BAD: Women murdered near UCF in broad daylight (BG with CWP)

This is a discussion on BAD: Women murdered near UCF in broad daylight (BG with CWP) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What could have saved this womens life? A judge with common sense possibly. A firearm would have been a better option for the woman. Technology-park-double-shooting ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BAD: Women murdered near UCF in broad daylight (BG with CWP)

BAD: Women murdered near UCF in broad daylight (BG with CWP)

What could have saved this womens life? A judge with common sense possibly. A firearm would have been a better option for the woman.

Technology-park-double-shooting

"A week before she died, Alissa Blanton tried to get an order of protection against a 61-year-old man she accused of bombarding her with profane e-mails, sitting outside her home and following her to her job in Orlando.

The 23-year-old newlywed from Cocoa was gunned down Monday at a business park near the University of Central Florida a place she hoped a Brevard County judge would make off-limits to the man she said had been tormenting her for two years."

Full story at the link provided, 2 pages.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

2. Remove Ads

From reading the reports, a firearm would have been useless too. Seems he walked up and shot multiple times without being noticed and before she could react. The best preventative measure would have to worked on observational skills.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    From reading the reports, a firearm would have been useless too. Seems he walked up and shot multiple times without being noticed and before she could react. The best preventative measure would have to worked on observational skills.
    She had enough time to call her husband and tell him that she was being followed by the stalker. I beleive that would have been enough time to realize the threat, if you paid attention to detail. She may have not realized the threat to her life, as she obviously didnt run away.... She died in right in front of her husband....
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Dial....vs....RUN....seems easy enough. But as schwaa pointed out, she likely did not realize that he was a threat to her life. A costly oversight if so. Very tragic and tough for me to read. A gun may have helped..but I have to assume that there's a 50/50 chance that AT&T has a no weapons policy.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    How did he get her email? Is there more to this story? Sad in any case.

I am wondering if he was stalking her why did the husband not do something? possibly kick his arse, file a report, catch him on his lawn and shoot him for "fear" or something.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Women are especially vulnerable to these loser type men. All the more reason for them to be armed. It is very sad for the lady and her family. I hope something good comes out of this.

Men don't get stalked as far as I know. At least in my experience. Although the other night this girl kept pounding on my bedroom door yelling open this door, open this door. I finally got sick of it and let her out.

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    Women are especially vulnerable to these loser type men. All the more reason for them to be armed. It is very sad for the lady and her family. I hope something good comes out of this.

Men don't get stalked as far as I know. At least in my experience. Although the other night this girl kept pounding on my bedroom door yelling open this door, open this door. I finally got sick of it and let her out.
    That's what David Letterman thought!

To the OP...
    A gun and SA are your two best friends.

Let's hear it for court orders...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    A restraining order would have been useless. The attacker appears to have been nuts. The order would have been ignored.

I wonder what was presented to the court which was too weak to cross the threshold needed for a restraining order. I was under the impression these were fairly easy to get with little in the way of 'proof' being needed.

"I want this person to stay away from me," really should be about all that is necessary for a judge to order, "stay away."

Some stuff you just can't prevent nor anticipate.

A restraining order is printed on the back of recycled Monopoly money.
    She in this specific case having a gun was no good either as dude ran up on her and dumped.
    She was gonna get got regardless whether she stayed home or went outside.

Unfortunate.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    If I were her with all those previous, significant experiences, I think I'd be on red alert the second I saw him physically approaching.

Still, yes, I believe this is one situation where a firearm most likely would not have helped - neither would a restraining order.

But, it is still a tragedy. I know exactly where that is, too... it sits right next to campus.

We have all seen this type of tragedy. I know it is nearly impossible to out guess the perp in advance, but I wonder if they could have sent out some local police or authorities to have a little "chat" with wonder boy? Why is it that we can't do preemptive strikes? We do it to countries, why not criminals? This just makes no sense whatsoever.

If it would have been my wife this guy was stalking, we'd be seeing me up on assault charges or worse, I guarantee!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    So he just went off his rocker or what? He appearantly was a good guy before... he passed background checks

The restraining order would have gotten his CWP pulled wouldn't it?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

If she had had a gun and knew how to use it, I believe it could have saved her life. From the article:
    Blanton called her husband on his cell phone when her attacker approached, Hassell said. Brent rushed to his wife of six months and found her on the ground. He started cardiopulmonary resuscitation, but it wasn't enough to save her.
    If she had enough time to pull out her cell phone and call her husband when she saw him approaching, she had enough time to pull a gun. Any restraining order would have been absolutely useless. Once he had decided he was willing to die to kill her, only a bullet was going to stop him.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    So he just went off his rocker or what? He appearantly was a good guy before... he passed background checks

The restraining order would have gotten his CWP pulled wouldn't it?
    I would think that a restraining order would have gotten his CWP pulled. In NY you get your license pulled and your pistols collected as far as I know.... Florida might be different though I don't know.....

Either way this is tragic.

She had time to call her husband, and he "came running" so obviously they both knew this man was somewhat dangerous.

If she had time to do that, she certainly had time to pull out a gun. It was an attack but not an ambush.

The woman had situational awareness enough to make a phone call. She had time to alert her husband that there was a threat, and who the threat was.

If she had grabbed a pistol in her purse instead of a cellphone in her pocket things might have been different.

Again if her husband "came running" there was fear. They were taking the threat pretty serious. Probably serious enough to draw a weapon if she had one.

But the fact is that some people don't want to carry. No matter what threat they are confronted with, a gun would not be an option. Its just sad that we live in a world where you just cannot rely on trusting people.

This woman was killed by a psycho, and sometimes there is just no way to stop them. They are willing to die to kill and that is no different than these terrorists we hunt.....

CHP or no CHP, psychopaths exist...... this guy was either always off his nut, or he found his way there through some twisted journey.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links