Man shot in head over video game

This is a discussion on Man shot in head over video game within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man shot in head over video game | HeraldTribune.com Man shot in head over video game Published: Saturday, February 13, 2010 at 1:00 a.m. Last ...

Thread: Man shot in head over video game

Man shot in head over video game | HeraldTribune.com

Published: Saturday, February 13, 2010 at 1:00 a.m.
    Last Modified: Friday, February 12, 2010 at 11:03 p.m.

MANATEE COUNTY - A domestic dispute over a video game erupted into a domestic melee late Thursday, with one man choking his mother, throwing his son across a room and then being shot in the head by his grandfather, according to reports.

James Swan, 27, was arrested late Thursday on charges he choked his mother, Hazel Summerall, 50, and threw his son across a room after Summerall tried to get him to stop playing the "World of Warcraft" video game.

The incident started about 10 p.m. in Summerall's home in the 6400 block of 12th Avenue East, according to a Manatee County Sheriff's report.

Swan was playing the game in a bedroom shared by several children, and was drinking alcohol and growing increasingly loud, Summerall told deputies. She asked Swan to stop playing, a request he ignored, and then she put a hand on his shoulder as she asked again.

Swan then grabbed her by the hair and threw her onto a bed, according to reports.

Swan then picked up his son, who was also in the room, and threw him onto the bed. As he did, Summerall ran into the kitchen to call police, but Swan ripped the phone off the wall, the report said.

Swan grabbed Summerall, threw her onto the living room floor, jumped on her and began choking her, the report said.

Swan's grandfather tried to stop the choking, failed, and then grabbed a handgun. He and Swan struggled and the gun fired; medical personnel later found a bullet entry wound in Swan's head and no exit wound.
    Poor headline. Should read: Man shot in head for being an idiot. Grandfather hero!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Swan was playing the game in a bedroom shared by several children, and was drinking alcohol and growing increasingly loud, Summerall told deputies. She [the mother] asked Swan to stop playing, a request he ignored, and then she put a hand on his shoulder as she asked again.

Swan then grabbed her by the hair and threw her onto a bed, according to reports.
    If as reported ...

By today's standards, I suppose this makes the mother the criminal and cause of the problem, given her extreme escalation and the fact she should have known what such an approach would cause.

The violent guy wants to commit adult-grade acts against others? He's going to get an adult response.

No indication of whether he's alive or dead, in that article. But it took two adults and being shot in order to stop his attacks on everyone. Kiss your silly little video game and cushy living arrangement goodbye, Johnnie.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Anyone who grabs Mama is looking for trouble. Good for the Grandfather for defending his family, even if the BG was part of his family.

I hope he survived the incident, he needs to spend time in general population with a shirt that says "I beat up my Mom and Son over a video game". That will go over real well.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I bet their family reunions are a hoot.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

In no way do I want to defend WoW from criticisms, but I think the article is overlooking a very important part of the story.
    and was drinking alcohol
    WoW is extremely addictive and many bad things have happened because of it, I know that. I used to play it a long time ago and am very glad I quit. However, this was not caused solely, or even primarily, by a video game. Games are the current target for losts of media criticism for being violent and evil, but they are usually only tangentially related, such as here. They are new and unknown to most people, so it is easy to blame them for being evil/disruptive/etc.
    The kicker is that stuff like this happens far more often about more mundane topics, such as football or the thanksgiving turkey. Those are time honored traditions for most people though, so they would never think about blaming them for death or violence in a family. More people have died from sports (even excluding accidents on the field), than video games, but the media sensationalizes video game fights.
    A more appropriate headline would have mentioned he was drinking, rather than that he was playing a game. If he was drunk and watching Teletubbies really really loud, it could easily have ended up the same way. It's not about the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I bet their family reunions are a hoot.
    Did you mean 'a hoot' or 'a shoot'?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Some people really get stressed playing video games, it's not their fault, it's the fault of the game manufacturers and he should sue them , the whole family should sue them.

Isn't that our society today ?

Maybe Grandpa should have used a hammer on the video game to begin with.

When my son got "real testy" with me about getting off a video game, I quietly walked out of the room, got some wipe snips, walked back into the room and cut every wire there was .... told him he couldn't play it again until he got a job and earned the money to replace all of the wiring. It took him 6 months to earn the money. After he got it 'fixed ' with new connections, etc. and was getting stupid again.... I walked in with wire snips in my hand and asked "do we need to have this conversation again ". We never did have to discuss video games again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Some people really get stressed playing video games, it's not their fault, it's the fault of the game manufacturers and he should sue them , the whole family should sue them.

Isn't that our society today ?

Maybe Grandpa should have used a hammer on the video game to begin with.

When my son got "real testy" with me about getting off a video game, I quietly walked out of the room, got some wipe snips, walked back into the room and cut every wire there was .... told him he couldn't play it again until he got a job and earned the money to replace all of the wiring. It took him 6 months to earn the money. After he got it 'fixed ' with new connections, etc. and was getting stupid again.... I walked in with wire snips in my hand and asked "do we need to have this conversation again ". We never did have to discuss video games again.
    Thats awesome. How old was he? I can see how that could easily be a grand down the drain real fast.

Bet this gets blamed on the video game (I think its a sh*tty game) and they sue the game makers.

Glad the grandfather was able to help in a way.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Sponsored Links