Seattle Bus Station beating, Security "Observe and Report"

This is a discussion on Seattle Bus Station beating, Security "Observe and Report" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Imagine thinking to yourself that your stinking $9.00 per hour job was more important than a young person's life... my gawd!...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Seattle Bus Station beating, Security "Observe and Report"

VIP Member
    Imagine thinking to yourself that your stinking $9.00 per hour job was more important than a young person's life... my gawd!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    This is a very valid point.
    One possible answer is some form of security guard certification program which would confer on them some real powers-- at least if they witness a crime in progress.

It shouldn't be that difficult to create a state law that basically allows any peace officer (city, state, county, state or Federal) or lawfully credentialed private security guard to legally intervene in ongoing witnessed criminal events.

And in this situation we are discussing, a "good Samaritan law" could be put in place to protect an individual who makes a good faith effort at intervention; just as we have Good Samaritan laws for medical emergencies.
    ^^This
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    Where is their humanity? They just stood there feet from this and were probably cracking jokes too..
    We are becoming "Eloi" and it's starting in Seattle

"Brains before Bullets"

That video was hard to watch. If I were in that position I would have stopped the abuse. One just has to look at the situation, the victim is clearly getting the sh*t kicked out of her.
    Just stand by and call police, well why hire security! With those orders any citizen would stand by and call police!
    Everyday, I see abuse and everyday I think to myself " it sure seems to pay off being the BG'. I mean look at our country, the big companies get away with batant abuse, making HUGE profits, and we just have to do as they want. Really, look around we have to do something different. Take action remember WE THE PEOPLE do not forget!!!

"It ain't my job and I don't want the hassle of getting involved and filling out the paperwork, not for nine dollars an hour! Let the cops stop them without stomping them.": My imaginary quote for security guards.

Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    Then let's have the SG union come out and publicly say "hey, we're just here for eye candy. I might have the word "security" on my clothes, but it's really just a bluff. I'm just standing here on the off-chance someone who really wants to beat the crap out of you is intimidated by goateed, overweight guys wearing shirts that say "SECURITY."

If you don't want to help, don't take a job that might actually require you to help. It ain't rocket science. For anyone to quibble over this is pathetic. If you don't want to actually provide "security," don't take a job as "security" guard. Or wear a shirt that says "I'm just here to take up space and taxpayer dollars."

How about the transit authority or the city coming out and just admitting that they were too cheap to contract for the kind of services they had let the public believe was being provided? It is not the security guards fault if someone has created unreasonable expectations in someones mind. It is not their obligation to live up to those unreasonable expectations. All they are obligated to do is live up to their contract. Like they say, observe and report. They saw what happened and they called the police. If the city wants cops there, they either need to detail them or have the transit people pony up $40 per man hour and hire some officers to come in on their own time.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Well, this is what we have got, stopping people, including security guards, from being wannabe part-time civilian cops, afraid to get involved or risk their time or their lives to even testify in court, of course. Afraid of being fired or sued, letting the feral animals and predators prey at will and without fear of any or many real consequences.

The solution is simple!

STOP calling them "SECURITY GUARDS" and call them what they really are. "WARM FUZZY PATROL".

Security Guard has a connotation of empowerment to prevent something.

What I wonder is, if I had wandered upon this scene and waded in there and started seriously stopping this attack while they witnessed, what would the "Security Guards" want me charged with?
    False Imprisonment or Assault with Intent?
    Or maybe Public Brandishing of a Deadly Weapon?

I'm all for creating a "Good Samaritan" Law to protect those who feel Morally Compelled to intervene.

Eloi, that's a good analogy!

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Playing devil's advocate here:

If the guards had intervened and a lawsuit was filed as a result of their actions,
    not only would the guards have been fired for bucking company policy, but they
    would also open themselves up to civil litigation from their former employer!

