazy idea!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links