BAD: Women murdered near UCF in broad daylight (BG with CWP) - Page 2

BAD: Women murdered near UCF in broad daylight (BG with CWP)

This is a discussion on BAD: Women murdered near UCF in broad daylight (BG with CWP) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Terrible tragedy. As others have said when someone is willing to sacrifice themselves for a goal they become a very difficult weapon to stop. The ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BAD: Women murdered near UCF in broad daylight (BG with CWP)

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Terrible tragedy. As others have said when someone is willing to sacrifice themselves for a goal they become a very difficult weapon to stop. The lone wolf's are the worst, since there's no group meetings or communications to track. This guy decided he was going to accomplish something even if it meant sacrificing his life.

I had no idea that (according to the article) getting restraining orders against stalkers is so difficult. Not knowing more about the situation I'm not commenting on it, but I personally take any threats against my family very seriously.
    Last edited by lacrosse50; February 12th, 2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: editing
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    Women are especially vulnerable to these loser type men. All the more reason for them to be armed. It is very sad for the lady and her family. I hope something good comes out of this.

Men don't get stalked as far as I know. At least in my experience. Although the other night this girl kept pounding on my bedroom door yelling open this door, open this door. I finally got sick of it and let her out.
    I have been stalked befor by a girl who was trying to get me to go over to "See her dads 55 belair"

Met her once at a restraunt (she was the waitress) the next time my buddys and I went (we shot pool every friday) she confessed her love to me (had met her for 30 minutes to an hour the first time we went) We hadnt even talked to her other than make our orders and a thank you on occasion. Scared the cr*p out of me.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

How sad is this?

“Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Sad and infuriating. I just wonder why the judge refused the restraint order and what must be going through his mind now.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I hate to see this kind of a thing happening to anyone, but she was old enough to have a permit...and a little snubbie would have been so much more effective than a court order.IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I have to agree with Retsupt here. The restraint order could have only done so much in protecting here, it should have been given anyways, but then the police have to be close enough to enforce it when he breaks it. A sad story indeed.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

RO is worth less than the paper it cost to print it on (just think how much that little paper would cost to produce). Money better spent on training, weapons, bullets, in this case.

I've been thinking about this. She gave him her email instead of a phone number. With the various internet sites these days (facebook, myspace, etc), the email probably gave him an easier means to stalk her than a phone number would have.... Dont give out your damn information.(period)

I notice how a few of you mentioned a firearm wouldnt have saved her. But can you deny the fact that a firearm AND training wouldnt have? After all, training should come with a firearm right fellas....
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Your tax dollars at work...
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    RO is worth less than the paper it cost to print it on (just think how much that little paper would cost to produce). Money better spent on training, weapons, bullets, in this case.
    RO is not worthless at all. There's no guaranteeing it will have any effect, but if issued early on you may be able to have the stalker arrested before it escalates into something disastrous. Carrying a weapon is no guarantee either as you can always be caught by surprise. Both are good to have. A RO gives you legal options while a weapon gives you last resort options.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    RO is not worthless at all. There's no guaranteeing it will have any effect, but if issued early on you may be able to have the stalker arrested before it escalates into something disastrous. Carrying a weapon is no guarantee either as you can always be caught by surprise. Both are good to have. A RO gives you legal options while a weapon gives you last resort options.
    mind if I ask, "have the stalker arrested before it escalates"
    arrested for what?

the police need to see the person violating the order to arrest them.
    or you need video. even then good luck with that.

I am of the opinion that a RO is a paper trail. it does NOTHING to help keep anyone safe. It is just another item in a string of things that can be used after the fact.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

It is truely sad. Once again our justice system failed to protect the innocent. Having a CCW may have been the answer, it sure could not have hurt. RO are just a piece of paper as far a security is concerned. Remember, the police are not required to protect us. They do their best, but remember when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

VIP Member
    I agree that she was going to get killed regardless of what she did. There is not much to be done when the perp runs up shooting.

If someone wants you bad enough, they will find a way to get you. The best thing you can do is invite them on the trip.

Distinguished Member
    72 page request for a restraining order, what was going on that needed 72 pages to explain.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

"A week before she died, Alissa Blanton tried to get an order of protection against a 61-year-old man she accused of bombarding her with profane e-mails, sitting outside her home and following her to her job in Orlando.
    Yet again, here we have another crystal clear example of how such "protection orders" are utterly misnamed. They should be called "provocation brands" for all the good they do, instead acting more like hot fire brands poked in the eye of would-be felons. The pretty little papers signed and dated by everyone from here to Thule don't protect anyone, least of all the dead targets whose names are on those papers.

Lesson #83: If you're seeking actual protection, then find something other than "protective papers." Why? Because Life is a real game of "Rock / Paper / Scissors." In that game, "paper" loses nearly every time.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links