I ain't sayin' it's right, but that's the world we live in.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

I think the video makes it look like the victim was beaten a lot worse than she actually was. I saw her being interviewed and she didn't have a mark on her. Plus, she has hired not one, but two attorneys. I think it may be a ploy for some grifters to make some money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride4TheBrand View Post
    Playing devil's advocate here:

If the guards had intervened and a lawsuit was filed as a result of their actions,
    not only would the guards have been fired for bucking company policy, but they
    would also open themselves up to civil litigation from their former employer!

I ain't sayin' it's right, but that's the world we live in.
    True, but had this been a fiery vehicle accident and they got involved and say had to amputate a limb with a pocket knife to save the girls life, they would have been covered under the Good Samaritan Law from Litigation.

How is it we can't give people the same protection from the backlash of helping someone being beaten to a possible vegatative or fatal physcial state from these situations?

I have a hard time believing these guys didn't want to get involved.
    They showed some real restraint! Something I would have had a hard time with.

A video update featuring the teen victim as in her own words;

Exclusive: Beating Victim Says Guards Failed Three Times - ABC News

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by alfack View Post
    I think the video makes it look like the victim was beaten a lot worse than she actually was. I saw her being interviewed and she didn't have a mark on her. Plus, she has hired not one, but two attorneys. I think it may be a ploy for some grifters to make some money.
    Some people bruise very easily while others hardly at all.
    I'd play paintball all day in the summer wearing shorts and just a t-short or on very hot August days no shirt at all.
    Across eight years of active weekly 10 mos. a year play as a semi-pro level ('Amateur A') competitor and in multi-day per week scrimmages I could probably count on one hand how many bruises and welts I'd developed. While my fellow team mates and scrimmage partners some of them would develop bruises and welts just by saying the words.

To that end alone there is different physiological response.

In professional boxing matches winners and losers often time come out of the ring not sporting blackened eyes or bleeding of the face if even being visibly swollen and bruised.
    That does not mean that they did not see a fight or get hit hard.

Watch the video.

This girl took a beating and at that she had patches of her hair _pulled_ out as has been widely reported.
    She doesn't have to have a black eye, broken blood vessels in the eye or a swollen face and loose teeth to have taken a beating.
    As well she was as shown on video kicked and stomped in the head too. With shoes...That were not worn by a clown.

She and her family have every right to seek counseling and having two attorneys as rather than one means nothing.
    she may have retained a practice which in turn them self assigned a duo of attorneys as a prime/lead and a secondary for support. Not exactly unusual.
    They should retain an attorney(s) and they should act as they have.
    I would if this were me or my daughter (!), and I'd be with purposeful intent on every and news show that would have me to make public note that these so called security persons in costume dress actually provide no functional purpose as related to security for the public.

To refer to the victim, and her mother, as being "grifters" is a tremendous insult relative to what that term means and has been applied to persons of actual guilt for same.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Whatever. The girl who attacked her also said the the "victim" had repeatedly maced the attacker on previous occasions.

I'm not saying this makes anything right, just that there is more to this than the dramatic video you see on TV.

It reminds me of when my brother would punch me, then run to my dad saying I punched him. Then, when my dad was at work the next day I would exact revenge. Believe me, we inflicted worse beatings on each other than what that girl endured.

Quote Originally Posted by alfack View Post
    Whatever. The girl who attacked her also said the the "victim" had repeatedly maced the attacker on previous occasions.

I'm not saying this makes anything right, just that there is more to this than the dramatic video you see on TV.
    Then the girl allegedly maced, and her parent/guardian, should have a police report on record...And their own attorney.

Of course there is more to this than what is shown, because generally people don't run up on folk in front of security and police to beat on another as well as kick & stomp them in the head as for no reason/motivation.

But that does not make the victim to be a "grifter" and none of that has specific bearing on the subject of the reporting, which is the inaction by both the security persons (three) and the police officers (two) who witnessed the attack. None of them in the immediate knew anything about alleged mace activity as from a time and location past. That is immaterial conversation as related to the specifics of the event as recorded on video.

- Janq

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links