Seattle Bus Station beating, Security "Observe and Report" - Page 5

Seattle Bus Station beating, Security "Observe and Report"

This is a discussion on Seattle Bus Station beating, Security "Observe and Report" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; update: Victim in tunnel beating was charged in 2 attacks - News Story - KXLY Spokane SEATTLE (AP) -- A 15-year-old girl whose videotaped beating ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    update:

Victim in tunnel beating was charged in 2 attacks - News Story - KXLY Spokane

SEATTLE (AP) -- A 15-year-old girl whose videotaped beating in the Seattle bus tunnel has drawn a national outcry has herself been charged in two earlier attacks.

The Seattle Times reported Wednesday that Aiesha Steward-Baker was given a deferred sentence last September in King County Juvenile Court after she pleaded guilty to attempted second-degree robbery for hitting a security guard at a Seattle market in January 2009. Court papers say she punched the man in the head after he stopped her friend from shoplifting.

The newspaper also says Steward-Baker is one of two girls charged in a May 23 attack on a 50-year-old woman in suburban Edmonds. Her public defender in that case, Frederick Moll, said Wednesday the girl plans to plead guilty Monday in juvenile court to second-degree robbery. Snohomish County Deputy Prosecutor John Stansell says the second girl in that case has already pleaded guilty to the same charge.

In recent days, Steward-Baker has appeared at a news conference called by another lawyer and on Monday appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America" to discuss the Jan. 28 transit tunnel attack.
    She certainly seems to be no angel. I am glad to see she will be punished for her previous incidents.

Hopefully this gal and her attackers can get back on track!
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Would the security guards have been in violation of their contractual obligations if they had responded? Probably. If they had responded and nothing had come of it, could they possibly have been fired for doing so? Probably. Now...in my mind, I weigh those possibilities against being able to look at myself in the mirror; face my wife and daughter with any self-respect; and the ability to sleep at night with a clear conscience. Errrrrrrrrr....no contest!!!! Sometimes you just have to do the right thing, no matter what the potential costs.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    update:

Victim in tunnel beating was charged in 2 attacks - News Story - KXLY Spokane

She certainly seems to be no angel. I am glad to see she will be punished for her previous incidents.

Hopefully this gal and her attackers can get back on track!
    Ha! Live by the sword, die by the sword. I wonder if she watches "My Name is Earl?"

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    With regard to RCW 9A.16.110--- Sections 1 and 2 almost seem self-contradictory; but maybe I'm not reading them right.

In "1" it says, " No person in the state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever..." but then in "2" it proceeds as if someone was charged notwithstanding the apparent protection afforded by "1."

Worse, two portions within section 2 seem contradictory as well.

"the state of Washington shall reimburse the defendant for all reasonable costs, including loss of time, legal fees incurred, and other expenses involved in his or her defense." v "To award these reasonable costs the trier of fact must find that the defendant's claim of self-defense was sustained by a preponderance of the evidence."

In other words, you can be charged notwithstanding section 1, and if you are found not guilty, maybe the state of Washington will reimburse you if there is some sort of trial at which perhaps a jury finds by the preponderance of the evidence that you are entitled to reimbursement and then, a judge gets to determine the reimbursement.

That is all lots of big gamble for someone to intervene. I'm sure the legislature intended these to be helpful, but were I the employer of security guards, or a guard myself, these sections as written don't appear to offer adequate comfort.
    As I read it, the first part is pretty much a warning to the DA not to try to hang a citizen out to dry when it is a clear cut defense case. The second part is saying that if it isnt so clear and goes to court then they are to be reimbursed for their costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    So good men can be indifferent to evil if their job might be at risk? Just asking.
    But they weren't indifferent. They did everything they were allowed to do. They called the police. If they were indifferent they would have just watched or or walked away or maybe taken bets on the outcome.

Notice how their employer while expressing their disappointment never says anything about disciplining or retraining the involved employees? Notice how the city says nothing about breach of contract?
    Why is that?
    Because these guys did exactly what the city and their employer told them they are supposed to do. They did exactly what their employer pays them to do.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    They did exactly what their employer pays them to do.
    Copy. They put their job description above basic human decency. That's a choice everyone has to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    Copy. They put their job description above basic human decency. That's a choice everyone has to make.
    That's right. For some people it may be the choice between doing what is decent and putting food on the table. Not everyone has the luxury of living up to their moral standards. That's life in the big city.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

How much do those security guards make? It's all relative, but if your integrity is worth $10/hr, so be it. Granted, everyday in America there are people bought for $500+/hr, but I don't think living up to your own moral standards is the question. The question is whether you have 'em. If you do, no amount of money will compromise them. If you THINK you do, well, then you can be bought for $10/hr. That's life in any city, big or small.

Don't blame the guards!

They followed their training. Stepping in would have cost them their job. Who would have fed their families?

The client paid for an unarmed "observe & report" guard. They aren't paying for guards to get involved!

It is a no win situation!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links